Sick and tired of being sick and tired

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was diagnosed as being deficient by blood test. The endo then told me I could take a massive dose (forget the amount now) once a fortnight or take 2,000 iu per day. I find it's much easier to have a routine of taking tablets daily, so went with that. I was tested again after 6 months and was okay, so then reduced to 1000, then to less regular amounts. I then made a habit of trying to get at least 20 minutes sun exposure every day (which is pretty easy to do in Western Australia) and just take one when I feel I'm not getting enough sun. In the winter months I go back to taking it more regularly.

I think the D3/K2 combo is recommended more for bone health reasons, though I have started incorporating K2 into my supplementation as well. There's now combination supplements available, so am going to swap to one of those. I've only started hearing about K2 in the past year and it sounds like a very smart idea to supplement it, especially since it's pretty hard to get enough from food. Apparently all the fat soluble vitamins are also important for dental and eye health as well, so probably also a good idea for diabetics.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
How much d3 are you taking Calamity?

I think there is a big difference between company's though.. Mine are from Healthspan.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking 2000 of D3 for a few weeks now and today was the first morning I woke with my mind feeling brighter, if you know what I mean. I guess it does take time to work.
My fibro has pretty much disappeared because of improved brain and pushing my body so physically too.

Having had fibro diagnosis from rheumatologist and been on every drug in the land, then I can honestly say that D3 and really changing the way my brain was thinking too and physically pushing myself so hard... That is what has made mine so much better.

The less the muscles are used the more pain is my thought on fibro. And then the pain mskes you down, and then on a big circle roundabout..

I also bought a sitting down exerciser for my legs... So I literally push them all the timewhen sitting as well.

The tens/ems machine is sat in cupboard.. As I needed to use my muscles myself.

From being on full DLA and barely able to get out of bed... There is a way to fight fibro.. But sorry, I agree with GP on this-not rheumotolgist... Fibro is unknown source of pain in muscles....rheumotologists do not know the cause or treatment for this pain at all. I go with GP's on this..one... Mainly brain in a vicious downward circle...

I have been thinking about what you said and I think you may well be right. I am starting to think that my pain is coming from my spine. I have degenerative disk disease in L4 and L5 and it could be possible that pain from that radiates into muscles, and my pain is always worse in the evenings and eases when I go to bed. If I walk my dogs or lift anything a bit heavy it triggers it off, so painkiller and a rest help there. I started on D3 a few weeks ago and today I woke feeling brighter in my mind, despite the gloomy weather! I'm taking 2000iu? a day at the moment. I am trying to be as active as possible and pace myself. I think that depression does play a part and the pain/depression/pain cycle can be hard to break, but feeling brighter does help!

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
Was refused the victosa :/ spoke to my doctor again as the dizziness/unsteady Ness is worse so is my eyesight, tho my bg levels for the past 3 days have been between 5 & 9, I have felt worse than ever :( coming up to 2 weeks now on the vitamin D, tho I'm a little confused about the dose I've been put on compared to others (don't trust my doctor whatsoever as she's got SO much wrong in the past), am on 800 iu of colecalciferol per day, tho leaflet says 20mcg colecalciferol corresponding to 800 iu vitamin D 3.

I wasn't depressed at all but am starting to get now as I have no quality of life, sometimes can barely sit up for more than 10mins, Dr is not interested, my daughter s birthday in a couple weeks at this rate I won't even be able to see her :(

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was refused the victosa :/ spoke to my doctor again as the dizziness/unsteady Ness is worse so is my eyesight, tho my bg levels for the past 3 days have been between 5 & 9, I have felt worse than ever :( coming up to 2 weeks now on the vitamin D, tho I'm a little confused about the dose I've been put on compared to others (don't trust my doctor whatsoever as she's got SO much wrong in the past), am on 800 iu of colecalciferol per day, tho leaflet says 20mcg colecalciferol corresponding to 800 iu vitamin D 3.

I wasn't depressed at all but am starting to get now as I have no quality of life, sometimes can barely sit up for more than 10mins, Dr is not interested, my daughter s birthday in a couple weeks at this rate I won't even be able to see her :(
800iu is a very low dose and won't begin to cover your deficiency. What was your level on the blood test? As I said in my post, my endocrinologist put me on 2,000iu a day until my levels came back to normal.

Reactions: 2 people

sunday1980

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who value money over family/friendsip
Yeah reading up on it, is nearer a daily intake dose, not treatment for a deficiency, 'sigh', this is why I'm so Fed up of my doctors, took reading on here to even realise I should be tested for it, they missed the diabetes completely, makes u ask what else are they missing or cocking up :/

Not sure what my exact levels were, will ring receptionist in morning for numbers, think in future will ask for a results printout.

My tablets leaflet says max dose is 5 tablets per day so I will double them for now and see how I go, can buy them off the shelf anyways lol

Max recommended dose is 10,000 iu so long way off from that.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Just to give you a reference point - my first test showed my level as 41 (recommended range 51-150). My level after 6 months of supplementation and additional sun exposure (though it was in the winter months) was 88.

I'm almost obsessive about keeping printouts/spreadsheet records of my results these days and take the file with me to any/every doctors appointment, especially when I see a new practitioner. It makes life a lot easier!

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I have been taking 2000 of D3 for a few weeks now and today was the first morning I woke with my mind feeling brighter, if you know what I mean. I guess it does take time to work.

I have been thinking about what you said and I think you may well be right. I am starting to think that my pain is coming from my spine. I have degenerative disk disease in L4 and L5 and it could be possible that pain from that radiates into muscles, and my pain is always worse in the evenings and eases when I go to bed. If I walk my dogs or lift anything a bit heavy it triggers it off, so painkiller and a rest help there. I started on D3 a few weeks ago and today I woke feeling brighter in my mind, despite the gloomy weather! I'm taking 2000iu? a day at the moment. I am trying to be as active as possible and pace myself. I think that depression does play a part and the pain/depression/pain cycle can be hard to break, but feeling brighter does help!

So how are you doing now Beshlie?

I hope you are finding that D3 is helping you.. Feeling brighter helps the brain and long term the pain...

Honestly from being absolutely crippled a few years back and with diagnosis of fibro and shed loads of dreaful mind numbing tablets... After 8 hours physical hard digging river banks yesterday I then came home and didn't stop being active till 9pm last night, from getting up at 4.30 yest morn. This I can do day in, day out now and the only things I sometimes have is a glass of red wine in the bath with two paracetomals.. At most...

Hope you are feeling some improvement...

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is nothing to stop you taking extra vitamin D. I am prescribed 800 iu in my Calcichew D3 Forte but I take and additional 3000 iu of D3. I need this much to feel well. I'm not an outdoors person - work in an office, drive there and back.

calamitygayn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I stopped taking 40,000 iu last week as I thought I wasn't seeing any difference. ...last couple of days im absolutely and completely exhausted. ...I can't even think about going for a walk. exhausted doesn't cover it! im tired. tired and a bit more tired. ........vit D all is forgiven! im coming back today! !!!!

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So how are you doing now Beshlie?

I hope you are finding that D3 is helping you.. Feeling brighter helps the brain and long term the pain...

Honestly from being absolutely crippled a few years back and with diagnosis of fibro and shed loads of dreaful mind numbing tablets... After 8 hours physical hard digging river banks yesterday I then came home and didn't stop being active till 9pm last night, from getting up at 4.30 yest morn. This I can do day in, day out now and the only things I sometimes have is a glass of red wine in the bath with two paracetomals.. At most...

Hope you are feeling some improvement...

Well, the D3 I think is definitely helping with my low mood/depression. which, as you say, helps a lot.

With regards to pain, my muscles feel fine, but I may have to have a type of epidural in my lower spine to ease the pain there, but that is nothing to do with fibro, it's osteoarthritis. This is what prevents me from being as active as I would like. At one time I was also given some heavy pain meds, but they only mask pain, not cure it, and also made me a bit 'out of it!' so I stopped them, and now take paracetamol and a small dose of codeine.

Time is young yet with taking D3 and I hope for more improvements....