1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by type1harley, Apr 28, 2014.

1. ConradJ

ConradJ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sounds like mine... we're not related..?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Donna1

Donna1 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I was diagnosed last year at 33 i was asked by a friend, since i go to the gym a lot and have always kept slim, eat fairly healthy, "so what will happen, will u still stay slim or become fat"! Pmsl

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I watched a frankly awful film called "Hansel and Gretel - Witch Hunters" (I know, I know ...)

Hansel suffered from "Sugar Disease " caused by being force fed sweets by the witch in the gingerbread house as a boy. This necessitated him wearing a timer. When the timer went off, he had seconds in which to violently inject himself with a syringe the size of a silicone gun with the force of a pile driver or else he would die. In one scene, he leaves his 20lb syringe behind him, and is chased by Gretel through the woods calling his name and brandishing the syringe At which point I muttered "Hell...any sane person would run like **** too ":eek:

Signy

• Like Like x 6
  4. DonnaC-T

DonnaC-T Type 1 · Well-Known Member

My mum still buys me a tin of biscuits at Christmas. Although last year as a family she bought 4 multipack of Oddities too. :/

5. smartlady

smartlady Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Couple of weeks ago I was struggling down flats steps with large handbag, laptop & shopping bag. Neighbours friend asked if he could help me. Asked him if he would mind taking my handbag as that was the heaviest. Picked it up & said "Wow that is heavy". I said that's cos I carry a lot of stuff round cos I'm diabetic. "Diabetic?" he screeched, threw down my handbag, ran down the stairs & bolted down the road. Standing on the stairs bemusedly I thought to myself , I'm sure I said I had diabetes, not the plague!! Had to laugh if not I think I might of cried!!

Smartie xx

• Like Like x 9
  6. jules65

jules65 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

"You couldn't have had your pancreas removed or they would've done that for Hayley on Coronation Street"...........!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  7. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

From a surgeon I've lnown personally for 10+ years ... "Diabetics shouldn't eat that" - 1 pancake, 1 kiwi fruit, 4 halves of strawberries and 15 blueberries.. And clotted cream...

After I had been working solid digging in his garden for 3 hours and a further 3 hours to go..

He known me 10+ years and should know that I balance my levels to my work and carbs to my workload....

8. madperson

madperson Type 1 · Member

The best I've been told is "oh! I've got the opposite of that I need to tet my blood sugar every day as well" I thought the opposite was "normal", some people, prehaps, just need a little shake......

9. RachelJ2311

RachelJ2311 · Newbie

'Have you had diabetes before?'

Unfortunately this was asked by a nurse......

• Like Like x 10
  10. ConradJ

ConradJ Type 1 · Well-Known Member

:D :hilarious:

:nailbiting:

11. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

"You're on a pump, you must have it really bad"

My response- no actually I am a very lucky diabetic that has been lucky enough to get the latest technology for type 1 diabetics....

• Like Like x 7
  12. Diabeticpro

Diabeticpro Type 1 · Member

They said that i'm kind of person that have everything i want but that's is an eternal unhappy ... They didn't know that's i suffer from diabetes problem !

13. johnmtp

johnmtp Type 1 · Member

The is an pilot show on Amazon Prime that gets it right (can't remember the name of the show) .. A group of people are trapped and on old lady starts to complain of not feeling well, and then collapses. They search her hand bag, and find sachets of sugar, which they then pour into her mouth.

• Like Like x 3
  14. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

At least that's more accurate than injecting her with insulin. I mean that's actually a plausible situation and the right thing to do in the circumstances.

Miraculously sent via Diabetes Forum App. Probably on the 4th or 5th try :-/

15. Josef1980

Josef1980 Type 1 · Active Member

1. Oh now you are a true citizen since almost everyone in my country has diabetes type 1 & 2 and now 1.5 ...its frekin crazy :meh:
    2. :banghead:
    3. Oh now we cook your launch with grandma's food because she too has diabetes with injection :wacky:
    4. :confused:
    5. Do you have AIDS!!! :grumpy:
    6. :meh:
    7. Insulin what is that? :mad:
    8. :shifty:
    9. Pancreas ...Pancreas...what does it do? :sour:
    10. :bored:
    11. Are you doing Drugs? :bigtears:
    12. :nailbiting:
    13. Or just simply Staring at me while I take the injection :wideyed:
    14. :clown:

• Like Like x 4
  16. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I had my virginity taken by a well known recording engineer/producer the other week when diabetes came up in a conversation & unusually I admitted to being diabetic... "is that the good diabetes or the ba".... Yep, I cut him short & got all militant on his arse....

• Like Like x 3
  17. sunday1980

sunday1980 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

My clueless partner asking me what my bs is as I test, I reply 16,1 he says that's ok just drink some of your lucazade like the nurse told u..........:dead: I've given up trying to explain it to him.......

• Like Like x 4
  18. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Do you remember Brass Eye's very cutting "But do you have Good AIDS or Bad AIDS?" satire talk show?

• Like Like x 4
  19. Jaylee

Jaylee Type 1 · Moderator
    Staff Member

I do indeed sir...! Got the series on deevdah as well as Today's the day.. & can pretty much quote it all word for word...! ;)

Lol "back street dentists".... :)

• Like Like x 2
  20. chelseacee13

chelseacee13 · Well-Known Member

A think the worst one I got is 'what's the fuss it's only diabetes' he sharp **** his mouth when I pulled out the novo rapid pen and said 'now you stab yourself so you can eat!'

• Like Like x 6
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook