Off the Metformin: Diary

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My numbers may have been low but that was with the aide of Metformin.

I'll be 57 in November, so not too far behind you.

I've tried hard to keep the carb intake low, between 50 and 80. Now I've stopped the medication I may have to reduce to 30g max 50g .

I'm sorry if I seem overly obsessive but I can't help it. I DO understand that I am lucky compared to some. The feeling that my heart is beating faster is concerning me more than anything. However, it may just be some kind of withdrawal symptom, so I'll see what effect a few more days has.

We all have our personal trials and tribulations which are important to us. I don't expect anyone to feel how I feel about my situation. They have their own journey. I'm just thinking aloud here.

Thanks for your comments. All are welcome and they all help. :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Perhaps go and see your GP, if only to put your mind at rest about the palpitations. I know how dreadful they can make you feel and how much more intense they become when we ( only naturally) fixate on them. Just typing this has my heart beating more noticeably. For me, they are part and parcel of ongoing anxiety issues and the menopause. I don't know if they are a possible withdrawal effect of Metformin which is why your GP might be able to offer advice. Can you have a phone appointment if you don't want to go to the surgery?
I don't think that you are being obsessive as it is only natural to want to monitor and keep a close eye on things, especially when factors of care change, but you do run the risk of becoming anxious about the results in a way that you maybe weren't whilst on the medication. Perhaps with a few more days of testing under your belt, you'll relax more and the other symptoms will subside too.
Wishing you well.

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I've tried hard to keep the carb intake low, between 50 and 80. Now I've stopped the medication I may have to reduce to 30g max 50g .

I'm sorry if I seem overly obsessive but I can't help it. I DO understand that I am lucky compared to some. The feeling that my heart is beating faster is concerning me more than anything. However, it may just be some kind of withdrawal symptom, so I'll see what effect a few more days has.

We all have our personal trials and tribulations which are important to us. I don't expect anyone to feel how I feel about my situation. They have their own journey. I'm just thinking aloud here.

Hi peacetrain, this seems a bit too cryptic for me. I hope you are really alright, and don't think your concerns are in any way being trivialised.
I think you are doing great, physically, with the BG and medication issues, and emotionally by thinking aloud on here.

Hope you start feeling better soon, not long until end of term now.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
I'm truly intrigued by your progress peacetrain, for what it's worth I think your numbers are really good, not above 6.5 on a bad day is really pretty good!!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi peacetrain, this seems a bit too cryptic for me. I hope you are really alright, and don't think your concerns are in any way being trivialised.
I think you are doing great, physically, with the BG and medication issues, and emotionally by thinking aloud on here.

Hope you start feeling better soon, not long until end of term now.
Thank you Pipp. Sorry I haven't replied sooner and thanks for your support :).

My pulse lowered yesterday and that sensation I was having was not as bad. I checked my pulse when I woke and it was 70 . I'll see how today goes. ..

The little dears tested me yesterday. 26 maps completed, 20 maps with no name! After 3 reminders! Strangest mix of children I've ever had ha ha but I love them! So funny what comes put of their mouths at times.

Reactions: 2 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Perhaps go and see your GP, if only to put your mind at rest about the palpitations. I know how dreadful they can make you feel and how much more intense they become when we ( only naturally) fixate on them. Just typing this has my heart beating more noticeably. For me, they are part and parcel of ongoing anxiety issues and the menopause. I don't know if they are a possible withdrawal effect of Metformin which is why your GP might be able to offer advice. Can you have a phone appointment if you don't want to go to the surgery?
I don't think that you are being obsessive as it is only natural to want to monitor and keep a close eye on things, especially when factors of care change, but you do run the risk of becoming anxious about the results in a way that you maybe weren't whilst on the medication. Perhaps with a few more days of testing under your belt, you'll relax more and the other symptoms will subside too.

Wishing you well.

Thanks for that.@cold Ethyl. My family have a history of excellent blood pressure so I don't feel worried about that. I'm sure the symptoms are connected to withdrawal of metformin but obviously I don't really know. Surely can't be coincidence?

I'm sorry about your anxiety. My daughter suffers a lot with it and gets intrusive thoughts which then cause more anxiety. It's quite debilitating because she then worries about the anxiety. She's not well at the moment because she's broken up from university and she's not as busy so her mind wanders.

I was anxious about coming off the metformin but prepared for it. I think it's not going too badly. My average reading for April and May was 5.2. Average for June so far is 5.4 so I think I'm doing fine. It's the racing pulse feeling that worried me but it seems to be improving. I want to give it two weeks before I think about going to the GP, unless I get worse.

Thanks again :)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I won't bore with a complete breakdown but I had 42 grams of carbs yesterday.

12g. 10g and 20g over the 3 meals. I'm also trying to build a couple of short exercise sessions into my day in addition to my evening walk.

Highest 6.1 lowest 5.

Whilst I'm still conscious of it, my "racy" heart beat/ pulse is improving. Just checked my pulse, manually, and it's 68.

Thanks everyone. :)

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Pulse checking is motor pious for putting your pulse up. Been there, done that etc. glad though that it is feeling less racy.
You could have been writing about my son there. He has OCD of the intrusive variety and uni holidays are often worse because he has little he has to do. He found mindfulness training helped and CBT.
Hope the heart thing settles down soon. I don't think the very humid weather helps.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I won't bore with a complete breakdown but I had 42 grams of carbs yesterday.

12g. 10g and 20g over the 3 meals. I'm also trying to build a couple of short exercise sessions into my day in addition to my evening walk.

Highest 6.1 lowest 5.

Whilst I'm still conscious of it, my "racy" heart beat/ pulse is improving. Just checked my pulse, manually, and it's 68.

Thanks everyone. :)

Not bored, just impressed!

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming

BaliRob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Noisy dogs and loud music especially low-note drumming

Suppose I was having a bad day - I am still very angry that, from Day 1 I have told doctors about my breathing difficulties, i.e., shortness of breath,
both in the UK and here in Bali only to find that I have had an enlarged heart (left ventricle) which of course is CHF (Congestive Heart Failure).
I have had thumping irregular heartbeats and beating faster like you have experienced when in bed which is caused by the weakened heart trying to circulate blood which apparently is more difficult for it whilst one is prone. The advice is to raise the pillow or to sleep sitting upright. This is why one does not experience these feelings when walking around and only when trying to climb stairs. I knew it was not stress or panic - too old for that now.

I advise everybody with these symptoms to ask for an echo cardiogram - if doc says no - get it done privately it does not cost a fortune.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very sorry you have been so poorly.
I was experiencing a fast pulse on Tuesday but it was when I was up and about, not when I was in bed. I still experienced the symptoms yesterday but to a lesser extent and I'm much better today, thank you.

I think perhaps I had some kind of withdrawal symptoms. I also had a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar on Monday evening. I think you have to be careful with it if on meds and I would still have had some in my system.

Thanks for your interest and I wish you well for the future. :)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had my weekly meal out yesterday at an Indo-Chinese restaurant. I love Chinese food but never eat it now. I had Karachi chicken (not too much of the liquid) and a greek (their geography isn't that good) salad. Weird combination I know but I had the salad instead of any flat bread or rice.

About 2 hours later I had gone from pre P of 5.1 to 6.2. It was late when I got home but I went for a brisk 25 minute walk and by 11.45 pm it was 4.8. Woke at 5:45 and tested at 6:15. Level 5.7. I'll test again when I get to work, before having breakfast.

Roughly 56g carbs yesterday. My peaks were 6.3. Average for the day 5.6 :)

I'm feeling much better now. I'm not good in warm weather so that may be affecting the way I have been feeling.
It's so warm that when I prick my finger the blood can't wait to get out!

Thanks for everyone's words of encouragement. :)

Reactions: 3 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A week has passed and I've survived. :)

Average level for the week 5.4.

In April and May my average was 5.2 but with medication.

I also think I've tested a lot more so I have probably caught sight of a few higher levels than I might have previously.

I'm pleased with my progress but must keep up with the added exercise and lower carb limit.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A week has passed and I've survived. :)

Average level for the week 5.4.
Hurrah looking good.
When do you have a HbA1c test? That gives the better overall BG for the previous three months..

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Last ones, since diagnosis in November, were February and May. The nurse said the next one will be November. They test in the birthday month and 6 months later. My diagnosis was 2 days before my birthday in November, after a month of messing about with testing and retesting.
So, my next one will be November.

Interestingly, my meter average was 5.2 and my last HbA1c was
5.3% = 35

Is the percentage given on the test the same unit if measure that the meter gives?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last ones, since diagnosis in November, were February and May. The nurse said the next one will be November. They test in the birthday month and 6 months later. My diagnosis was 2 days before my birthday in November, after a month of messing about with testing and retesting.
So, my next one will be November.

Interestingly, my meter average was 5.2 and my last HbA1c was
5.3% = 35

Is the percentage given on the test the same unit if measure that the meter gives?

I think it would depend on how the meter averages it. The one I had only used the last 10 readings.
Haven't self tested for about 2 years now though, so it is a distant memory.

November seems ages away. Are you going to have to keep self testing until then? How many times a day? What a chore!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I log all my meter readings on the my sugar app. I log all carbs eaten there too. It works out all the averages for me. I've tested loads recently due to reduced med then none. I'm wondering whether to limit it now but not sure when to do it. If I limit the testing I won't get a true view of how my levels are. If I have a meal similar to last weeks meals I don't really need to test. I think I should test on waking and before bed. Other than that I'm not sure. Perhaps after lunch and evening meal. Decisions decisions

I'm off to bed.
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done peacetrain. Interesting that you think your bg has risen slightly. What about regularity in figures or are they more erratic?

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks.

They're quite regular and I eat at almost the same time each day when I'm working.

I was thinking about it and I've come to realise that my recorded averages at the moment might be misleading me. This is because I'm testing more often, especially 1 hour after, which is when I got the higher readings.

Although I don't have snacks as a rule, I've just had some olives and cheese to keep me going until I get home later tonight. I'm helping out with a school trip this evening and I didn't want to go from mid day until 9 pm, without food.

I'm falling asleep whilst I type this! Busy time of year and, unusually, I'm not sleeping very well

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi peacetrain
Been meaning to ask how you feel being off the Metformin.
I came off it about 3 weeks ago. Not sure if it is that, or the change in diet, (i am trying LCHF after 4 weeks of Newcastle) but I feel quite ill. Have headaches, so bad since last weekend, general pain everywhere, and fluid retention, which I hope is what has caused 3kg weight gain.
Have you been having any similar symptoms?