your first post, have you looked back?

lunarlinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Injustice, discrimination, greed, selfishness, WAR
Thank you zand and Andy. Much appreciated.
worship_zps655bb44c.gif
I had no idea you were soooo Ancient Squire.

I bow in respect to you, and will stop giving you a hard time on the who are they thread. xx

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
I'm not sure what happened on 24 March after my diagnosis, I was so annoyed with my GP (or rather the locum) who was so offhand and unhelpful that my main objective was to prove him wrong. I got on the net and sort of fell into this place, were there any forum alternatives? Don't know, one is enough and so I'm glad I found this one.

I'm not one for lurking on forums, if I join I contribute - you get an answer much quicker than if you wait for someone else to ask the question you want. Anyway I'm an opinionated s*d who likes a conversation.

But everyone on here is brilliant and supportive because they've all 'been there done that got the T-shirt'. And it's nice to plough some of that support back to new members who are in the same boat you were a short while ago.

Reactions: 5 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Took a while, but, heres my first post

Hi everyone, new to this forum so bare with me. I was diagnosed about 6 months ago when i was admitted to hospital, high sugars and off the chart ketones. Was on sliding scale drip and was told after three days to have 16 lantus and 6 nova rapid with each meal. I was ok for the first few weeks and then started having constant hypos. Learned the carb counting regime and have now reduced my insulin to 0 lantus and 2,4, and 6 units for b/fast, lunch and tea. still on this little insulin but still have a daily hypo, usually at mid day. have tried reducing my lunch insulin but any less im 10+ 2 hours after. Have read a little bit about the honeymoon period but was wondering if any other people have had this and how long it lasted. My morning levels with no Lantus are usually 7-8

Can safely say my honeymoon period over now lol, and still nowhere near the 16 units basal, and,now on a pump wow, how things progress when, after diagnosis things seemed very bleak for me and now just part of daily life.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

My first thread was a bit drawn out as it took about a month to be properly diagnosed due to the Christmas and new year holidays. When I was eventually diagnosed, Andy was the first to say say something like "welcome to the club lol" which was nice :D

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think I just dived straight in. I still don't have any figures to share as no one at surgery seems to have a clue who is doing what as diabetic nurse retired and they hadn't appointed a new one before she left. Forward planning not strong point there then. Tbh I'm not sure what tests I ought to have had... I would have thought diagnosis required a fasting blood test as well as a HbA1c but all I had was a blood glucose reading taken after I'd eaten three slices toast, sat in waiting room panicking for thirty minutes then had the nurse say that no she couldn't take bloods out of my hand and would have a go on my arm... Four times then she had to call in another nurse and she got it out of my hand first go. Funny that!!!

C

catherinecherub

I came here in 2008. How time flies.;)

My diabetes was under control and had been for some time but I was in agony with a frozen shoulder. My Dr. has said that it was more common in diabetics and so I searched for a forum for diabetics to see if there were other diabetics out there who had any solutions.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/frozen-shoulder.3952/
The first answer worried me as I was not overweight and there did not seem to be a connection with diabetes but then the answers rolled in. It was a comfort to me that I was not alone and other diabetics knew the agony I was going through.

I don't post as much as I used to but still use the forum and try to help where I can.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
im starting to like my welcome, it always seemed inadequate before now lol

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
Now a sense of balance has been restored (I dunno if I'll get used to no 'I dunno' tho ;)), just thought that I'd chip in, this is a great thread Andy.

My first couple of posts were the 'introduce yourself' and 'make a sentence' kind of stuff, but when I asked my first question (about 2 days after joining) the response was overwhelming.

It's really interesting to see that most of us (Type 2's anyway) have no idea what we're supposed to be doing when we're first diagnosed, and it's fairly clear that if we hadn't found this forum we probably wouldn't be much further forward.

Reactions: 5 people