Live longer with metformin??

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Article in todays daily telegraph - Cardiff University done research study and now reckon that metformin users live longer than those living without drugs....

Or could it be because when you are on metformin that people see themselves differentally and try to do something about their health? I take it they must have had placebo's as well?

Loving life

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Yep, that will be interesting.... Have been looking... Can't find info??

Loving life

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Never saw that thread.. Thankyou.

Loving life

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Pasta, sorry to me it's vile, yeuch lol (and full of nasty carbs)
Well here's a report from The University of Life -
Metformin is cheap as chips to prescribe (bean-counters at the NHS love this fact).
Metformin has got loads of nasty side-effects (mainly GI symtoms) but it can cause metabolic acidosis and you're likely to pop-off in an ICU Unit.
Metformin gave me the skitters and nearly killed me as I have had half my colon removed.
Metormin should be strategically re-branded as METFARTIN to give potential users some clues.
That's enough non-academic advice from me lol lol :wacky:

A

Avocado Sevenfold

In the interest of balance and not to completely terrify the newbies....

I take metformin and have had zero negative side effects :)

Reactions: 6 people

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Avocado you should be a BBC journo if you're not already one lol...good counter

Reactions: 2 people
A

Avocado Sevenfold

Avocado you should be a BBC journo if you're not already one lol...good counter
Hehe.

I often wonder about the bad belly/bum side effects. When I started taking it I had already been low carb for a month. Perhaps when people change their diet plus start taking metformin at the same time, it is too much for the body to take in one hit. Dunno. Maybe I was just very lucky. I wonder though. Anyone got any theories?

eddie1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Avocado, depends on the doses methinks, 500mg once daily might be ok for most but DN's just love ramping the dosage up to max then the side effects are more prominent.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It is the same with any drug. They all have side effects. Not everyone gets them.

Reactions: 5 people

ricardoharrison

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rascism / Fascism / Negativity
I'm on 2000mg (4 tabs a day) at the moment and never had a side effect. I'm sooooo lucky my doc on prescription basically said "you will get the squits......."

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Did any of you get a weird almost metallic taste in the mouth from metformin.
I did.
Affected every mouthful of food or drink, and was present 24/7.
Unbearable.

JohnD54

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rice
I've been lucky then, again no side effects at all, but refused to go up to maximum of 4 x 500 per day only on 2, and with luck off those in September , fingers crossed

A

Avocado Sevenfold

Did any of you get a weird almost metallic taste in the mouth from metformin.
I did.
Affected every mouthful of food or drink, and was present 24/7.
Unbearable.
I didn't get that from met, but I used to get a metallic taste from fake sugar.

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The SR version gave me bleeding gastritis. I sometimes wonder if the normal version would have been better, but not curious enough to want to repeat the experience.

notned

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, cirrhosis, lymphoma, acronyms, green celery (because it's lazy), those computer programs that nag you night after night to download them and then, when you do, present reams of conditions and threats for you to accept before they'll run. DVDs that start with 5 minutes of threats - if I'd pirated it, then I'd surely leave those out.
Sounds to me like Metformin doesn't actually make you live longer - it just feels like it...

J.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hehe.

I often wonder about the bad belly/bum side effects. When I started taking it I had already been low carb for a month. Perhaps when people change their diet plus start taking metformin at the same time, it is too much for the body to take in one hit. Dunno. Maybe I was just very lucky. I wonder though. Anyone got any theories?

I am now on maximum dose and have tolerated it without any side effects. Both my pharmacist and DN seemed pleasantly surprised. By the time I was on 4 tabs a day I was also low carbing. My theory is that the gradual increase to max dose, coupled with the low carbing, aided my tolerance.

I also had no effects from the transition to LCHF. No carb cravings or carb flu. Perhaps I just have a cast iron digestive system!

I am grateful to have had such a smooth time of things though, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I also think that a positive attitude helps. I didn't look for problems or anticipate any. I just saw both the medication and LCHF as a lifeline and was determined both should work.

mine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
according to doctors. diabetics with renal failure will not be prescribe metformin as its taxing for kidney.

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Me, I'm not type 2, but I am hugely interested who actually funded this research.

To be honest, nowadays I never believe any research details reported in the press. There just seems to be so many flaws in tbe research ie.. Do people have high carbs, low carbs, over or under weight etc.

I give blood to research at QE2 hospital each year and I know they have never asked me what diet programme that I follow. I could be living and donating blood for the rest of my life, but until they actually ask about my diet I will never believe in research as being true.

Loving life