Type 2's: What was your fasting blood glucose in a morning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not sure about how my tester is calibrated. It's a bayer contour next usb. I like it but I don't understand it!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

What don't you understand? Is it the meter functionality or don't the reading seem to make sense?

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fell asleep in the chair last night and woke up at 3am. Quite wobbly so at some 85% chocolate before going to bed. 5.3 at 10am before breakfast.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Medics who tell you what to do.
Politicians who blame people for being poor and praise bankers for being rich.
TV
Butter Beans

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
How would I know if the reading is correct?
How do you know a clock is correct? You compare and contrast. Take several readings over several days an you will get to understand the correctness of your meter. Does it matter if it isnt exact just that it says you have gone up or down by a certain amount.

If you have many meters you can test and compare them but you have no datum. Maybe next time you have a fasting take your reading at the same time as your blood is taken and use that as a datum

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV
Butter Beans
How do you know a clock is correct? You compare and contrast. Take several readings over several days an you will get to understand the correctness of your meter. Does it matter if it isnt exact just that it says you have gone up or down by a certain amount.

If you have many meters you can test and compare them but you have no datum. Maybe next time you have a fasting take your reading at the same time as your blood is taken and use that as a datum
Thanks Andrew. I have 2 meters the same. I'll try that tomorrow morning

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV
Butter Beans
Hi Andrew
Checked my fasting bg at 6am today using 2 different contour next meters. 8.1 or 7.4. That seems like a big difference to me. What do you think?

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV
Butter Beans
My fasting bg has been up around 8 or 9 for the last week. Seems to be high generally. Sometimes it goes down to a lower level during the day but mostly not. I'm in process of cutting down my carb intake and this is having an impact on lowering my bg but generally they seem to be on the high end of the range or just above throughout the day. This is demoralising. Thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV
Butter Beans
My fasting bg has been up around 8 or 9 for the last week. Seems to be high generally. Sometimes it goes down to a lower level during the day but mostly not. I'm in process of cutting down my carb intake and this is having an impact on lowering my bg but generally they seem to be on the high end of the range or just above throughout the day. This is demoralising. Thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

One hour later bg had dropped to 7. I'm going to try the slow release bedtime snack and see if I can halt the liver dump..... hope no one's getting board. My bg obsession is stopping me falling off the wagon.
Whatever it takes. ...;-)

Karen.G.

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
One hour later bg had dropped to 7. I'm going to try the slow release bedtime snack and see if I can halt the liver dump..... hope no one's getting board. My bg obsession is stopping me falling off the wagon.
Whatever it takes. ...;-)

I am exactly the same Miriamy - whatever it takes :)

On one of your earlier posts you mentioned the difference between two readings on two different machines "Checked my fasting bg at 6am today using 2 different contour next meters. 8.1 or 7.4. That seems like a big difference to me. What do you think?" - to me that doesn't seem a big difference. You can get different readings off each hand as well at the same time - but I think that's normal.

There was a post the other day about the dawn phenomenon - you would be surprised about how many people it effects - it's worth a read.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV
Butter Beans
I am exactly the same Miriamy - whatever it takes :)

On one of your earlier posts you mentioned the difference between two readings on two different machines "Checked my fasting bg at 6am today using 2 different contour next meters. 8.1 or 7.4. That seems like a big difference to me. What do you think?" - to me that doesn't seem a big difference. You can get different readings off each hand as well at the same time - but I think that's normal.

There was a post the other day about the dawn phenomenon - you would be surprised about how many people it effects - it's worth a read.

Thanks Karen, I'll take a look at that post.

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.6 on waking but down to 5.2 half an hour later after showering and getting dressed. Both readings are in my 'normal' morning range.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

There are some natural remedies. Cinnamon is one. I think I read somewhere on the forum that cider vinegar is another. I'll start a new thread for you :)

Reactions: 2 people

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
6.6! Can't seem to get my fasting below 6! :(

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Today is the day I increase my metformin to two tablets a day. Fingers crossed it brings down my morning levels.

miriamy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
TV
Butter Beans
There are some natural remedies. Cinnamon is one. I think I read somewhere on the forum that cider vinegar is another. I'll start a new thread for you :)

I sometimes take cider vinegar to relieve arthritis. I'll try that. (It works for my chickens too;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.