Numb fingers!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all, a few weeks ago (thankfully it's stopped now) each morning I'd wake up with really numb fingers like if I placed a nail through them I wouldn't feel it! Then it would turn into pins and needles, then back to normal.

Hopefully I've just slept on my hand in the night lol but has anyone else had this??

Thanks, Laura :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have been noticing this lately since going on the pump and low carbing. Hopefully it's nothing to do with either. I suppose the likelihood is it's due to declining peripheral circulation, which we diabetics are all prone to get.

RosieDred

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had exactly the same start about a month before diagnosis and was diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome about 2 months ago. Was told to get a wrist support brace and it's really helped and most days I don't get any numbness now

sophsss

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
When I have high blood sugar levels I notice that I get this tingling sensation in my fingers like pins and needles... Maybe your diabetes could affect what is happening

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
when my fingers go like that, it normally means that my bloods have dropped below 4.5 and heading towards the hypo zone

H

Hooked

When my carpal tunnel syndrome started it was a bit like that, but I'd also feel the wrist was achy or weak when carrying out certain tasks. It got worse, coming and going as the years went on. It does seem to flare up when levels are up.... but can flare up at other times too.

It might not be carpal tunnel in your case, but I'd still want to get it checked out if I were you.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
when my fingers go like that, it normally means that my bloods have dropped below 4.5 and heading towards the hypo zone
I get a similar behaviour as you and in fact as my levels fall below 5.5 the tips of my fingers go cold (travelling up my hands) until they then start to go numb. I am glad to see someone else that gets the same.

Reactions: 2 people

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get a similar behaviour as you and in fact as my levels fall below 5.5 the tips of my fingers go cold (travelling up my hands) until they then start to go numb. I am glad to see someone else that gets the same.
glad to see i'm not alone....when my bm drops below 4 that when my hands start shaking, and thats the start of hypo for me

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I had symptoms like this (on waking numb hands/arms then pins&needles) when a herniated disc in my spine - neck area (I think C5?) - flared up. Plus I have some spinal stenosis = bone growth that makes it easy to trap/put pressure on nerves. Would come and go - physio and Pilates mostly stopped recurrances. But this about 6 years before diabetes diagnosis.

If continues to troublesome may be worth getting looked at by orthopedic/spinal referral, as not necessarily D related.

Reactions: 2 people