TeamBG: Type 1 diabetes and exercise - what questions/issues do you have?

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Team Blood Glucose (TeamBG) is a not-for-profit organisation set up to support and encourage all those with diabetes to engage in sports and exercise.

We would like to improve the TeamBG website (www.teambloodglucose.com) by adding some advice around exercise in the form of 'frequently asked questions' - initially focussing on Type 1 diabetes.
We are familiar with the issues, but would very much appreciate your input, and ask what questions/advice you would most like to see included.:)

re-sized.jpg

Reactions: 6 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
For me the issue is getting motivated to do some exercise.

I can quite clearly and undeniably see from my testing that if I want to get my bg down I have to go for a (one mile) walk or have a spin on the exercise bike (10min). It is amazing the drop in my bg level. E.g. today my level went from 6.6 at 3:20pm to 5.2 at 4pm and all I did was 10minutes on the bike (getting sweaty).

Problem is that I just don't want to do it. I'd rather just sit in front of the tv or read. I don't like the faff of getting changed just so I can get sweaty. The thought of doing exercise is just too much really.

However, though I'm being negative I know I have to do something. I'm guessing a lot of folk like me have a similar problem.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Something along the line like Runsweet would be good, for example personal experiences of people exercising on MDI or using a pump.

Reactions: 2 people

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For me the issue is getting motivated to do some exercise.

I can quite clearly and undeniably see from my testing that if I want to get my bg down I have to go for a (one mile) walk or have a spin on the exercise bike (10min). It is amazing the drop in my bg level. E.g. today my level went from 6.6 at 3:20pm to 5.2 at 4pm and all I did was 10minutes on the bike (getting sweaty).

Problem is that I just don't want to do it. I'd rather just sit in front of the tv or read. I don't like the faff of getting changed just so I can get sweaty. The thought of doing exercise is just too much really.

However, though I'm being negative I know I have to do something. I'm guessing a lot of folk like me have a similar problem.

Thanks for that gfmoore,
Trying to find ways to help motivate people to exercise is something we are looking into. What would help motivate you to exercise more?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi TeamBG ! I am planning an endurance event for Oct this year and wondered if you may have any tips or advice ?

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Something along the line like Runsweet would be good, for example personal experiences of people exercising on MDI or using a pump.

Thanks noblehead,
We have plans to do exactly that, but unfortunately it takes time and budget - we are hoping in the meantime that by at least answering some of the commonly asked questions we could offer more support.

Once 'tech corner' is up and running (where we want to cover the latest bits of kit available to use) that may also be a good place to put personal feedback.

Many thanks for your input.:)

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hi TeamBG ! I am planning an endurance event for Oct this year and wondered if you may have any tips or advice ?

That's fantastic!

What sort of event are you doing, and do you have any particular concerns or issues with your training?

Is there a chance you could come down to join TeamBG for the Box Hill cycle ride on the 6th July? There will be a number of people there with a lot of experience with managing BG levels with endurance exercise - it could be a great opportunity to get to talk things over.:)

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It will be a record attempt on a Concept 2.indoor rower. I held a World Record in 2012 with a friend. It was for the longest tandem continual row. We managed 50hours non stop. However, our record was recently beaten by 2 Americans so we currently only hold British Record. Our aim is to retrieve WR in Oct. The main issue last time was literally trying to stay awake, blisters and lower back pain. I am a little older now and I never managed my nutrition that well last time so if anyone had any advice that would be great. As it's a tandem event, we get breaks. The rules are that the rower must never stop so we alternated 30mins at a time last time. Trouble is, although you need to eat, it's difficult and often not wanted to eat a meal when you only have such a short break. The other main issue is literally no sleep for nearly 3 days.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
if you want to exchange some ideas @mo1905 , just drop me a line was can have a chat over a coffee anytime.

Reactions: 4 people

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
For me, hypo avoidance either during or after.

Also avoiding the need to eat carbs during exercise, the role of fasted training to work the fat burning metabolism rather than the sugar burning mechanism - as I'm working on now

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
if you want to exchange some ideas @mo1905 , just drop me a line was can have a chat over a coffee anytime.
Thanks Dave, I will. We are planning for Oct/Nov hopefully, it will be local this time ( last time Manchester ).

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
It will be a record attempt on a Concept 2.indoor rower. I held a World Record in 2012 with a friend. It was for the longest tandem continual row. We managed 50hours non stop. However, our record was recently beaten by 2 Americans so we currently only hold British Record. Our aim is to retrieve WR in Oct. The main issue last time was literally trying to stay awake, blisters and lower back pain. I am a little older now and I never managed my nutrition that well last time so if anyone had any advice that would be great. As it's a tandem event, we get breaks. The rules are that the rower must never stop so we alternated 30mins at a time last time. Trouble is, although you need to eat, it's difficult and often not wanted to eat a meal when you only have such a short break. The other main issue is literally no sleep for nearly 3 days.

Holy smoke that's pretty extreme!
Why don't you e-mail direct to TeamBG on the website, or give us a call - see what we can do for you.
http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Contact.html

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
For me, hypo avoidance either during or after.

Also avoiding the need to eat carbs during exercise, the role of fasted training to work the fat burning metabolism rather than the sugar burning mechanism - as I'm working on now
Hi ElyDave,
In relation to exercise, what questions would you most like to have had answered when you first got diagnosed with diabetes?

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm with ElyDave - my main challenge is avoiding a hypo during exercise. I run a lot, and for long distances I need to have a regular carb to keep my BG levels up.

Keen to understand how other runners combat this

I was diagnosed April so still learning, and still honeymooning

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I'm with ElyDave - my main challenge is avoiding a hypo during exercise. I run a lot, and for long distances I need to have a regular carb to keep my BG levels up.

Keen to understand how other runners combat this

I was diagnosed April so still learning, and still honeymooning

Thanks Adamski,
Considering you were only diagnosed in April, you are doing a great job and have obviously already learnt a great deal in order to be able to run long distances.
With reference to Hypos, is it an issue going too low only during the run (not quite keeping up with your carbing) or is it a case that you find it hard to predict how much carb you need to take on board to avoid a low in the hours after you finish? - so is it only difficulty 'during' or also 'after' running?
Many thanks for your input.:)

Adamski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Bebo321 - I've had a couple of hypos after exercise, and one during.

I found this forum a great source of advice, and now carb up before exercise, and during.

Normal pre run routine involves either 250ml Lucozade if I'm heading out right away, or two bananas an hour before. Either way it's 30-35g of carbs.

During my run, I'll have a jelly baby every 1k or so. Or roughly every 4 mins.

The annoying thing is having to keep ramming the jelly babies down. Sadly this often leads to the odd burp during the run, which isn't ideal :woot:

I'm tempted to start using carb gels - but can't help wonder whether less frequent large intakes of carbs are worse than small doses on a drip feed basis.

Any advice?

-Artemis-

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Generally wanting to make exercise my friend again... I used to do moderate exercise before diagnosis; nothing crazy, some sprint training, some shorter runs, swimming and Bikram/Vinyasa flow yoga... But as I came towards the end of my honeymoon and pre insulin, all of these would make my numbers rise & stay high; the only exception has been walking, which I would still regularly do 4 miles or so per day.

I've literally been on insulin less than a week, but already noticed I seem to be *very* insulin sensitive - and just a brisk half hr walk to the shops knocks a couple of points off/leaves me wanting to eat...

So, whilst I'm keen to exercise, I'm also scared of it: before cos it would make me high and now in case it makes me overly low... Tips to overcome this would be muchly appreciated :) x

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I get discouraged when exercise sends my blood sugar sky high. It feels unfair! :(:D I like swimming and will do 45 mins of crawl and breaststroke 2-3 times a week. It's fairly strenuous, so why doesn't my blood sugar decrease? If I do an hour of gardening, my blood sugar drops like a stone. What's the difference?

Could anyone recommend some reading I can do (preferably entertaining, not boring) about diabetes and exercise,... I have failed to learn about this in the past, and am getting very irritated with myself over it.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Team Blood Glucose (TeamBG) is a not-for-profit organisation set up to support and encourage all those with diabetes to engage in sports and exercise.

We would like to improve the TeamBG website (www.teambloodglucose.com) by adding some advice around exercise in the form of 'frequently asked questions' - initially focussing on Type 1 diabetes.
We are familiar with the issues, but would very much appreciate your input, and ask what questions/advice you would most like to see included.:)

View attachment 5551

An iconic picture for illustrating modern diabetes. The sort of image that should be in the media/newspapers. Try flogging it to them in return for funds?

Bebo321

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I get discouraged when exercise sends my blood sugar sky high. It feels unfair! :(:D I like swimming and will do 45 mins of crawl and breaststroke 2-3 times a week. It's fairly strenuous, so why doesn't my blood sugar decrease? If I do an hour of gardening, my blood sugar drops like a stone. What's the difference?

Could anyone recommend some reading I can do (preferably entertaining, not boring) about diabetes and exercise,... I have failed to learn about this in the past, and am getting very irritated with myself over it.

Hi lizdeluz,
Your blood glucose rise will be due to raised heart rate, along with possibly just excitement/adrenaline response to swimming. (So actually, the rise is because you're working harder - swim slower and you may find that you get less of a rise)
Try taking a look at the Team blood glucose website. Also, watch the type 1 case study - it's a bit long, but the second 5mins particularly should be helpful in getting to grips with some of these frustrating effects.:)
http://www.teambloodglucose.com/TeamBG/Type_1_Case_Study.html