are salted peanuts allowed?

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why do you think that this is so if the carbs are not high?
CAROL

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Counting fibre?? Blimey, never done that in 30 years as T1!!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Why would small portions of peanuts make you put on weight? If they are within carb n calorie allowances?

annelise

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Unfriendly and bigotted persons; i.e. persons who do not have an open or enquiring mind - but all within reason - persons may have a reason to appear as such - we will never know their backgrounds or where they come from ...
On UK packaging, the fibre has already been subtracted from the carbs. You don't subtract it again. As DD says, the carbs seem to vary from brand to brand so check the label.

I eat quite a lot of peanuts and have good weight loss and bg. Like everything else, test test test.

We need salt when we low carb. http://authoritynutrition.com/5-most-common-low-carb-mistakes/
I too have no problem with weight. As said, I eat them regularly, especially as a snack in the morning (no appetite at that time) - and also in order to cheat my system to believe I am feeding it - ha! - otherwise my liver might 'kindly' think that now it will need to dump some glucose as this person seems in need of that! Believe me, I have had several and severe conversations with my liver - but does it listen? (Rhetorical question).

Also, I freely eat salt (my salt balance is on the low side) so I have no qualms about that. (And usually my fasting numbers are in the 4's or low 5's with occasional high 3's thrown in to make this interesting).

annelise

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The fibre (4.9g) is quoted but it is not clear if that is inclusive or exclusive. It seems that everywhere I look comes up with different carb figures. I snack on salted peanuts anyway since I like them and the very low GI hopefully does not cause a spike.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Peanuts will certainly cause weight gain as will a lot of other nuts if eaten regularly and in moderate amounts

As above posts above, we are all individual and some of us include nuts every day in our diet and have not got excess weight.

iHs

Nuts if eaten in small amounts wont cause weight gain if moderate exercise is also done but if eaten as snacks and with not much activity, then spare tyre will slowly develop

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
I eat a handful every day as a snack. Love them! I have a fry up for brekkie, piece of cheese for lunch and nuts at 3 for my snack.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yes, we are all different. I dont need to bolus for some vegetables like cauli, cabbage, broccoli, runner beans etc, whereas you do.

No, I bolus for very little nowadays.

This morn for example raspberries, strawberries and blueberries and onken plain yogurt and because of work or today and on holiday and walking a great deal I do not need to bolus.

If I do not have my brekkie my basals are perfect. But my body is now using the extra fat and food brilliantly and basals and bolus have dropped back down hugely.....I never sit down, nowadays and sitting down after food was probably more related to needing bolus's.

I was sure I had a bad batch of tubes.. And sure this affected everything. Now I am convinced as all my basals are back down to under 14g a day and in fact from having more fat, i still need to lower them.

It is very hard to generalise giving advice that people will need to bolus, or not.. Or put on weight, or not.
Even 'moderate' amounts of nuts will be different for each person. My moderate will be hugely different to your moderate....However, as yet there isn't anybody that has said weight gone on from what I have read....

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
That needs explanation.. The only morning that I may not have a breakfast now is a lay in delayed to a bruch on a Sunday. Since Phoenix's brilliant advice on fat and research on salt I have increased all of it and never felt better.

andysuperblue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just been browsing through this thread and all this talk of salted peanuts is making my mouth water. Love them, what about dry roasted peanuts are they allowed on a type 2

Clivethedrive

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Jogging
Just been browsing through this thread and all this talk of salted peanuts is making my mouth water. Love them, what about dry roasted peanuts are they allowed on a type 2
Yes...but don't indulge too many ...the're fattening

Scandichic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Michael Gove and his insane educational? policies!
Yes...but don't indulge too many ...the're fattening
Depends on which diet you follow. I eat them on lchf and am fine. Usually have a couple of handfuls. Lidl sell mixed nuts in a bag and I often have several handfuls a day of peanuts or the mixed nuts. Can't comment on healthy plate. Probably limited amounts on that but you'd need to ask someone.

rich w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
none
If you buy red skin peanuts from the supermarket, you can roast them yourself. 200C for 15 mins. They dont really need salt. Alternatively, take them out after 10-12 mins and mix them in a bowl with some kind of chilli/garlic sauce and whack them back in for 5-10 mins. You have to keep an eye on them as once they are overdone, they are inedible.

I;ve been doing that for years. Its much cheaper and healthier than buying the salted ones.

yummy!!
Great idea I will be doing this.:)

Serena51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
bigots, racists, homophobes
I found KP unsalted roasted peanuts in Sainsburys and they were lovely. Bit too lovely as I ate the bagfull.