Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Reactions: 2 people

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For Miriamy:

All manufacturers run to a +/- rule, which all meters must pass to come to market, but that won't eradicate the odd faulty meter, of course. Incidentally, I understand the +/- percentage is being reduced by 50% sometime soon (I don't have dates), and this is proving a challenge for some manufacturers.

However, moving forward, you need to do a series of tests, which will probably begin to make sense, over time. Then you can trust your meter.

Assuming you are T2, you should be as much interested in trends and definite spikes than necessarily the actual numbers; although, obviously, we are usually chasing lower numbers; especially when we are beginning to test. If your meter comes with software, I am sure it will allow you to track your trends. That coupled with a food diary will help you understand the impact of certain foods on your blood scores, and that's where it starts to make sense.

Try not to focus on individual scores in isolation (although we all do it from time to time), as sometimes we can return a score that doesn't seem to make sense in the light of all our evidence. Let the trend be your friend.

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
3.9 this morning, after a large portion of beef rendang last night, including noodles. It was sooooooo delicious.

:)

Reactions: 2 people

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans
All manufacturers run to a +/- rule, which all meters must pass to come to market, but that won't eradicate the odd faulty meter, of course. Incidentally, I understand the +/- percentage is being reduced by 50% sometime soon (I don't have dates), and this is proving a challenge for some manufacturers.

However, moving forward, you need to do a series of tests, which will probably begin to make sense, over time. Then you can trust your meter.

Assuming you are T2, you should be as much interested in trends and definite spikes than necessarily the actual numbers; although, obviously, we are usually chasing lower numbers; especially when we are beginning to test. If your meter comes with software, I am sure it will allow you to track your trends. That coupled with a food diary will help you understand the impact of certain foods on your blood scores, and that's where it starts to make sense.

Try not to focus on individual scores in isolation (although we all do it from time to time), as sometimes we can return a score that doesn't seem to make sense in the light of all our evidence. Let the trend be your friend.

Thanks for your good and useful advise. My trends this week have been fasting - 9.1 & 1 hour after meal - 11.2 and 2 hour after meal - 8. Not sure what this means but seems high compared to what others are achieving e.g. 4, 5 6, 's.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I would suggest that because your after meal peaks are at 1 hour, reducing by 2 hours, you are eating too many quick release carbs at one sitting.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Today is the day I increase my metformin to two tablets a day. Fingers crossed it brings down my morning levels.

I was 6.2 this morning. Might be a coincidence, but usually I am around the 7 mark.

My nurse is on holiday this week, but I got a call today from another nurse at the surgery to say the doctor had seen my new hba1c result (38) and said I don't need to take the extra metformin tablet. I told her that I wanted to take it for a wee while to see if my waking bg improves as it is still quite high despite the good average. She didn't know what to say. Not used to people self-testing I guess.

Anyhoo, onwards and downwards :)

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
4.0 for me today. I note I missed posting a couple of days, but nothing to report on those. A 4.0 and a 4.3. Same old, same old for me. :)

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Had cold. Went away. Came back. Bloods all over place. 7.6 this morning. Put on lb too! :(

Status
Not open for further replies.