1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Live longer with metformin??

Discussion in 'Type 2 Diabetes' started by donnellysdogs, Aug 8, 2014.

1. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Article in todays daily telegraph - Cardiff University done research study and now reckon that metformin users live longer than those living without drugs....

Or could it be because when you are on metformin that people see themselves differentally and try to do something about their health? I take it they must have had placebo's as well?

Loving life

2. mine

mine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

interesting. look whos funding this studies

• Like Like x 2
  3. donnellysdogs

Yep, that will be interesting.... Have been looking... Can't find info??

Loving life

4. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

5. donnellysdogs

Never saw that thread.. Thankyou.

Loving life

6. eddie1968

eddie1968 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Well here's a report from The University of Life -
    Metformin is cheap as chips to prescribe (bean-counters at the NHS love this fact).
    Metformin has got loads of nasty side-effects (mainly GI symtoms) but it can cause metabolic acidosis and you're likely to pop-off in an ICU Unit.
    Metformin gave me the skitters and nearly killed me as I have had half my colon removed.
    Metormin should be strategically re-branded as METFARTIN to give potential users some clues.
    That's enough non-academic advice from me lol lol :wacky:

7. In the interest of balance and not to completely terrify the newbies....

I take metformin and have had zero negative side effects :)

• Like Like x 6
  8. eddie1968

Avocado you should be a BBC journo if you're not already one lol...good counter

• Like Like x 2
  9. Hehe.

I often wonder about the bad belly/bum side effects. When I started taking it I had already been low carb for a month. Perhaps when people change their diet plus start taking metformin at the same time, it is too much for the body to take in one hit. Dunno. Maybe I was just very lucky. I wonder though. Anyone got any theories?

• Like Like x 2
  10. eddie1968

Avocado, depends on the doses methinks, 500mg once daily might be ok for most but DN's just love ramping the dosage up to max then the side effects are more prominent.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Bluetit1802

Bluetit1802 Type 2 (in remission!) · Guru

It is the same with any drug. They all have side effects. Not everyone gets them.

• Like Like x 5
  12. ricardoharrison

ricardoharrison Type 2 · Active Member

I'm on 2000mg (4 tabs a day) at the moment and never had a side effect. I'm sooooo lucky my doc on prescription basically said "you will get the squits......."

13. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Moderator
    Staff Member

Did any of you get a weird almost metallic taste in the mouth from metformin.
    I did.
    Affected every mouthful of food or drink, and was present 24/7.
    Unbearable.

14. JohnD54

JohnD54 Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I've been lucky then, again no side effects at all, but refused to go up to maximum of 4 x 500 per day only on 2, and with luck off those in September , fingers crossed

15. I didn't get that from met, but I used to get a metallic taste from fake sugar.

16. Indy51

Indy51 Type 2 · Expert

The SR version gave me bleeding gastritis. I sometimes wonder if the normal version would have been better, but not curious enough to want to repeat the experience.

17. notned

notned Type 2 · Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like Metformin doesn't actually make you live longer - it just feels like it...

J.

• Like Like x 2
  18. poshtotty

poshtotty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

I am now on maximum dose and have tolerated it without any side effects. Both my pharmacist and DN seemed pleasantly surprised. By the time I was on 4 tabs a day I was also low carbing. My theory is that the gradual increase to max dose, coupled with the low carbing, aided my tolerance.

I also had no effects from the transition to LCHF. No carb cravings or carb flu. Perhaps I just have a cast iron digestive system!

I am grateful to have had such a smooth time of things though, and I'm sure I'm not alone. I also think that a positive attitude helps. I didn't look for problems or anticipate any. I just saw both the medication and LCHF as a lifeline and was determined both should work.

• Like Like x 2
  19. mine

mine Type 2 · Well-Known Member

according to doctors. diabetics with renal failure will not be prescribe metformin as its taxing for kidney.

20. donnellysdogs

Me, I'm not type 2, but I am hugely interested who actually funded this research.

To be honest, nowadays I never believe any research details reported in the press. There just seems to be so many flaws in tbe research ie.. Do people have high carbs, low carbs, over or under weight etc.

I give blood to research at QE2 hospital each year and I know they have never asked me what diet programme that I follow. I could be living and donating blood for the rest of my life, but until they actually ask about my diet I will never believe in research as being true.

Loving life

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook