LCHF diet and taking Simvastatin

Terrytiddy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi advice please. I would like to try the LCHF eating regime but take 1-40mg Simvastatin a day. According to information on taking Simvastatin you should follow a low fat diet!! Any ideas/advice? :confused:

Thanks

Terry

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Not sure as I've never taken statins, there are members on this forum who do take statins and follow a LCHF diet but that's not to say it's safe to do so, if in doubt ask your gp.

Reactions: 2 people

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Personally, I think thats the medical industry trying to suggest it because low fat was always the suggestion for heart disease....

Best talk to gp and look at his or her face when you mention lchf!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

K

Kat100

Hello, yes, I take them and follow a low fat medium carb diet ....
And look at my portion control ...I don't weigh food though.....
My choloestrol levels are either 2 or 3 much better than the 7 which they were ....
I am fine taking my meds with my chosen diet , it suits me ....

Your gp could help further , this drug can be a bit of a problem for some people but we are all so,different .....

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I was prescribed Simvastatin 40mg but have stopped taking them. I was never told to eat low fat.

Reactions: 3 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hi advice please. I would like to try the LCHF eating regime but take 1-40mg Simvastatin a day. According to information on taking Simvastatin you should follow a low fat diet!! Any ideas/advice? :confused:

Thanks

Terry
I've been doing both quite happily with no problems. Statins for over 20years and LCHF since October 2013. Perhaps no need to go over the top on fats, but fats do provide energy.

Late onset T1, several auto immune issues.
Humalogmix25 twice a day, Methotrexate 25mg once per week, FolicAcid 5mg once per week, prednisolone 5mg daily, Allopurinol 300mg, Calcichew-D3 800iu, Levothyroxine 50mcg, Atenolol 50mg, Losarten 100mg, Aspirin 75mg, Nicorandil 20mg, Nitrolingual GTN spray, Metformin 2000mg, Allimemazine 10mg, Lanzoprazole 30mg, Atorvastatin 20mg, Co Codamol 8/500mg, Depo Medrone (Methylprednisolone) or double Prednisolone for 7 days in case of RA flare.

Reactions: 4 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Same here, I take 1 40mg per day and have been low carbing for 2 years without any problem

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates

Thanks

Terry
The reason for recommending low fat is the false idea that because fatty foods contain cholesterol they will increase your blood chol. The body makes chol - you need it for good health, & the amount you eat isn't the problem.

It's all very long term, so go low carb, high fat, take the simv but watch out for side effects of the drug. Muscle pains are very common. 6 monthly blood tests will show your progress.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
was 5.5, I went on statins and low carb high fat, 3mth later 2.7.. tri 1.4 hdl 1.2 ldl 0.9
I had to back off the statin and 1/2 the dose to try and raise my chol as it's too low, so I take people saying fat is bad in perspective and isn't in my case

Reactions: 5 people

sunspots

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I've just stopped my statins (thinks - 'must tell GP'). My hair has got very thin and I'm wondering if they are linked. I thought I'd try to persuade the surgery to do a full lipid profile to check that the LCHF was OK despite my stopping the statins. That would be the best test if you decided to continue LCHF on statins.

Btw if it weren't for the hair loss I'd continue statins with LCHF as I don't think the 2 would be mutually exclusive.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Another article in Sunday Express with a Dr who was on the NICE team in 2008 but 6 years later is now questioning evidence on which NICE has recommended their increased use ..... As it was a sponsored by the firms linked to the drugs. He says"it is difficult to give credence to studies which are not independently funded (and wait for it) NOR FULLY DISCLOSED TO THE PUBLIC."

"8 out of the 12"experts"on the NICE panel that recommended the new guidance have received money from the drug companies that make statins,though (of course) there is suggestion this money influenced their decision."

Reactions: 5 people

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
New legislation has been brought in this year forcing pharma companies to disclose all safety data on clinical trials that they have run.

I work analysing safety for clinical trials. I don't know a single person who doesn't put patient safety first. There are 4 phases of clinical trials and usually at least three phases of preclinical trails. There are so many people involved at each stage, it takes around 10 years to bring a drug to market and regulators are used throughout the whole process.

Before drugs are brought to the market there must be safety trials involving thousands of patients across several countries. All drugs have adverse effects, but the suggestion that the wool is being pulled over peoples' eyes by evil people in pharma companies is tabloid rubbish. Everyone that I work with are entirely motivated to cure the world's diseases and to stop people dying from them. Patient safety would NEVER be knowingly put at risk.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
on one hand the drug companies are impotent and the gov tell dr's not to provide test strips. on the other hand the drug companies are omnipotent and are bribing the gov and dr's to ram statins down everyone's throat....funny isn't it

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
New legislation has been brought in this year forcing pharma companies to disclose all safety data on clinical trials that they have run.

I work analysing safety for clinical trials. I don't know a single person who doesn't put patient safety first. There are 4 phases of clinical trials and usually at least three phases of preclinical trails. There are so many people involved at each stage, it takes around 10 years to bring a drug to market and regulators are used throughout the whole process.

Before drugs are brought to the market there must be safety trials involving thousands of patients across several countries. All drugs have adverse effects, but the suggestion that the wool is being pulled over peoples' eyes by evil people in pharma companies is tabloid rubbish. Everyone that I work with are entirely motivated to cure the world's diseases and to stop people dying from them. Patient safety would NEVER be knowingly put at risk.

But Sam, whilst GP's and consultants don't report side affects how they should and whilst NICE officials are taking money... They aren't impartial.

The real testing of a product is when it hits the public domain. For example accuchek flexlink plus sets.... A lot of people put up with problems for some reason, I didn't I reported to MHRA just 2 months after starting to use them. They had been tested and approved... Look at thalidomide drugs back in the 60's...... Tes, a lot of things have changed since then....
BUT.... Its the public domain that are the real testers for ANY drug... Not a random few rats and monkeys and a few humans under conditions where they may not drink, may not eat certain foods and do normal living.....

I certainly do not condone the researchers and such like, but realisation has to be that ALL drugs only are tested when they hit the wordwide population.... So why don't GP's etc listen and report?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Great post Sam :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Sam, I don't doubt the integrity of you and your colleagues, but presumably you aren't responsible for control over release of information. Who is?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
All drugs have adverse effects, some worse than others. Taking drugs is about balancing the risks - the perpetual battle of efficacy versus safety.

Clinical study phases are designed around safety, tolerability, efficacy, combination therapy (I.e combinations of drugs) and dose scheduling. Each of these phases can have dozens of individual studies that investigate all kinds of different cohorts; age, sex, race, fitness, medical history, alcohol consumption etc. They are very comprehensive, which is part of the reason why it takes 10 years of studying a drug before it comes to market.

Will some adverse effects be discovered when the drug has come to market? Possibly. Are there any malicious people at pharma companies knowingly putting patient safety at risk for the sake of pleasing the shareholders? Definitely not.

In addition, many people that take drugs for chronic conditions tend to be unwell, or prone to illness. It's very difficult, in a non-clinical setting, to isolate an adverse effect of a drug, to an adverse effect from a chronic condition or lifestyle factors.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
So Sam

Appreciate you side go research etc,very much so,but in the case of statins there is some concern that data has not been fully disclosed to the public, so who is responsible for this data not being released?