AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi peacetrain
Been meaning to ask how you feel being off the Metformin.
I came off it about 3 weeks ago. Not sure if it is that, or the change in diet, (i am trying LCHF after 4 weeks of Newcastle) but I feel quite ill. Have headaches, so bad since last weekend, general pain everywhere, and fluid retention, which I hope is what has caused 3kg weight gain.
Have you been having any similar symptoms?
Paulins, I know you weren't asking me, but I was reading some ND stuff this morning, and your post reminded me of this page, from Prof Taylor's site: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Diabetes-Reversaloftype2study.pdf

It specifically talks about gaining a modest amount of weight when finishing the diet, due to (to paraphrase in extremis), eating more.

Just for info, the covering link the above came from is: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi peacetrain
Been meaning to ask how you feel being off the Metformin.
I came off it about 3 weeks ago. Not sure if it is that, or the change in diet, (i am trying LCHF after 4 weeks of Newcastle) but I feel quite ill. Have headaches, so bad since last weekend, general pain everywhere, and fluid retention, which I hope is what has caused 3kg weight gain.
Have you been having any similar symptoms?
Just got home and getting ready for bed. I've had a very busy day. I was out late with school and then decided to put forward, by one day, my weekly meal out with a colleague. It seemed silly to be out two nights when everything could be squeezed into one.
Apart from the faster pulse and heart beat on the Tuesday of last week, I've been fine. I was low carbing anyway so there was no change, except I'm now eating less than 50g carbs per day.
I've heard people here talk about low carb flu. Perhaps you have that? I don't remember feeling Ill when I started LCHF but I have a feeling I'm not good at being in tune with myself lol!
The only other thing I'm feeling is dizzy! Around 5 and below, dizzy. Around 6, dizzy. I thought it might stop when I ceased the metformin.
I have a little more fluid in the ankles but I think this is related to the warm weather. I'm not good in warm weather.
I can hardly keep my eyes open. I've been very tired. Maybe that's a sign ... I don't know.
I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Get well soon dear.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have reluctantly made the decision to go back oN the metformin as I'm finding that my figures are worse than before. (I will post results in morning bg thread as this thread is for coming off metf) :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just got home and getting ready for bed. I've had a very busy day. I was out late with school and then decided to put forward, by one day, my weekly meal out with a colleague. It seemed silly to be out two nights when everything could be squeezed into one.
Apart from the faster pulse and heart beat on the Tuesday of last week, I've been fine. I was low carbing anyway so there was no change, except I'm now eating less than 50g carbs per day.
I've heard people here talk about low carb flu. Perhaps you have that? I don't remember feeling Ill when I started LCHF but I have a feeling I'm not good at being in tune with myself lol!
The only other thing I'm feeling is dizzy! Around 5 and below, dizzy. Around 6, dizzy. I thought it might stop when I ceased the metformin.
I have a little more fluid in the ankles but I think this is related to the warm weather. I'm not good in warm weather.
I can hardly keep my eyes open. I've been very tired. Maybe that's a sign ... I don't know.
I'm sorry you're not feeling well. Get well soon dear.

Thanks for your reply when you are so tired.
You need to mention the dizziness at next diabetes check appointment, or before if it is bothering you.
Or maybe get more sleep. You appear to be doing really well though. Hope you continue to be so.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have reluctantly made the decision to go back of the metformin as I'm finding that my figures are worse than before. (I will post results in morning bg thread as this thread is for coming off metf) :)
Although you must feel a bit disappointed, try to look on it as a minor setback. I regard medication as just another method of keeping me as well as possible until I can find an alternative. I do want to have as little medication as possible, but it can take time and effort to get everything right.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Paulins, I know you weren't asking me, but I was reading some ND stuff this morning, and your post reminded me of this page, from Prof Taylor's site: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/documents/Diabetes-Reversaloftype2study.pdf

It specifically talks about gaining a modest amount of weight when finishing the diet, due to (to paraphrase in extremis), eating more.

Just for info, the covering link the above came from is: http://www.ncl.ac.uk/magres/research/diabetes/reversal.htm
Was this meant for me? Thank you. As a Taylor follower I have experienced the transition from Very Low Calorie Diet before, but nothing felt as bad as I have been this week. I need to work out if it is due to coming off Metformin, (3 weeks ago) stopping Newcastle diet and starting LCHF (almost 2 weeks ago) a virus, or allergies, or even a combination of some or all of these.
In the meantime, I am trying to be kind to myself. I have no energy to be otherwise.
Thanks.
Pipp

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Was this meant for me? Thank you. As a Taylor follower I have experienced the transition from Very Low Calorie Diet before, but nothing felt as bad as I have been this week. I need to work out if it is due to coming off Metformin, (3 weeks ago) stopping Newcastle diet and starting LCHF (almost 2 weeks ago) a virus, or allergies, or even a combination of some or all of these.
In the meantime, I am trying to be kind to myself. I have no energy to be otherwise.
Thanks.
Pipp

Sorry, yes. I had read your post before having to pop out and didn't double check to whom I was responding when I replied. Doh!

It sounds like you're having a tough time right now, so, I completely agree that being kind to yourself makes sense. :nurse:

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have reluctantly made the decision to go back of the metformin as I'm finding that my figures are worse than before. (I will post results in morning bg thread as this thread is for coming off metf) :)
I'm sorry you've had to change your mind. Please don't get disheartened though because there's always a next time.

I told myself that I wasn't successful this time, I still have about 3 stones to lose and that loss may help my bg too. It's early days for me yet. I feel comfortable that if I have to begin metformin again, it will be for my good, until I regroup.

Take care and keep up the fight!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Apologies, but I haven't gone back here or on other thread. How long did you try without your Metformin?

Such a shame it hasn't worked out.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm sorry you've had to change your mind. Please don't get disheartened though because there's always a next time.

I told myself that I wasn't successful this time, I still have about 3 stones to lose and that loss may help my bg too. It's early days for me yet. I feel comfortable that if I have to begin metformin again, it will be for my good, until I regroup.

Take care and keep up the fight!

That helps me too, peacetrain. I have been worrying that despite almost three years of stable blood glucose, going solo without the Metformin could mean a return of diabetic b g readings. If that happens at least I know I have the option of the Metformin weapon in the armoury.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think it's been two or three weeks now. i guess I could try longer, but I am determined to get my levels down and they were okay when on the metformin once I'd started the lchf diet. My only issue was the dawn phenomenon and a persistent cough. So coming off meds was an attempt to try and solve those conundrums.

However, if its not to be then I am not worried. Metformin seems to have a reasonable press as far as meds go and if it helps then I'll live with it. I recognise I have a dangerous disease and if I need to take a calculated risk with medicine then fair enough.

What really irks is that docs seem so keen to give you meds where there are clear dangers (e.g. statins) and don't really go though the risk assessment.

Everything I know(and its not much - yet) is through my own personal research.

So onwards and upwards through the great experiment that is my body.

Thanks for the concern and encouragement though - it is really appreciated. :)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think it's been two or three weeks now. i guess I could try longer, but I am determined to get my levels down and they were okay when on the metformin once I'd started the lchf diet. My only issue was the dawn phenomenon and a persistent cough. So coming off meds was an attempt to try and solve those conundrums.

However, if its not to be then I am not worried. Metformin seems to have a reasonable press as far as meds go and if it helps then I'll live with it. I recognise I have a dangerous disease and if I need to take a calculated risk with medicine then fair enough.

What really irks is that docs seem so keen to give you meds where there are clear dangers (e.g. statins) and don't really go though the risk assessment.

I think you have made a good decision gfmoore. Although medications can react with each other if you have too many, and one seems to give a side effect that needs additional meds and so it goes on, sometimes we need to be a bit discerning. I have had non-diabetic levels for 3 years, but only just stopped Metformin for a trial period of 3 months. If my blood glucose raises to diabetic levels again then I will be back to the pharmacy for the supply of Metformin in double quick time.
I don't know if you went 'cold turkey' with the Metformin? Mine was reduced gradually as the blood glucose came under control.
Best of luck
Pipp

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

You have to do what you feel comfortable with, and it's fair to say Metformin is widely used and tolerated by many, many people.

How is the cough? I find if i don't drink enough I quickly develop an annoying cough,

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've heard of BP medications causing coughs, but this is the first time I've heard of it in relation to metformin. Are you on BP meds @gfmoore ?

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
To clarify; I'm not on any meds whatsoever, so it's easier to pinpoint, I guess.

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I came off all meds. I thought it might be the ramipril, but even though I've been off that for 4 or 5 weeks now I still have the sensation of a cough ready to go. I can just feel it in my windpipe. It certainly is not as bad as it was when it started (March - the time of the Saharan dust/pollution), but I still get it.

I've tried to think of everything I can that might have caused it. I know it sounds stupid, but I stopped drinking at around the same time and went on to drinking Beck's Blue. I'm now trying to see if not drinking and then drinking brings any changes about. I even stopped using body spray, but that wasn't fair to people who got too close (pong) - and no I'm not making much in the way of Ketone bodies, but the lchf diet is having an effect.

i'll be quite annoyed if it were to be the beer because I quite like it and it makes a change from water or diet coke.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It's been 3 weeks since I stopped the last 500mg metformin. My average bg reading has been 5.5 as opposed to 5.2 prior to that. I realise these don't compare much to the HbA1c but they do highlight trends. I fully expected a rise but I haven't felt well this week. More mental than physical.

It's almost the end of term and there's so much to be done. This week we had apprentice week and my class of 5-6 year olds made and sold pizzas. Not one bite passed this former pizza princess's lips ;-). The children really enjoyed themselves but it was also stressful for me ha ha.

It's been quite warm for most of the week and I think that's played a part in the way I've been feeling. I've had a strange feeling in the upper part of my tummy. I now realise this is the location of my liver. If you've ever had a shock and your stomach churns, that's the feeling I've been getting. I can physically feel it begin about 45 minutes after eating. I can't walk out of the class and go for a walk!!

So, I think I'm doing well but not being medicated now seems to make me more vulnerable to my physical and emotional environment.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Is it possible to take one a day again or even half a day? I know when my Mum came off all her anxiety meds, that for a long time she continued to take just half an anti-depressant a day. The GP said its effect would be more psychological than "physical" and I think that she did cope better by taking it, if only because she believed she was still on meds and therefore doing ok. Does that make sense? Stress will upset your BS levels and maybe just covering yourself this way would make the funny feelings go or be less noticeable. They may all be psychological which isn't to say that they aren't real, but now you are more focussed on every bodily sensation because you are looking for them having come off the meds. It may be worth having a word with the GP or DN. My GP is a big fan of Metformin for lots of reasons and it looks like I'll be on it for eternity because of its protective effects.
The fluttery stomach things could be your vagus nerve which is stimulated by eating and can trigger palpitations which you have also talked about.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree with what you say. It's my pride more than anything. I want to see what happens. Although I'm sort of obsessing about it, my sensible head is telling me a rise in bg is to be expected. I can live with that at the moment.

My HbA1c in May was 35. My average on my meter was 5.2.

If I look at the 50 shades chart that equates to 5.9/6.

So... If my average for the last three weeks has been 5.5 and I add 0.7 margin my HbA1c might read 37. Looking at that chart I think I still have a way to go before I would be out of the safe zone for T2.

Of course this is my caveman calculations ;-).

I also want to see how I respond in a variety of situations. I've had stress and heat so far. School will close in a few weeks time and, although I'll be going in to prepare my classroom, the stress will ease. I also still have some weight to lose.

I'm seeing this as a challenge for me so I'll continue to ride it out and think aloud on this thread.

Thanks again for your support coldethyl.

:)