Pump Approved :))

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
Getting used to this pump thing even managed a decent nights sleep set change went fine on Friday go live Monday and the sleepless nights begin only a week at work then holidays for 12 days

Reactions: 6 people
H

Hooked

Getting used to this pump thing even managed a decent nights sleep set change went fine on Friday go live Monday and the sleepless nights begin only a week at work then holidays for 12 days
Great stuff. Good luck for Monday!

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Thank you will keep u all updated in between sleeps :p

Reactions: 2 people

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well day 1 almost over level stayed pretty good all day between 5 and 7 until a 2.5 at 1730 took the dextrose and had t bolused for and was sitting 7.5 2 hrs later 10pm reading 13.3 suspecting a rebound from the hypo will speak to DSN in the morning to check absolutely knacks red but can't sleep until midnight test done then 3hrs sleep :)) keep u all updated and this from the one until 9 months ago couldn't care less

Reactions: 4 people
H

Hooked

Well day 1 almost over level stayed pretty good all day between 5 and 7 until a 2.5 at 1730 took the dextrose and had t bolused for and was sitting 7.5 2 hrs later 10pm reading 13.3 suspecting a rebound from the hypo will speak to DSN in the morning to check absolutely knacks red but can't sleep until midnight test done then 3hrs sleep :)) keep u all updated and this from the one until 9 months ago couldn't care less
Sounds great. I was told it could take a few days for things to even out as the long lasting completely leaves your system. I've been in today for my two week review, basal for overnight and morning tweeked, so hopefully things will run smoother for me.

It's amazing the difference a pump makes compared to injections, isn't it?

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Wakened up at 24.3 this morning got a fright changed set did pen correction still nothing worked in to see nurse this after noon did pen correction changed set and crash hit 3.2 then came home getting undressed and pulled the set 3. Set changes in a day I feel like a pin cushion atleast I will be getting used to it, phoned animas yesterday to order supplies was told I wasn't on the system and that a box of sets (10) would last a month eh don't think so DSN gave me another box today and going to email to find out what's going on. A not very good day it has to be said feeling a bit down with it all hope I'm just exhausted

iHs

Sometimes when bg is really high, the correction factor can start to become ????. I usually, always correct a very high bg with my pen and do double the calculation, tell the pump what I have done and then wait for bg to lower which usually takes about 2hrs to start moving downwards to a level safe enough to bolus with pump for food again.

There can be a few reasons for high bg levels but the most common one is basal rate not correct any longer which can anc does happen unfortunately even with bssal rate testing but usually, a pattern starts to happen if the problem is basal rates. If its a set problem then its a bit more difficult to know if its where the set is placed or if its the right length cannula. Just remember to keep bg testing to see if a pattern emerges. Also, if you change the settings, remember what's been changed and you'll be able to compare the new results with the old.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same here, if my blood sugar is very high, it takes a lot more insulin to correct each mmol/L than usual. I think this is quite common, it was discussed on my DAFNE. But interestingly while my approach was similar to iHs, I increase the dose, others said they just do normal correction doses and wait it out, test after 4 hours and correct again. The point being, big highs lead to big corrections lead to big lows. So two different takes on that.

I'm really sorry you are having grief on the pump. It reminds me very much of my first couple of weeks. :-(

It will get better!

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Well people week 1 over Åland I have survived so far :)) wee bit wobbly on Thursday after that high but has all settled down now even got through the adrenalin bursting scottish cup final unscathed (nothing was stopping me going ) all sitting pretty in the 4-8 range just need to sort out the carb count of the take away but it's getting even got the combo bolus and 1st basal check out the way at the weekend DSN on Thursday may see something I am missing but starting to feel confident with things even managed to get the supplies ordered from animas today

Hope you are all good

Danae

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Well people week 1 over Åland I have survived so far :)) wee bit wobbly on Thursday after that high but has all settled down now even got through the adrenalin bursting scottish cup final unscathed (nothing was stopping me going ) all sitting pretty in the 4-8 range just need to sort out the carb count of the take away but it's getting even got the combo bolus and 1st basal check out the way at the weekend DSN on Thursday may see something I am missing but starting to feel confident with things even managed to get the supplies ordered from animas today

Hope you are all good

Danae
Great stuff Danae, really well done !

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Hope you are all good

Danae

Well done Danae, glad everything has gone as hoped so far with the exception of your wobbly Thursday.

If you don't mind me asking are you NHS Tayside? Just thought you might be due to your avatar picture.

Also well done on your weekend victory!!

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hi dtennant9 thanks for the comment the weekend was amazing I was with NHS tayside but moved to fife a year back any reason you ask ?

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi dtennant9 thanks for the comment the weekend was amazing I was with NHS tayside but moved to fife a year back any reason you ask ?

Glad you enjoyed it, I support another of your local rivals but glad the underdog won!

The only reason I ask is because I am with NHS Tayside and have had a pump application in since February but haven't heard a peep out of them, was just wondering if that was normal as I know it can be area dependant.

When I was at clinic in February the Dr was really positive about it and didn't want to see me as quickly as usual as he was sure I would be back before then.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
I started down the path end of november and was pumping by the 6th may I made sure I saw my dietician monthly as well as my DSN to make sure I wasnt forgotten about I have not seen my consultant officially since January so I would get in touch with DSN to see where they are with your application or if there is anything that can be done from your end to help speed things up they were a nightmare for me to the point I never went to them in 7 years I am paying the price now but with a bit of hard work I should be able to get things stable :)

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I hope it all works out for you.

I did phone them about a month ago and was told that they were currently reviewing the referrals but the person who deals with it was not there that day. The DSN I spoke said if I didn't hear back then it was all on track, so guess it's positive that I've not heard anything.

I'll maybe phone the dietician as she is the one that goes through the application with you in Tayside so might get me more accurate information.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That is probably a good starting point do you carb count ? I had to go on a course in fife to show I was competent also food diaries to get ratios correct after that it was quic meeting with a dr and boom form signed off

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah done the Tayside version of DAFNE.
Sent the dietician an email yesterday, she's out of office till Friday so maybe she will shed some light on the position.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
It's about pushing and rightly or wrongly it often those that shout the loudest get the results let me know how you get on

Danae

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's about pushing and rightly or wrongly it often those that shout the loudest get the results let me know how you get on

Danae
Apparently it was approved in March and I should have had a letter out.
At least I know the application wasn't lost and was considered.

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Fab you found out what's happening now then ?