Off the Metformin: Diary

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you for your good wishes. I've just pottered around for the last couple of days and done nothing relating to school . I feel very bad about that but I feel a lot better for having the rest. I'm worrying most about the ECG because the nurse said it looked normal but some blips with the beat. She then said it wasn't for her to interpret and the doctor would be in touch. My own feeling is that it's stress/anxiety. My stomach has stopped the churning and my pulse doesn't feel as though it's racing.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

You can get all sorts of skipped beats, extra beats etc with anxiety. Hope the GP is in touch soon and that you feel calmer in yourself. I have an appointment just to check my BP in an hour an already I can feel it rising so stress is a strange and terrible ailment in its own right.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get all sorts of skipped beats, extra beats etc with anxiety. Hope the GP is in touch soon and that you feel calmer in yourself. I have an appointment just to check my BP in an hour an already I can feel it rising so stress is a strange and terrible ailment in its own right.
Thanks for that reassurance. I also think anxiety is the cause. Rang the surgery today and the thyroid test is clear. The doctor wasn't in today so still waiting regarding the ECG. I'm sure it will be ok.
I'm having a rest from testing at the moment because I was getting a bit obsessive with it for no reason. I'm eating the usual things so I know I should be ok.
Thanks again :)

Reactions: 3 people

gfmoore

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for that reassurance. I also think anxiety is the cause. Rang the surgery today and the thyroid test is clear. The doctor wasn't in today so still waiting regarding the ECG. I'm sure it will be ok.
I'm having a rest from testing at the moment because I was getting a bit obsessive with it for no reason. I'm eating the usual things so I know I should be ok.
Thanks again :)

Yep anxiety or a sudden stressor in your day can really hit the bg level, quite amazing really - but then that's the job of the adrenaline to get you ready for fighting someone lol.

When you say "getting a bit obsessive" how often were you testing? I can relate to that, but I still like to keep an eye on it, because I sure can't sense in my own self what my level is.

That's a good question - I think I'll create a new thread.

Anyway - keep taking it easier, it's a lovely day (even with a bit of rain) :)

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that is my problem ... Not sensing what sort of level I might be. I'm always dizzy!! I also got it into my head that the stomach churning was my liver dumping glucose. I've heard lots of people talk about what the liver does and, because I had been eating at odd times and going for lengthy periods between meals, I wondered if it was my liver. The churning began a couple of days after I stopped the last dose of metformin. It then disappeared for over 2 weeks then began again last week. I'm sure it's stress and/ or anxiety. First time round I was worrying what would happen when I stopped the med. this time I'm very busy at work and not getting any younger. I can't burn the midnight oil like I used to.

I think my BG has been ok even though I haven't tested myself. I'm not worrying about that at the moment.

By obsessive I mean I'm testing before every meal and 1 he and 2 hr after. On waking and before bed. Probably no more than others but I think it's probably not necessary when I'm eating same things. I just want to check because I'm no longer on med. my other "obsession" is walking. I say this because that's how my daughter is describing me. In fact she thinks I'm obsessed with diabetes. Ha ... I told her it's the diabetes that's obsessed with me! It won't leave me alone!! ;-)

Thanks for the pep talk :)

Reactions: 4 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It was a week last Thursday that I was sent home from work, feeling not too good.

Thyroid checked : clear
ECG : doc said normal but if symptoms persist go back.

I had 4 days complete rest and I seemed to get back to normal. Went back to work Monday and felt dreadful again by Tuesday. Finished reports Thursday and by evening felt much better. Sure it was anxiety/stress/sleep deprivation. I used to manage on 3 hours a night during busy report period. Not any more.

I haven't done any testing since that Thursday. I didn't order any more strips so I can't be tempted. I'm sticking to my usual foods so I know I can't be doing anything serious regarding BG. I'll get back to it once school's out.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey @peacetrain
I am so sorry you have been having a tough time recently. I have been away and missed your posts. Just read up the last few weeks. I came off Metformin just a few weeks before you. I haven't felt any different. Bought a meter and started testing, but as I wasn't testing before have nothing to compare with.
I have been playing 'Russian roulette' a bit with carbs, while I was away, but will be sensible again now.

I think you have been doing so well, and hope that the break away from school will have you feeling better and rested.

I laughed at your post about the class pizzas. Surely you would never have eaten any, even when you were not low carbing? I used to work with young children, and there was no way I would have ever had tasted any food they had prepared. Never know where those little fingers have been, and I bet their finger nails looked really clean after kneading the pizza dough! YUCKK!

Reactions: 6 people

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think you have proved to yourself that your problems were down to anxiety. You can now look forward to a long break with plenty of relaxation and enjoyable walks. Take care.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hey @peacetrain
I am so sorry you have been having a tough time recently. I have been away and missed your posts. Just read up the last few weeks. I came off Metformin just a few weeks before you. I haven't felt any different. Bought a meter and started testing, but as I wasn't testing before have nothing to compare with.
I have been playing 'Russian roulette' a bit with carbs, while I was away, but will be sensible again now.

I think you have been doing so well, and hope that the break away from school will have you feeling better and rested.

I laughed at your post about the class pizzas. Surely you would never have eaten any, even when you were not low carbing? I used to work with young children, and there was no way I would have ever had tasted any food they had prepared. Never know where those little fingers have been, and I bet their finger nails looked really clean after kneading the pizza dough! YUCKK!
You got it!! A couple of the pizzas went straight to the windowsill and never made it to the oven!! One of the boys had fingernails caked in what he said was playdough. Ugh!! Aart from those two, they all washed their hands and kept them in plain view at all times.

Not cooking related but I remember once, the children created a collage in art. One little boy managed to stick everything down without using glue!! Yuk!!

Reactions: 6 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You got it!! A couple of the pizzas went straight to the windowsill and never made it to the oven!! One of the boys had fingernails caked in what he said was playdough. Ugh!! Aart from those two, they all washed their hands and kept them in plain view at all times.

Not cooking related but I remember once, the children created a collage in art. One little boy managed to stick everything down without using glue!! Yuk!!

How times change. I now visit a relative in a demetia care home. The residents often make biscuits which I thought they offered as refreshments. I was assured by the activities organiser that the ones rolled out by the residents to send to the cooker were discarded and replaced with hygenically prepared ones from the chef's kitchen. For once I was grateful to have diabetes as a reason not to sample any.

Reactions: 5 people

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I thought I'd give a brief update but without too much analysis because it makes my brain hurt!!

Firstly, the break from work appears to have done it's job and I haven't felt as anxious. :)

I didn't test for 5 weeks but did test whilst on holiday in Turkey from 8th august until 25th. Although the 33-40 degree heat range affected me physically it didn't seem to affect my BG. By physically I mean fluid in lower legs and ankles and perspiration. My friends laugh at me because I take cold showers and I don't get under the bed covers!

The first week I stayed with meat eaters. Managed to keep to my usual 50g carbs max. Average meter reading 5.7. No exercise taken.

The second week I stayed with occasional meat eaters. Had one meal where meat was included. Carb intake went up to max 90g. What interested me was my BG didn't rise significantly and my average reading didn't rise. This may be due to the fact I had my usual walk each evening or during the day on odd occasions. Unfortunately only two meals a day and I struggled with that. I'm not very good at asking for things. Any way I survived but had quite a few 4.8 readings which is a little low for me personally.

For the last 2 nights I was back with the meat eaters so I got my strength back.

Overall I never felt the inclination to overindulge. I adore watermelon but limited myself to two cubes once a day. I didn't want to appear a total control freak so I had the equivalent of a quarter slice of bread each day. If rice was served, I had a dessert spoon quantity. Turkish pasta ... Again a dessert spoonful. Lots of beans, okra, olives, salad, cheese and home made yoghurt made from sheep's milk.

I lost 3lbs during my holiday. I usually do because I'm polite and don't stuff my face in public lol!

The good meter readings, despite increased carb consumption has made me realise I may now be able to tolerate more carbs.

Another factor:
I have lost 36% of my original body weight this time last year. Some of that loss being due, I think, to in diagnosed diabetes. I think the benefits of the weight loss may be kicking in. BMI now 28.5 but I still have some way to go.

This evening my daughter decided to go to McDonald's. This isn't a lace I would normally frequent but I decided to conduct a little experiment, eating something I haven't touched in a year. .. French fries!! Potato!! I had a small serving with mozzarella in breadcrumbs (ate all the mozzarella but only the coating of one. The total carbs for the meal was 45g carbs, almost a total daily amount in my usual daily diet.
Readings:
Before. 5
After 1 hr. 5.8
After 2 hrs. 5.7
After 3 hrs. 5.8
After 3.5 hrs. 5.1

I must stress that I will not be eating this type of food again. It doesn't appeal to me at all any more. I also don't wish to go back to carb fests. Just an interesting experiment for me. Once I reach my target weight I will need to jiggle around with carbs and menus so if I am able to tolerate a few more carbs that may help.

Of course the new term begins next Thursday ... I'm already worrying about the new curriculum arrangements and working with a different colleague ( we don't have the same working methods :-(. )

So ... There it is. I'm happy but in no way complacent. :)

Reactions: 4 people

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
I thought I'd give a brief update but without too much analysis because it makes my brain hurt!!

Firstly, the break from work appears to have done it's job and I haven't felt as anxious. :)

I didn't test for 5 weeks but did test whilst on holiday in Turkey from 8th august until 25th. Although the 33-40 degree heat range affected me physically it didn't seem to affect my BG. By physically I mean fluid in lower legs and ankles and perspiration. My friends laugh at me because I take cold showers and I don't get under the bed covers!

The first week I stayed with meat eaters. Managed to keep to my usual 50g carbs max. Average meter reading 5.7. No exercise taken.

The second week I stayed with occasional meat eaters. Had one meal where meat was included. Carb intake went up to max 90g. What interested me was my BG didn't rise significantly and my average reading didn't rise. This may be due to the fact I had my usual walk each evening or during the day on odd occasions. Unfortunately only two meals a day and I struggled with that. I'm not very good at asking for things. Any way I survived but had quite a few 4.8 readings which is a little low for me personally.

For the last 2 nights I was back with the meat eaters so I got my strength back.

Overall I never felt the inclination to overindulge. I adore watermelon but limited myself to two cubes once a day. I didn't want to appear a total control freak so I had the equivalent of a quarter slice of bread each day. If rice was served, I had a dessert spoon quantity. Turkish pasta ... Again a dessert spoonful. Lots of beans, okra, olives, salad, cheese and home made yoghurt made from sheep's milk.

I lost 3lbs during my holiday. I usually do because I'm polite and don't stuff my face in public lol!

The good meter readings, despite increased carb consumption has made me realise I may now be able to tolerate more carbs.

Another factor:
I have lost 36% of my original body weight this time last year. Some of that loss being due, I think, to in diagnosed diabetes. I think the benefits of the weight loss may be kicking in. BMI now 28.5 but I still have some way to go.

This evening my daughter decided to go to McDonald's. This isn't a lace I would normally frequent but I decided to conduct a little experiment, eating something I haven't touched in a year. .. French fries!! Potato!! I had a small serving with mozzarella in breadcrumbs (ate all the mozzarella but only the coating of one. The total carbs for the meal was 45g carbs, almost a total daily amount in my usual daily diet.
Readings:
Before. 5
After 1 hr. 5.8
After 2 hrs. 5.7
After 3 hrs. 5.8
After 3.5 hrs. 5.1

I must stress that I will not be eating this type of food again. It doesn't appeal to me at all any more. I also don't wish to go back to carb fests. Just an interesting experiment for me. Once I reach my target weight I will need to jiggle around with carbs and menus so if I am able to tolerate a few more carbs that may help.

Of course the new term begins next Thursday ... I'm already worrying about the new curriculum arrangements and working with a different colleague ( we don't have the same working methods :-(. )

So ... There it is. I'm happy but in no way complacent. :)

Great update, sounds like you had a great holiday and that's what matters :)

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Sounds good to me Peacetrain, glad you've had a relaxing break :)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Welcome back from your holiday. It all sounds good to me, too. It looks like your readings are perfect and that the insulin resistance has improved considerably. Well done on all that weight loss. 36% is inspiring. If going back to school is stressing you again, is it time for a change? Easier said than done, I know, but perhaps worth considering. Your health is more important.

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well! It was great to be with such good friends, though it was a little like being the queen this year. They hadn't seen me since October and couldn't believe the difference. One day we had to keep stopping as we walked around the village because neighbours who knew me wanted to know how I'd done it. One quote "you were cute before but you're so beautiful now!" Ha ha! Not sure how I should take that!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a mishap at the top of a marble staircase a week ago. I was carrying bags and a watermelon. I tripped at the top and when with a heavy smack straight on my knees. The left took most of it. Immediate thought was "I'm glad I've got insurance, I've broken my knees!"

My friend grated potato, warmed it in olive oil, spread it on my knees, covered with kitchen tissue and wrapped my legs in cling film! I looked like a microwave ready meal! It's a remedy to stop bruising. Two nights of it helped stop all the dark blue bruising but almost 30 cm from just under knee cap is now a lovely green with one bright red, hot bump. No broken skin but a lot of numbness where main impact was. Went to doctor on Tuesday and I'm on antibiotics because I've developed cellulitis. Have to rest leg too! Humph!!

peacetrain

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hmmm ... On 3 occasions in the last year I have had a kebab. Usually when I've wanted something got but in a hurry. I just ate the chicken pieces, the salad and left the pitta. No dressing.

I was in a similar position yesterday but, because I seem to be getting some good results from eating more carbs, I decided to experiment. I ate the whole thing. I forgot to take a reading before eating but the reading 4 hours before was 6.

So:
I ate the kebab and a huge amount of no sugar jelly. I calculated around 56g of carbs which is more than I would eat in a whole day up to 2 weeks ago.
1 hour later @
21:35. =. 4.7 ( tested 3 times due to disbelief!)
22:06. =. 5.1 (tested twice)
22:42. = 5.1 (tested twice)
23:12. = 4.9 (tested twice)

Went to bed.

06:10 this morning 5.2

Mixed feelings. I'm happy that I seem to be able to tolerate more carby meals because it allows flexibility when I go to someone's home.

Then again, I'm a little scared. As I have a history of emotional eating and carb addiction tendencies , I'm scared I'll fall into old ways. I've felt so secure in my little 50g a day cocoon. I don't want to lose control of my eating habits.

The kebab was an experiment and I should say I didn't eat more calories than I should during the whole day.

I haven't been able to do my walks, as mentioned previously, but after eating the kebab I did some stair climbing every 20 minutes. 5 times up and down the stairs each time. If it coincided with a bg test, I tested before climbing the stairs.

Last edited by a moderator: