bmj statins & lies

A

AnnieC

[
Well there is a financial incentive to prescribe certain drugs (such as statins) to meet the targets imposed upon GPs.

Personally, I don't think any GP would deliberately do something that they thought would cause harm, but they are stuck in a state of cognitive dissonance. Everyone 'knows' that virtually no one gets side effects from statins (see above) and here is a patient presenting with side effects - what to do? Well, nothing it's all in their heads because statins virtually never cause side effects and so the parade continues.

Best

Dillinger
But we all know that any drug can cause side effects so I am sure doctors would expect to see some patients on statins with them.
My doctor was adamant that if I had any muscular pains especially in my legs I should stop taking them straight away and see her as it can be serious so she was well aware that some patients would have side effects and she would take it seriously.if they did

A

AnnieC

I'm very glad 2 Balance readers wrote in with their muscle pain problems with statins. I though my pains were due to advancing age & diabetes complications. I stopped taking them & the pains went in a week.
Well didn't your doctor warn you about that also it does state on the leaflet that should you experience any muscle pain to see your GP

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
some people get side-effects others don't, however your more likely to hear about the ones that do than the ones that don't.

Probably, but does that make it any less important?

I'm also concerned about the potential longer term side effects that possibly haven't yet become obvious - those cognitive function issues that result from the collateral damage of statins in suppressing co-enzyme Q10 and dolichols. That still seems to be a ticking time bomb to me, and I don't doubt that the pharm companies will be doing what they can to fob any of this off with "well you're getting older, what do you expect" type excuses.

It's always a god idea to question who is paying the bill for medical research, as true independent science seems to be an endangered species these days. Also remember that population statistics does not apply to any specific individual - it's your body and you can take what action you feel is appropriate to your own circumstances and in your own interests

Reactions: 6 people

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I ever suffer any side effects from taking statins I will stop taking them but I will tell my doctor about it not other people. I would not want anyone to be frightened to take them because I had bad side effects from them
Statins are something we have to make our own minds up to take and find out for ourself if they suit us we should not be influenced by what others who have had a bad effect have said about them
I think you are wrong here. Most people will believe their GPs and most GPs will disregard side effects of statins and probably other drugs as well. So if your friends and acquaintances complain of pain, high blood sugar and poor memory you will keep quiet? As the only one you will share your possible side effects with is your GP? That is a strange way to be friends IMO.

Reactions: 8 people
A

AnnieC

I think you are wrong here. Most people will believe their GPs and most GPs will disregard side effects of statins and probably other drugs as well. So if your friends and acquaintances complain of pain, high blood sugar and poor memory you will keep quiet? As the only one you will share your possible side effects with is your GP? That is a strange way to be friends IMO.

Of course I would suggest they see their doctor but I am sure they would do that anyway it is just common sense

There are some who try to scare people about taking statins and that is wrong. There are always going to be the two sides who will not agree with each other those that take statins and are happy with them and those that don't and in the end it is down to personal choice..end of

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Trouble is if it wasn't for the internet and freedom of information act etc none of us would actually be able to make informed choices etc..

As much as people (like me) have had horrendous problems, lots of people don't.

All I am trying to say is "yes, there is always two sides to a story" if people are unaware of side effects that may occur they are doomed to a life of pure hell with muscle damage. If intermet access hadn't been available to me to check symptoms etc I would have been in a worse situ than I currently am. Yes, there are those that are hugely helped by stains that have heart attacks etc.... But you should not live obliviously to others...

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

forty six

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well there is a financial incentive to prescribe certain drugs (such as statins) to meet the targets imposed upon GPs.

Personally, I don't think any GP would deliberately do something that they thought would cause harm, but they are stuck in a state of cognitive dissonance. Everyone 'knows' that virtually no one gets side effects from statins (see above) and here is a patient presenting with side effects - what to do? Well, nothing it's all in their heads because statins virtually never cause side effects and so the parade continues.

Best

Dillinger

I do not believe that my GP would prescribe something that she knew would be bad for me but I do know that every time she gives me a repeat prescription for Metformin SR the system my clinic uses prompts her to change it to the cheaper one. I have told her that there is no point in wasting the governments money by prescribing me statins as I am simply not taking them, her reply was that she would make a mark on my file but someone from the clinic would have to speak to me each year on the anniversary of my diagnosis. I have discovered that this is to maintain their points system.

What is missing here is that we are looking at all Dr's as just that Dr's. There is a world of difference between a GP on the coal face who is being told by their patients how bad the muscle cramps are compared to a professor who has spent 20+ years in a lab having their work funded by large drug companies. They never have to face the public and their side effects and as long as they are paying their mortgage the results of prescribing more statins just means they keep their jobs and possibly shares in the company as well.

I feel it is incumbent upon us to research what we are being given and not just to accept at face value what we are being told. There are some lucky people who will never have a side effect from a statin just as there are those who have never had breathing difficulties from Tramadol, but for those on the other side of the coin life is not so clear cut.

Regards,

fortysix

Reactions: 5 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Maintain their points system.. Which they are graded and paid by....

Lets face it... I give my gardening customers priority by who pays me the best and whose nicest to me... At the end of the day... If it pours with rain for 4 days I go to the person that I get most money from on the 5th day. Can still weigh this up to gp's... And NICE etc...we are all influenced by money.. And GP's are businesses, so, of course, they are being influenced by points, targets etc that pay their wages.....

Incidentally my hubby takes 1 of my old unused atoravastatin a week because his cholesterol total was 6.7... He wasn't offered statins, just anannual check up due in the next 4 weeks. He has no side effects yet, and I'm going to be intrsted in his results to see if the research consultant was right at the QE2 hospital that just one atoravastin a week would lower levels of cholesterol.....

In our family I am against statins, my husband hasn't been influenced by my experiences.. He is still capable of weighing his own health and options up.

A

AnnieC

Before the days of the internet we could not research anything like we can now we just trusted our doctors to prescribe the medication that would be good for whatever we were suffering from and rarely would we have questioned the doctors judgement
I for one do not do a lot of research as I think we can become paranoid about it and sometimes it can do us more harm than good. It seems we are as human beings more inclined to believe the bad about something rather than the good even though we can usually find equal amounts of each.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Go down to the end.. Its more dire when you read the extract of the nurse having stomach surgery and still being so addicted she liquified the junk food and has put 7 stone on!!

What hope is there when a nurse does this-lol

I don't see that mentioned in the article, are you reading the right one DD?

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes definitely.. Its in blue text as a further article when they are stating about further articles you can click on to...

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes definitely.. Its in blue text as a further article when they are stating about further articles you can click on to...

I see, i thought you were saying it was mentioned in the statin article :D

That is a sad story, she obviously has some serious issues with food that the gastric band was never going to resolve.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK my point of view is this - statins can cause muscle weakness in some people - the heart is a muscle too. This is why I have refused them,.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
OK my point of view is this - statins can cause muscle weakness in some people - the heart is a muscle too. This is why I have refused them,.
Totally agree Zand.. After two lots of heart/chest pains when taking them..no more

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I think the most important thing for anybody, diabetic or not, that they check whether their GP reports to MHRA. (Or not).
It would be interesting for people talking about side effects here, if they checked with GP or nurse etc and said yay or nay on this post...

A

AnnieC

As a matter of interest do you all worry and research about any other drugs you take and what the long term effects could be for you it does not matter how long you have been taking something you can always develope side effects