Propranolol

diabetic12yrs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I am a type 1 diabetic for 12yrs. Recently i was put on a beta blocker which the doctor never mentioned to me, that it hides the symptoms of hypoglycemia. has any other type 1's had any issues with this? thanks

C

catherinecherub

I'll bump your post up for a reply from a Type 1. Are you taking them for anxiety or blood pressure?

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I take 1.25 mg bisoprolol which does take the edge off hypo symptoms but I still have good awareness. What dose are you on?

C

catherinecherub

Hi. I am a type 1 diabetic for 12yrs. Recently i was put on a beta blocker which the doctor never mentioned to me, that it hides the symptoms of hypoglycemia. has any other type 1's had any issues with this? thanks

Beta-blockers do not reduce anxiety itself, but can reduce some of the symptoms. For example, they can reduce shaking (tremor) and a fast heart rate. It is sometimes the lesser of two evils and your Dr may see the anxiety as a bigger problem for you.
If you are concerned about the possibility of masking hypo symptoms then please speak to your Dr. but do not stop taking them as they have to be tapered off .

Reactions: 4 people