1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2020 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Does type 1 happen with obesity?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Rob Mitchell, Jun 3, 2014.

1. JRW

JRW Type 1 · Well-Known Member

LOL this thread.

2. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

There are other risk factors too for developing type 2 diabetes, age, hereditary and certain ethnic groups are at a heightened risk.

3. ElyDave

ElyDave Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Me too, the weekend before diagnosis I'd run a 23 mile fell race in under 4hr 30

4. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

In that case I am type 1. Who would have guessed!

5. Pilgrim22

Pilgrim22 LADA · Well-Known Member

Totto, have you been diagnosed by a doctor?
    You cannot diagnose your self type 1

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

6. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Tongue in cheek totto?

Loving life

7. Totto

Totto Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I was ironic. Of course I am type 2 but monkeymutha stated it was impossible if you are not obese and with a BMI of 23 I consider myself being of normal weight. Thus I must be type 1.

• Like Like x 4
  8. oldgreymare

oldgreymare Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Let's consider the hypothesis that obesity is a side effect of insulin resistance and/or carb sensitivity as opposed to an underlying causal factor. This means that obesity does not necessarily "cause" diabetes, rather that a common underlying factor (including genetics) may predispose an individual to both type 2 diabetes and obesity. If low carb works for you then I think you have found the culprit (carbs). That said, this is NOT a universal truth - there are plenty of well padded (obese) individuals who tolerate carbs just fine and will never suffer from insulin resistance and/or type 2 diabetes.

But Type 1 is an autoimmune condition so all the above is irrelevant - well maybe not quite...obesity and metabolic syndrome can be associated with elevated inflammatory responses - these may be involved in triggering/accelerating (auto)immune responses....

So IMHO obesity is not a direct cause of Type 1 diabetes, but I believe it has the ability to potentiate the symptoms, perhaps shorten LADA stages - just my personal interpretation. But you can definitely be Type 1 and obese. Thin Type 2s are another story ;)

9. amberzak

amberzak Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well said

Some type 2s are linked to obesity, but that doesn't mean they all are.

My type one is to do with some disease I had as a child (not sure what it was). No one in my family has type one diabetes.

10. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Looks like someone is stereotyping all type 2's as being obese.... Not on..

Loving life

• Like Like x 2
  11. Yorksman

Yorksman Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Type 1 is increasingly seen as an auto immune disorder which is likely triggered by those with a certain genetic make up. It's not just one gene. The auto immune system attacks the insulin producing beta cells as it sees them as 'foreign', rather like it attacks other foreign bodies such as bacteria. Of course, this group can include obese people but it is by no means exclusive to them.

Type 2 is seen as a metabolic disorder where the insulin producing function is impaired. There are likely several causes, obesity being one major cause though most obese people are not diabetic. Again, why some obese people get type 2 whilst most don't probably has some genetic explanation, though it is not well researched. Everyone it seems, has their own particular tipping point, from non diabetic to diabetic, but no one knows what it is until it happens. A very good example of life's a lottery. If obese type 2s can feel cheesed off, spare a thought for those type 2s who are not obese. Some rather thin people can get type 2. That's like someone else holding the gun, spinning the chamber and playing russian roulette with your life. At least, if you are eating too many doughnuts, you know you shouldn't be and that you run a risk.

The fat cells that you have are laid down at birth. Your body expands or contracts its fat content in these locations. That's why weight goes on and off certain parts of the body and no matter what they do, some people just can't lose it here or there. Some poor souls just get it in the wrong place, liver and pancreas, from the word go.

Fat cell number is set in childhood and stays constant in adulthood

• Like Like x 3
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook