Poll - side effects from statins?

If you have used statins, did you experience significant side effects from using them?

• Total voters

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
With question marks emerging over claims that 20 percent of statin users experience side effects, what is this community's experience with statins? Please only respond to the poll if you have actually taken statins.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If you have used multiple statins, answer Yes if any of the statins gave you side effects. Sorry I should have added that as another choice.

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
I have cast my vote with a yes.

The first statin I was pushed on some years ago (can't recall its name) gave me a muddled memory and kind of a low mood - not something I wanted in my then very active working life where I was constantly on. I went off it myself (didn't actually tell my doctor at the time).

Next time was when I had my diabetes diagnosis. My doctor (or rather his young temp) - insisted on my taking statins (this time Simvastatin). After two weeks, my feet and legs had become elephantine and with large red areas of blotches. The temp argued that I should learn to live with this. I flat refused though.

I was then put on another statin (Ezetrol) - but by then having had so bad experiences with statins, I started scouring the internet for more information. This made me choose to discontinue statins.

Anyway, I found that a slightly higher level of cholesterol in women 'of a certain age' is in fact beneficial - who would have thought that! Anyway, we produce up to 90% of our cholesterols ourselves irrespective of fat intake or statins.

I have read that in the US, the official recommendations are now that all diabetics shall routinely be prescribed statins. (Are big pharma in play here?)

annelise

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Great idea for a poll and very interesting as this is a very hot topic at the moment!:)
(Although any potential pharma shills 'anti statin alert' alarm will be ringing off the wall right now quite possibly!);):jimlad:

Reactions: 4 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ye Gods yes, first prescribed Simvastatin as a "precaution" some years ago, which being a good girl, I took. Within a month I was wracked with pain and could hardly walk . GP couldn't find a cause but said that it was unlikely to be the statins . Not being convinced I stopped taking them and the pain vanished in 48 hours. ( my cholesterol was within the normal range at the time of them being prescribed )

The second time I had slightly raised cholesterol for two consecutive tests, and my diabetes had been poorly controlled for a while. I refused statins because of my previous experience and held out for a while but was more or less bullied into trying Atorvastatin (spelling?)

My BG went through the roof almost straight away despite nothing else changing, the pain in my legs returned with bells on so after one month I stopped taking them . My BG went down, the pain stopped and my GP was convinced I was blaming the statins for poor dietary control , the pain on sod knows what and told me I increased my risk of heart problems by 24% by stopping them ! :eek:

That made me try taking plant sterols instead, and my last cholesterol was just fine :) Whether it is the plant sterols or low carbing , I don't know. Incidentally, at both times of taking statins, I was unaware that people had been having problems with them, so it certainly wasn't psychosomatic.

Apparently there is something in the leaflet that comes with Atorvastatin that it can raise BG, though my GP has said that this side effect is "unknown"

Signy

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh and I forgot to say that both times my cognitive function was plain awful, according to the doc this was " probably a sign of me being depressed" . When I discontinued them, I was fine after a couple of days :)

Signy

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so far so good. I found them too effective with LCHF and cut them back

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've only recently started Simvastatin, and I've been having pains in both my legs. My calf muscles feel tight, just like they do when you've done a lot of exercise.

On just reading the leaflet inside the box it seems this is a side effect, and warrants discontinuing the medicine, as it can cause muscle deterioration. Maybe I just should stop taking it and try to reduce the cholesterol through diet

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Zero side effects for me, ive stopped taking them for other reasons

Reactions: 2 people

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I've only recently started Simvastatin, and I've been having pains in both my legs. My calf muscles feel tight, just like they do when you've done a lot of exercise.

On just reading the leaflet inside the box it seems this is a side effect, and warrants discontinuing the medicine, as it can cause muscle deterioration. Maybe I just should stop taking it and try to reduce the cholesterol through diet
I have been taking Simvastin 40mg daily for 6-months my leg and arm muscles feel sorer too. Hard to know as I do run a lot and lift weights and do PT.

It seems like they never recover. Also, I have a chronic back ache - at first I thought it was typical hard to deal with back pain, but now I am wondering if it has something to do with Simvastin

Is 40mg a large dose? Is there a blood test to determine if my muscles are being affected?

Sent from Runner2009 Burt

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Simvastatin 40mg then 20mg. Muscle pains in calf/knee/thigh so stopped. Now OK!

Last edited by a moderator:

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking Simvastin 40mg daily for 6-months my leg and arm muscles feel sorer too. Hard to know as I do run a lot and lift weights and do PT.

It seems like they never recover. Also, I have a chronic back ache - at first I thought it was typical hard to deal with back pain, but now I am wondering if it has something to do with Simvastin

Is 40mg a large dose? Is there a blood test to determine if my muscles are being affected?

If you exercise a lot then your probably used to it and if you are experiencing aching muscles more now, then I guess it could be the Simvastatin.

I take 40mg too, i think it mid way. Starting with 10mg and maximum 80 mg.

At first when I started feeling the pains I put it down to having walked a lot the day before, but it didn't go away, and it's just a continuous tightness in my calves.

I'm sure there would be a blood test, but of course you'd have to approach your GP with your concerns.

this is too difficult

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
diabetes

Has PT noticed a difference in you?

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only times I have experienced problems is when taking oral thrush medication and an antibiotic called clarithrmycin . I got terrible muscle spasms then a pharmacist told me they were contra indicated for both these meds. The answer was not to take them whilst taking the meds then resume them after the course was finished.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

runner2009

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
The only times I have experienced problems is when taking oral thrush medication and an antibiotic called clarithrmycin . I got terrible muscle spasms then a pharmacist told me they were contra indicated for both these meds. The answer was not to take them whilst taking the meds then resume them after the course was finished.

What is thrush medication?

Liz55

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi @liz did your pain in your calf go away eventually. As for any difference, my next blood test and appointment is two weeks from now.

I've only been taking this for just over 2 weeks, but I've had the pain continuously since I started taking the drug. Not easing up at all, and some days affects my knees too.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Bad reactions with every statin.
Took 2 years initially free from taking stains for my legs to recover.
1 year free from pain then new Practice n consultants persuaded me to try again.
So bad last time on atoravastatin that again I was getting bad feelings in my heart (and legs again).
Twice atoravastain tried and twice that paticular statin gave me horrible feelings within left side of my chest.
Free from statins since xmas, heart pain went immediately. Leg pains continue.. But I know from previous that they will prob take 2 years to recover..
Was diagnosed with diabetic amotrophy but this since having tests has been undiagnosed.. So only thing it can be is statins....
I am thin and muscular and my legs have no fat..
Was tested 6 weeks after taking statins to see if they affected my muscles.. Negative..Idon't believe this test bears any significance at all for statin damage.

On iphone app, is there an actual poll or do I need to go on main site to view, or is it just experiences? Sorry to be thick.

No GP or Consultant has ever logged my side effects with MHRA. I asked them... Did it myself..

patjenkins1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thrush is a fungal condition that anyone can get either in the mouth or down below. I get it a lit in my mouth because I take combined steroid inhalers for a lung condition. You can get cream for down below but I need tablets for mouth infections. They are contra indicated with statins

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I was on Simvastatin for manŷ years and my lipids just kept on going up, very slowly but surely. Due to economics at my GP they moved me on to Atorvastatin 40mg which I take daily. I have no idea if it causes me pain any where as I have severe rheumatoid arthritis along with cardiac problems. I would think that I am one of those who should continue to take a statin as the risk outweighs the benefits. Caught between a rock and a hard place.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.