Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oops, shows my ignorance... the only thing I can think of when I hear the word satire is Stewart Lee
Worth a watch if you haven't seen it ..

Don't worry... It caught me out the fist time I saw it.... Here is something a little softer..
Stewart Lee.. Yep, he's my era... Lol I remember the 80's...

Beth_Robinson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Don't worry... It caught me out the fist time I saw it.... Here is something a little softer..
Stewart Lee.. Yep, he's my era... Lol I remember the 80's...

Is it bad that my initial reaction was 'No one died, what an anti climax'

These are great, prefer the first one though :)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Is it bad that my initial reaction was 'No one died, what an anti climax'

These are great, prefer the first one though :)

Both Brass Eye & Todays the Day are great.. Some real dark humour...
Look out for "back street dentists" & "bullying in the priesthood".. You may never look at the real news in the same way again...

But then, I was brought up on stuff like this... Government money spent on stupid ideas..

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi I haven't really had anything negative said to me about diabetes, but the number of people who then say something unrelated like,
' Oh I've got high blood pressure'
I woke up with a stiff neck this morning' or
I'm so tired because I didn't sleep last night' I can't see the connections myself though....................

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi I haven't really had anything negative said to me about diabetes, but the number of people who then say something unrelated like,
' Oh I've got high blood pressure'
I woke up with a stiff neck this morning' or
I'm so tired because I didn't sleep last night' I can't see the connections myself though....................

I don't suffer from high blood pressure.

But I have woken with a stiff neck from very little sleep the night before, which isn't diabetes related either.
But I do know the cause... "Head banging" to live rock music"! ;)

In fairness.. They probably don't know what to say....? it's odd though.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Ahhh head banging to rock music would definitely do it :cool::p

Reactions: 2 people

Neat123

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
Pump
My son is type 1. While trying to explain to an interested gentleman that he has the condition forever he said, well if he is good it might turn into type 2.

ziggysawdust

When you tell someone you're diabetic, sometimes they say stupid things like 'did you eat too much sugar?'
What is the stupidest thing someone has said about your illness?
My Boss said to me I don't know why you bother testing I know lots of people with diabetes who don't bother and they don't seem to suffer.

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Today, after I had an awful hypo at night and took yesterday off, one of my colleagues asked "was it your fault?"... I didn't know what to say 0_0

Reactions: 3 people

Danaemac

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People who think they know what you need before you do
I've had the " your type 1 is that high blood sugar or low blood sugar " on numerous occasions there is just no amount of explanation will alter the thoughts and if you tell them it can be either or you get a blank expression or a look of shock

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 6 people

ConradJ

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The hassle and ignorance of diabetes.
"Ah well, you're lucky, you could be in a wheelchair."

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had someone at work tell me the other day that I shouldn't drink flavoured water because it tastes sweet and was fizzy.
Then he went through my lunch and told me that it was all wrong for me, then when he saw me do my injection he said I was doing it wrong.

I asked if he had diabetes or knew anyone that did and he said he doesn't!

That was my most recent one.

Indiana x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And he walked away from that convo without limping ??
Well done you !:D

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

Indiana91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
And he walked away from that convo without limping ??
Well done you !:D

Signy

He is a lost cause, everyone there has nick names. Mine is 'Mrs Bloodsugar' :mad: made me so angry I've looked for a new job and got one! I start on Monday. Tomorrow is my last day there and I can't wait for it to end!

Indiana x

Reactions: 9 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He is a lost cause, everyone there has nick names. Mine is 'Mrs Bloodsugar' :mad: made me so angry I've looked for a new job and got one! I start on Monday. Tomorrow is my last day there and I can't wait for it to end!

Indiana x

Yay you!:D

Was this nutjob your boss ? Is his nick name printable? :mad: I shudder to think what nickname they would give someone in a wheel chair... You are well out of it Indiana ! I worked for a place that was similar - I unintentionally had my revenge on my last day (luckily!) when I emailed my ex boss from my own laptop offsite. He had a dutch name, which auto predict changed to "Hi Ballsack " :D

Signy

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
"So sugar is bad for you. How about honey?"

I got that yesterday from a life-long friend. I explained gently that honey is full of sugar, to which she replied "yes, but it's all natural sugar and good for you". This is a highly intelligent friend. I was gobsmacked.

Reactions: 2 people

Diane Holman

My mother told me I was a diabetic because I was fat, I was pregnant with gestational diabetes, at the time, and then my doctor told me my pancreas had stopped functioning .