Me andd my partner are planning on trying for a baby

K8tie_x

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In pregnancy you need to be 5.9 or below pre meals then 7.9 2 hours after those are the rules the hospital give you. I ended up having hardly any carbohydrates as my insulin requirements got higher towards the end of my pregnancy to avoid those post meal highs. i know its really hard but worth but worth it when you have yourbaby xx

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry got to keep this shirt as got a 4 week old myself just about to wake up.
I got a pump whilst pregnant and it's been the best thing I've ever done I never want to go back to injecting and I'm sure you'll feel the same if you get one.
I had so many worries about it and none if them mattered once I got the pump. Easy to hide, easy to use, honestly don't have to even think about my diabetes hardly compared to injecting when your constantly clock watching.

You need your diabetes control to be as close to a hba1c of 6 as possible and be taking a high dose if folic acid 3 months prior to getting pregnant which is only available prescribed from the dr. I know it's so easy to think you don't need to do it as you should, but please do as things can go wrong in pregnancies with non diabetic mums do better to be safe than sorry. I had a much better controlled pregnancy with my second and has far more problems than when I had my first and my control wasnt as good xx
That sounds double duched with your pregnancies doesn't it . But both are healthy now I hope ? You've done so well going through it twice lol !!
I've always been weary of the pump , I have spoken to other people and they have said it can be done on injections so unless anythings said at hospital ect . I'm thinking of staying on injections what was your hba1c before you went onto the pump ?
:):):)

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hahah yes I don't think he will be too impressed! Hahahahahaha

No my fingers aren't sore thank god!! And when I inject I rotate it :) God ye feel a lot better now haha had some lucozade and a biscuit 15 mins after :) I work a hour away from home so had to hold fire before I could drive :) what symptoms do you get when your having a low blood sugar!?

Any update on baby news yet from nurse doctor?

X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

He wouldn't be impressed but you sure would be haha !!
That's good then , yeah I'm always rotating . Oh no how annoying having to wait , but it's best to . To be safe !!
I've always fount this hard to answer . My hypo symptoms . I kind of get the shakes but inside my body if you know what I mean lol :cyclops:.
And that's how I normally catch it . What about yourself ?
Nope no news I have got an appointment for next Thursday . So we shall see !!
That's the only thing I've been told is to have tight tight control and have good bms an hour after my meals . So I've done a few . But want more info on this lol

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
In pregnancy you need to be 5.9 or below pre meals then 7.9 2 hours after those are the rules the hospital give you. I ended up having hardly any carbohydrates as my insulin requirements got higher towards the end of my pregnancy to avoid those post meal highs. i know its really hard but worth but worth it when you have yourbaby xx
I can imagine how hard it's going to be . Hardest thing I've most probably done lol .
But I know it will be worth it once the baby would be here well hopefully lol . It's just the carrying .
:p

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Kirstfinley & Cloe

my hubby & I have been given the green light to 'start trying' (hate that expression!!), so hoping it won't be too long until we have some good news.It's been a little more complicated for us as I have bad retinopathy in one eye, so it's been a long road to get to this point, but the sense of achievement I got at my clinic appointment on 'green light day' was immense. Not ashamed to say there were a few tears!!

Preconception care for me has been so important, and I am more confident at the thought of going into pregnancy with a supportive team at the hospital. The thought of those tight BG targets was quite terrifying at first, but my DSN and consultant assure me it IS very possible, that loads of women deliver healthy, bouncing babies, and that I can do it too.

My DSN has said she wants me to email my BG results weekly once I'm pregnant, and my local hospital also does a combined ante-natal clinic, so you get your obstetric and diabetes care at a one-stop-shop. Don't be afraid to ask bucket loads of questions, that's what your team are there for.

I've been on a pump for coming up 4 months. My HbA1c was stable enough pre-Xmas for us to start a family then, but I knew I was getting a pump in February and wanted to get settled on that first. It's been tough trying to be patient though! But it's been a bit of a blessing, really, as I've been able to work out what foods spike my BG and what has less of an effect (important for those post-meal readings). Also been on folic acid, been to GP to change some other meds over, and read helpful forums like this for 'insider' tips! Plus told hubby he had to do his bit, so he's quit smoking and cut down on the beers after work.

I'm 34, been diabetic for 30 years. God, seeing that in type makes me realise how long it's been!

Keep me posted, would be good to (hopefully) share experiences. I know lots of pregnant ladies, but none of them are in our special club!

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kirstfinley & Cloe

my hubby & I have been given the green light to 'start trying' (hate that expression!!), so hoping it won't be too long until we have some good news.It's been a little more complicated for us as I have bad retinopathy in one eye, so it's been a long road to get to this point, but the sense of achievement I got at my clinic appointment on 'green light day' was immense. Not ashamed to say there were a few tears!!

Preconception care for me has been so important, and I am more confident at the thought of going into pregnancy with a supportive team at the hospital. The thought of those tight BG targets was quite terrifying at first, but my DSN and consultant assure me it IS very possible, that loads of women deliver healthy, bouncing babies, and that I can do it too.

My DSN has said she wants me to email my BG results weekly once I'm pregnant, and my local hospital also does a combined ante-natal clinic, so you get your obstetric and diabetes care at a one-stop-shop. Don't be afraid to ask bucket loads of questions, that's what your team are there for.

I've been on a pump for coming up 4 months. My HbA1c was stable enough pre-Xmas for us to start a family then, but I knew I was getting a pump in February and wanted to get settled on that first. It's been tough trying to be patient though! But it's been a bit of a blessing, really, as I've been able to work out what foods spike my BG and what has less of an effect (important for those post-meal readings). Also been on folic acid, been to GP to change some other meds over, and read helpful forums like this for 'insider' tips! Plus told hubby he had to do his bit, so he's quit smoking and cut down on the beers after work.

I'm 34, been diabetic for 30 years. God, seeing that in type makes me realise how long it's been!

Keep me posted, would be good to (hopefully) share experiences. I know lots of pregnant ladies, but none of them are in our special club!
Hello :) .
First of all congratulations on your journey so far and how far you have came !! It's amazing .
I am not surprised there was a few tears , what an accomplishment to been given the go ahead . It shows all that hard work has paid off .
That's brilliant that you was patient I would of done the same if I new I was changing over to a pump as heard it can take a while to settle with it .
I'm planning to stay on injections during my pregnancy . That's brilliant aswell that you have already got them plans . That you can email over your readings ect . Wish I had a bit more info as at the moment I'm being sent round in circles . I am also on folic acid but have only just started to take that so not been on it very long . Hopefully I will find out a bit more info soon if my team can get it right this time !! .
That's what I'm doing currently having a little test run with bms ect . What is you current hba1c if you don't mind me asking ?
I am 22 and was diagnosed at the age of 7 .
Will be lovley to stay in contact as it's always good to share experience and hopefully our journeys !!
Good luck to you . I have read so many other people have done it I hope I can too !!
I loved that saying our special club haha !!
Take care

kazC

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi Cloe

it sounds like it's been a bit of a nightmare trying to get into the pre-conception 'loop' - hopefully once you're in a clinic you'll get all the answers you need. I'm sure it seems like the longest wait for that phone call?!

I was also planning to stay on injections during pregnancy, and the nurses at the hospital said they looked after lots of women doing just that. If I'd been further down the waiting list for the pump - perhaps only getting it this month, for example - we would've gone ahead in January. It's just now I can see the advantages the pump will bring.

HbA1c at start of June was 6.3 (can't get used to the new way of reporting it), pre-pump, in Feb, was 6.8. It's been 7 or below for a couple of years.

The way i look at it, if we're putting in this work now, we stand as good a chance as anyone of doing great throughout pregnancy - in terms of diabetes, at least! I don't think there's any exemption from morning sickness..................lol!

Reactions: 2 people

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Cloe

it sounds like it's been a bit of a nightmare trying to get into the pre-conception 'loop' - hopefully once you're in a clinic you'll get all the answers you need. I'm sure it seems like the longest wait for that phone call?!

I was also planning to stay on injections during pregnancy, and the nurses at the hospital said they looked after lots of women doing just that. If I'd been further down the waiting list for the pump - perhaps only getting it this month, for example - we would've gone ahead in January. It's just now I can see the advantages the pump will bring.

HbA1c at start of June was 6.3 (can't get used to the new way of reporting it), pre-pump, in Feb, was 6.8. It's been 7 or below for a couple of years.

The way i look at it, if we're putting in this work now, we stand as good a chance as anyone of doing great throughout pregnancy - in terms of diabetes, at least! I don't think there's any exemption from morning sickness..................lol!
Well on my other post , told my diabetes team nurse , folic acid ect by doctor , then ring hospital for pre conception .
Gp nope just come back to me once pregnant . Hmmpt can't find the number ring back my diabetes team oh it's so and so you see for pre conception clinic , I was like sorry that's who I'm seeing now and sent me to ring the hospital she said no it's her you see so now have an appointment next Thursday with the nurse I started off with :confused: I'm trying to do whats right and feel it's not working but I shall get there !!
That's brilliant hba1cs mine is currently 6.7 6 months prior 6.4 I hate the new way you say your hba1c I like the % way lol .
There all happy with my bloods ect , I just want to know what I do next as haven't got any answers yet lol .

Yes that's a very good way to look at it . And all we can do is try our best and work closely with our teams and hope for the best .
I have such a supportive family and partner and that really helps me . No haha !! Don't think any one is going to escape the morning sickness .
Such a long journey and a worrying journey but be so worth it if we can get to the end results eeek .

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
He wouldn't be impressed but you sure would be haha !!
That's good then , yeah I'm always rotating . Oh no how annoying having to wait , but it's best to . To be safe !!
I've always fount this hard to answer . My hypo symptoms . I kind of get the shakes but inside my body if you know what I mean lol :cyclops:.
And that's how I normally catch it . What about yourself ?
Nope no news I have got an appointment for next Thursday . So we shall see !!
That's the only thing I've been told is to have tight tight control and have good bms an hour after my meals . So I've done a few . But want more info on this lol

Yes I get the shakes inside too hahaha can't describe it the feeling it's weird!
Oh yes the more info the better! Fingers crossed Thursday you will get better clarification nothing worse than not knowing anything! X

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry got to keep this shirt as got a 4 week old myself just about to wake up.
I got a pump whilst pregnant and it's been the best thing I've ever done I never want to go back to injecting and I'm sure you'll feel the same if you get one.
I had so many worries about it and none if them mattered once I got the pump. Easy to hide, easy to use, honestly don't have to even think about my diabetes hardly compared to injecting when your constantly clock watching.

You need your diabetes control to be as close to a hba1c of 6 as possible and be taking a high dose if folic acid 3 months prior to getting pregnant which is only available prescribed from the dr. I know it's so easy to think you don't need to do it as you should, but please do as things can go wrong in pregnancies with non diabetic mums do better to be safe than sorry. I had a much better controlled pregnancy with my second and has far more problems than when I had my first and my control wasnt as good xx
Hi k8tie! I'm really considering the pump but heard the waiting list is as long as my arm times a million lol.... I'm really determined to get myself back of track! And very excited for the things ahead of me just need to keep that determination I will never forgive myself otherwise x

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kirstfinley & Cloe

Ohhhh now exciting congratulations! My diabetes these last few years hasn't been great! but I am really focused and determined! I really want the best for me and my family! I'm really scared that I'm not doing good enough or that I'm not doing enough to get my hb down. Fingers crossed in sept I can start the process but my main focus at the moment is for me to keep going and get back on track!

I do love Wednesdays one born every minute is on ,) which gets me even more excited x

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes I get the shakes inside too hahaha can't describe it the feeling it's weird!
Oh yes the more info the better! Fingers crossed Thursday you will get better clarification nothing worse than not knowing anything! X

Is deffo strange , and can feel sick :yuck:.
Yeah hopefully I can find out a bit more . If not I will have to say something . As I need to know what to do lol .
How's your bms been today ?

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was 8.8 this morning and 6.8 before dinner will check again about 9 :) I've felt not to good today tho really bad headaches etc I normally get head aches when my blood is high!

How about you? You watching one born every minute tonight!? I love that programme :)

I have had a bit of a down day today just keep thinking I can't do this even tho I know I can :(

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakie 7.2 One an a half hours later 6.2
Lunch 3.9 an hour n half later 8.8
Dinner 6.2 an hour n half later 4.7
Yet to do bed bm .
They seem pretty good readings , maybe see what your bedtime one is and see if maybe you have gone high . To have headaches .
Sometimes I can not tell the difference from being hydrated and being high so if you bms good you may need a drink . Or might just have a headache haha :p .

Omg ofcourse I am . Never miss them when the series finishes I'm like Nooo !! :( I look forward to Wednesday so I can watch it haha :p

Oh know hated reading that last bit about you feeling down . I'm not good with advice . But I think everyone has their down days . But if a lot of other women are able to do this you can too. Will be a lot of work and will be really hard . But it is do able and like you said you know you can do this .
Any reason in particular you are feeling down ? Or is it the feeling you can not do this .
And you have also said you have a great supportive family and other half , and everyone will help you . You've already made good progress with taking back control .
I hope you feel better soon about it all :(.

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh that's really good readings!!! Ye I may just have a headache me overthinking lol I will check again at 9 and see what I am!!

Ah me too I'm already in my pjs in bed with my cup of tea waiting heheh :) my partners gone fishing for the night so TV all to myself lol

I don't really know I just panic that I'm not going to get it right! And I really need to and want to get myself sorted! You carb count don't you? What kind of foods do you eat I try and keep low carb but can't seem to find many that are low x

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh that's really good readings!!! Ye I may just have a headache me overthinking lol I will check again at 9 and see what I am!!

Ah me too I'm already in my pjs in bed with my cup of tea waiting heheh :) my partners gone fishing for the night so TV all to myself lol

I don't really know I just panic that I'm not going to get it right! And I really need to and want to get myself sorted! You carb count don't you? What kind of foods do you eat I try and keep low carb but can't seem to find many that are low x

Thinking can deffo give you a headache lol !! There's so much to think about lately aswell .
Snap I'm in my jarmas in my bed minus the tea , I got a juice lol !! Oh result lol , my partners on his xbox so everyone's happy lol .

Yeah I get where your coming from , I have to admit I do feel nervous about it all . But if we are doing are best that's all we can do , there will be blips but as long as we can correct it all should hopefully be ok .but it's a big blooming thing to do . So I totally understand.

I do carb count yes , I've recently changed my eating as was just having whatever really chips breaded chicken ect . Then I looked at the fat woah lol so stopped all that . My eatings rather boring at the moment .
Breakfast I have porridge . Lunch time I'll have rivita crackers . Then dinners I've been doing
Egg noodles and chicken .
Chicken breast with mixed herbs and mixed chillis , with new potatoes and veg .
Pasta and tuna or a sauce .
Or will have my mums chicken and rice she makes haha ,
I've also changed my rice to whole grain and same with my pasta . As it's slow realease . I'm not on low carbs or anything so probs not the best person to ask haha . What do you eat at each meal ?
I'm seeing the dietician friday . I could tell you what she advices if you want me to

kirstfinley

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast normally toast lunch would be same rivita or soup and dinner depends what's cooking ... Curry roast chicken salad :) I've just switched to granary bread rather than white :) so hopefully that will be a bit better for me:)

I'm really nervous about it all but also really excited :)

I may book in with the diabetic nurse for a check up before September! Don't think I can wait that long! Mrs impatient hehe
And yes please any Info for me at the moment helps massively
You have any nice plans for the weekend?

X

Cloe-1992

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Breakfast normally toast lunch would be same rivita or soup and dinner depends what's cooking ... Curry roast chicken salad :) I've just switched to granary bread rather than white :) so hopefully that will be a bit better for me:)

I'm really nervous about it all but also really excited :)

I may book in with the diabetic nurse for a check up before September! Don't think I can wait that long! Mrs impatient hehe
And yes please any Info for me at the moment helps massively
You have any nice plans for the weekend?

X

Last bm for today 5.4 . Will need to have a small snack though as will hypo during the night on that .
Even food is sounding pretty similar and both got the idea to change from white to brown . Even though I had brown pasta and got a spike had white rice didn't have a spike was like what haha . But tonight whole grain rice no spike so :confused:

Yeah it's very mixed emotions lol .
Yeah why not you could always ask I'm sure they will see you earlier as they always say ring us up if needed ect .
I shall pass onto you what I get told friday :).
I'm painting certain bedrooms on the weekend as having a change around so yeah fun !! :meh:
What about yourself ?
Ooo I loved tonight's series : that mum it's like pooing out a massive melon lmao !!
And she ended up choosing Jacob as the name after all lol . You watch that and think my god got a long way to go lol .