Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
There's no known cause as yet , so the answer for now is NO.

Geordie lass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I was normal weight when diagnosed with T1. But my weight has increased since being diabetic! Bloody typical!

Reactions: 4 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
I was 8 1/2 stone when I became ill ( went down to just over 7 stone) I'm just under 9 stone now, so not much difference.:) Yes it is an autoimmune condition/disease but I'm sure there may be some who are over weigh,t as diabetes seems to have mutated over the years ( only the main type's, 1 and 2, were the one's I knew of when I was diagnosed). With best wishes

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
It just hits us out of the blue, not fair ( especially the children and young adults) but unfortunately that's life I'm afraid. But onwards and upwards and not to let it defeat us but to keep kicking diabetes derrière :p to show who's boss.:playful: .

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What do you mean? Do you mean does obesity cause Type 1 diabetes? (No). Do you mean can you be obese when you have Type 1 diabetes? (Yes, definitely). Do you mean can you be obese when diagnosed with Type 1? (Unlikely but possible). Do you mean does obesity rule out or prevent Type 1? (Definitely not).

Reactions: 11 people

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
If you mean by Type 1 autoimmune destruction of insulin producing beta cells - characterised by high GAD antibodies and very low c-peptide levels, then answer is no as others have said. However obesity can definitely impact how well a Type 1's body processes injected insulin by increasing insulin resistance.

But if you are referring to all insulin depdendent diabetes, the answer is maybe. Some type 2's, gestational D's and other types need to supplement their own insulin production (which may be dropping) with additional injected insulin to manage severe insulin resistance and control BG. Obesity often goes hand in hand with high insulin resistance.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you mean by Type 1 autoimmune destruction of insulin producing beta cells - characterised by high GAD antibodies and very low c-peptide levels, then answer is no as others have said. However obesity can definitely impact how well a Type 1's body processes injected insulin by increasing insulin resistance.

But if you are referring to all insulin depdendent diabetes, the answer is maybe. Some type 2's, gestational D's and other types need to supplement their own insulin production (which may be dropping) with additional injected insulin to manage severe insulin resistance and control BG. Obesity often goes hand in hand with high insulin resistance.
I don't get this. Do you mean obesity protects you from autoimmune diseases in general, or only diabetes?

oldgreymare

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Commuting, overcrowded spaces, especially after the arrival of covid-19...
I don't get this. Do you mean obesity protects you from autoimmune diseases in general, or only diabetes?
Sorry I wasn't clear. Obesity won't cause Type 1 which is an autoimmune disease. But obesity may make Type 1 harder to manage by increasing insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is generally considered bad and is also a characteristic of metabolic syndrome/pre-diabetes (Type 2).

In fact to the degree that obesity may be associated with increased levels of inflammation, it may make numerous autoimmune conditions worse. But I am not aware of any evidence that obesity on its own causes Type 1.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry I wasn't clear. Obesity won't cause Type 1 which is an autoimmune disease. But obesity may make Type 1 harder to manage by increasing insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is generally considered bad and is also a characteristic of metabolic syndrome/pre-diabetes (Type 2).

In fact to the degree that obesity may be associated with increased levels of inflammation, it may make numerous autoimmune conditions worse. But I am not aware of any evidence that obesity on its own causes Type 1.
I understood the question as: Is it possible to get type 1 if you are obese?

Gary Thom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this has been answered but I was obese when I got T1D. However, by time of diagnosis I was in the normal BMI range and I'm still there which is the silver lining from this. Nothing I've read would suggest that my obesity caused my diabetes - though my GP originally had me down as type II, understandably so.

In some ways I'm glad it's type I as I prefer the self-pitying 'darn my bad luck' to the 'my ****** lifestyle has really messed me up' type thinking. Sorted myself out diet-wise and if anything Diabetes has been the trigger to becoming much healthier.

amberzak

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Competitive sport. I'm more of a for fun type person.
I have always been larger than average, but lost lots of weight when I was ill.

Put loads on now though

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App