Me andd my partner are planning on trying for a baby

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That makes a lot of sense I thought between 8-9 constantly wasn't too good for you!! I found growing up with diabetes really easy mainly because my mum controlled it for me. Since 'flying the nest' is when I have struggled being the tantrum teen wanted to do things myself and manage my diabetes by myself hasn't helped lol- Now a lot maturer you realise diabetes isn't something that is unmanageable.... oh very strange my partner is 24 we have been together for 5 years and got engaged Christmas plans initially were to move marriage and then baby but quickly changed being around small children ourselves its something we are definitely ready for. The reason we live with his parents is because my mum and dad are building a property atm!

I am very excited :) x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah does make more sense can be hard though to be between these all the time , are your always between them readings , I am near enough but do go higher lol . I can really related to relying on your mum , that's all I did when I was younger was rely on my parents if it wasn't for them I couldn't of done it !! I have always been ok with my diabetes by all means mine hasn't always been well controlled fount it hard to control when I was younger due to hormones ect but all I know is all thanks to my parents such a big help and have been supportive of everything I do .
That's how I've always looked at it , I can not change it so do whats best , beat it do it right . And your totally right it really is manageable .
Right now I'm getting slightly worried !! I got engaged christmas 2012 !! And my partner is 24 !! I just told my partner this and his like what how strange lol . This has actually made me giggle !! I'm from the Uk where abouts do you live ?
That's exciting on its own your parents building a propety lol .
But yeah it is such an exciting time , I feel a bit mixed aswell though as I just hope I can do all I need to do , so all is healthy and well .
Is a exciting but scary journey shame you can't just skip to the baby being in your arms lol !!
Wishful thinking lol !!

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhhh thats crazy lol!! Yes im in the UK down south in kent wbu?

At the moment I'm between 6-8 still trying r manage it better than before! Ahhh my mum and dad are brilliant with my diabetes just so strange that we don't know of anyone on the family with diabetes and it is very rare for your parents to get it after yourself I never forget the day myself and my mum was diagnosed it feels like it was just yesterday! Very hard for my mum dealing with my hypos and me slipping into comas which wasn't very nice! I have had a experience on holiday too because of it!

I hate when people feel sorry for me because I have it too when there are a lot more people worse of than me! :)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha oh brilliant , I am in the south east , roughly an hour from London. So very close .
That's really good readings , that will defiantly make an impact on your hba1c . I have to admit sometimes my bms do go out of the range they want but I think everyone's does ? , but I know I could make it even tighter when the times comes , but I am deffo happy with my hba1c at the moment .
I can imagine it only feeling like yesterday , I know I've never heard of that tbh , must of been a massive and double shock to the system , has your mum got good control . It's does really help having family support it makes all the difference .
Woah that must of been terrifying going into comas for you and your mum :eek:. I'm so lucky I have never gone into a coma whilst hypoing , must be nasty !!

Yes haha that's a good point ! , feeling sorry for you or even worrying about you , when at the end of the day it is literally because they think they know about it but clearly they don't :facepalm:

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh that's crazzyy!! Not far at all. My mum has really good control luckily for her! Today I have been not to bad my sugars have been between 6-7 Just check my bs and I was 3.7!!!! Luckily I know when my blood is dropping. Yesterday morning I woke up and I was 7.6 and this morning I woke up and I was 7.6 was really strange lool!

Ah I had a few comas when I was younger ( not that I remember having them) it use to really scare my mum! I don't have there anymore luckily for me .

X

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh that's crazzyy!! Not far at all. My mum has really good control luckily for her! Today I have been not to bad my sugars have been between 6-7 Just check my bs and I was 3.7!!!! Luckily I know when my blood is dropping. Yesterday morning I woke up and I was 7.6 and this morning I woke up and I was 7.6 was really strange lool!

Ah I had a few comas when I was younger ( not that I remember having them) it use to really scare my mum! I don't have there anymore luckily for me .

X

I know I can not believe it haha :p.
That's good for your mum having good control . That's brill that you no longer get them as that would terrify me lol !! .
I have been helping family move , and it's been such a hectic day . Always is the way got the dietician next week so will be looking at everything and been ultra busy Lately lol : my bms so far today .
7.5 3.9 7.4 8.2. Then ill most probs bm before I go to bed later .
Yours sound really good , that is strange how you woke up the exact same I laugh when your before lunch is same as before dinner , like woah I did good haha .
What bm meter do you use , and what insulin are you on ?
:):):)

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahhh brilliant results! Good considering all the exercise you have done helping moving!! Me and my partner have been to our local country park for a picnic with our dogs today was a really nice day! Lovely weather too and topped up my tan which was a bonus! Do you find your blood sugars drop in the heat!?

I'm on novo rapid and levemir and I use a freestyle mini metre! What about you? What are dosages on average?
X

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah was really pleased with them , bet you had a lovely day with your partner . Oh how sweet we have dogs We have staffies , what dogs do you guys have ? Haha deffo a bonus when you get to top up your tan :) Yes I find that I do drop during the hot weather , and I find my diabetes a bit harder to control than normal around girly time lol , time of the month , always changes one day to the next !!
I'm on lantus and novo rapid and I have an accu chek aviva expert as my meter , does yours give you an 90 day average ?
Im on split doses for my lantus so I do lantus am 27u and lantus pm 12u .
Breakfast ratio I need a little more so I do ratio of 1:3
Lunch time 1:1.5
Dinner time was 1:1.5 but recently I upped it to 1:1.8 and it works better for me as was going slightly higher .
This is what I mainly do but then sometimes need to change and tweak it .
What about yourself , what do you do for ratios ect

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
aww we have a chihuahua and a greyhound! very different lol! lev im on 25u pm thats all I take!! I dont work out ratios but between 3-5u per meal! Hows your sugars been today.. have u heard from the nurse yet? My mums on lantus too and novo rapid! but does one dosage she doesnt split it x

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh bless lol , very different but I bet they are both lovley , do they get on well with each other .
My sugars haven't been to bad .
Before breakie : 6.4
After breakie 7.8
Before lunch 8.8 ( could of been lower but was busier and snacked but not to bad )
After lunch 7.0
Then before dinner went hypo .
Haven't done bed time yet . Will have to tweak my lunch ratio as hypoing before dinner . Oh really just out of curiosity how do you know what novo to inject ?
How have your readings been today ?
Well as long as it's working for your mum then it sounds all good hehe :)

My nurse is away for the week so another nurse rang me lovely lady .
She told me who I needed to see , and I was so confused , she told me I needed to see this lady and I said that's my nurse I'm being seen by now she was like aye ? So I explained . And she said no your nurse does the pre conception advice as she's been trained for this, then you go onto the hospital once pregnant . She went through all my bloods asked a few questions and says she doesn't see the problem , and has booked me an appointment for next week to see the exact same nurse who told me to ring the hospital knowing she can do it too .
My heads going to explode soon , so confusing:banghead: And when I saw my gp doctor , she told me I can start trying now and go see her when pregnant . So I will see this pre conception clinic out , then if still no answers who knows .

Sorry long post again :shy:

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Before breakfast I was 3.9 before lunch 14.4 after lunch then 3.6 before dinner so a few lows today! a bit all over the place but been running round like a headless chicken today haha

It was a rough estimate to start of with and then carried on from there. I'm trying to eat same things for breakfast lunch and dinner so I can adjust accordingly then once that's on track tweak it when I need too! So hopefully by the end of this month I'll be spot on! They have been so much better now I'm taking more control! Still bit over the place but gradually getting better ranging from 5-8 on average.

Is the ratio you do from the course you went to I'm intrigued as to how that works?

oh really doctors haven't a clue sometimes!! So the preconception will just be with your gp anyway? If that's the case you can try earlier than you thought?

X

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh and I just checked 5.8! :)

We all have days like that where we so busy , the diabetes is unpredictable. Like I said before I'm not always in target .
That's a brilliant reading you just got !! Specially from being hypo before dinner then that before bed .
Oh yeah I see what you do with your novo, well you have already got better bm readings so seems to be good . Erm I worked very closely with my old diabetic nurse all through my teens , home visits ect . So I was taught to carb count and work out my ratios through him . At a younger age , but yes they do teach all of this on the DAFNE course .
Who do you get seen by for your diabetes ?
Yes so gp doctor advice - folic acid for 6 weeks try in the mean time come see me when your pregnant and werll move you over to hospital .
And you know whats going on with my diabetes team nurses . So yes as you can see confused so I will see what is said at my meeting next week with the diabetes team nurse and see from there , but the nurse on the phone today said my blood tests are all very good and doesn't see the problem .
So not to sure when I can start tbh :cyclops::cyclops::cyclops:
Whats your next step , do you know when your next hba1c is due ?

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My hb is due sept which gives me 3 months to get in tip top then next step I will be following in your foot steps! Which I'm very excited about I see my GP for my diabetes but you can imagine compare to a diabetic nurse they don't no anything! Hoping to go see the adult diabetic nurse next month! I'm more determined now than I have ever been!

You have any brothers and sisters!?

X

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh I get you hence why you said earlier that you might try in three months lol . Fingers crossed for you for your next hba1c , you will have to let me know what it is . Oh dear yeah I can imagine must annoy you sometimes lol !! That would be brill if you could see your local diabetes team nurses .
I feel the exact same , we've been talking about it for a while now , and now I'm kind of on the bottom of the ladder ready to make a start . Took the first step . Me and my partner are very excited but know we have such a long journey ahead of us .
Yeah I have got one younger brother he is 19, younger than me but my is he taller than me lol !! love him to bits :)
What about yourself you got any siblings ?

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
yes of course I will.. I haven't tested much today thought I would have a day of my poor little fingers can't take much more lol! Back on the ball tomorrow! Although I had a terrible low when I came out of work today! hate when I feel really low I feel like I need to eat the world and drink loads of lucozade loool!

I have one older brother who is 26 this year! We are both really close! He is of to Dubai on Saturday with his girlfriend I'm soo jealous lol!

How's your diabetes been today?

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
:D
Oh no I don't blame you for being jealous !! Hide in his suitcase :p surprise !!! Lol
Are your fingers quiet sore lately then , that's never good lol , grr I so hate that , then you literally just stuff your face full of whatever you can grab first , then bm later and like lovely re bound number . I'm trying not to get a re bound after hypo but is hard when you just want to eat everything in sight !!
Before breakie 9.5 after 6.2
Before lunch 6.5 after hypo :mad:
Before dinner 10.8 after dinner 7.5
Before bed 6.3 . Still going to have to tweak ratios as another hypo , but it's difficult as it's time of the month hmmpt .
So Overall , don't think they are too bad . All my nurses and family say I'm to hard on myself but I don't know lol .
How are you feeling now after your low ? Hope your feeling better :)

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hahah yes I don't think he will be too impressed! Hahahahahaha

No my fingers aren't sore thank god!! And when I inject I rotate it :) God ye feel a lot better now haha had some lucozade and a biscuit 15 mins after :) I work a hour away from home so had to hold fire before I could drive :) what symptoms do you get when your having a low blood sugar!?

Any update on baby news yet from nurse doctor?

X

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry got to keep this shirt as got a 4 week old myself just about to wake up.
I got a pump whilst pregnant and it's been the best thing I've ever done I never want to go back to injecting and I'm sure you'll feel the same if you get one.
I had so many worries about it and none if them mattered once I got the pump. Easy to hide, easy to use, honestly don't have to even think about my diabetes hardly compared to injecting when your constantly clock watching.

You need your diabetes control to be as close to a hba1c of 6 as possible and be taking a high dose if folic acid 3 months prior to getting pregnant which is only available prescribed from the dr. I know it's so easy to think you don't need to do it as you should, but please do as things can go wrong in pregnancies with non diabetic mums do better to be safe than sorry. I had a much better controlled pregnancy with my second and has far more problems than when I had my first and my control wasnt as good xx