Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've only had one heated exchange problem with one person here about lchf and that was noblehead who thought it was zero carbs, go figure...

Strange I don't recall us ever having a heated exchange Jack. No one could possibly follow a zero carb diet and stay healthy for very long, so I'm perplexed as to why you thought that I thought LCHF was zero carbs.

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Reading your posts it's obvious that you have reduced your calories and in so doing reduced your carbs, so I don't understand how low carb didn't work for you

Fair enough, it's part of my journey.
I reduced my calories, by reducing fat to zero initially. Or as close to zero as was possible.
So calories of 800 to 1200, eating to my meter.

Low GI, things like fruit, veg, pulses, salad, anything that didn't spike me.
I lost the weight I wanted to, and now need more to eat to maintain my weight.
Nowhere near the excesses of previously, so in that sense I have reduced my carbs, but also my protein and fat.
Now, it's low fat, good protein, and limited variety of carbs. I'll still eat carbs I'm good with, but that includes some white bread now, if I need to.
Tbh, it includes anything now, if I need to.
If I know it's bad, I'll eat the calories I need, if I'm exercising afterwards.
Or go hungry, if I don't eat.

My biggest problem was when I did try low carb. I found my BS rose higher than I liked when I did eat carbs like beans, wraps, sandwiches, bananas, apples, 'convenience' food, if you like. And saying as I don't choose to spend my time restricted on diet, I introduced carbs back in. For me, my stability is better that way.

It worked for me, but I am normally low GI where possible, and anything when not, and eat around 2000 to 2500 calories a day on a normal day.

Reactions: 2 people
A

AnnieC

no at annie

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
I don't know where you get the idea I am a LCHF hater because I'm not my diet is a mixture of low carbs and low fat I do not eat most high fat food simply because I do not like them.. is that not allowed can we not customise it to suit ourself... if that makes me a LCHF hater then so be it

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So you cut food, lost weight and ate and now eat to your meter. Low fat diets work and if your meter is ok on the 2000-2500 you do eat. There is no problem.
You may even have found you can eat more carb now without the meter spiking after losing weight

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So you cut food, lost weight and ate and now eat to your meter. Low fat diets work and if your meter is ok on the 2000-2500 you do eat. There is no problem.
You may even have found you can eat more carb now without the meter spiking after losing weight
That's about it. I lost 30kg in all, which was about 1/4 of my body weight.
I didn't like the look, so I put about 3kg back on.
The difference really is the ability to actually do things I want to. I didn't realise how much the extra weight was holding me back, until it had gone.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've got 40kg to lose, so far I've got rid of 10kg, I'm on 1500 metformin and eat to my meter which is 30g carb max a meal now.
I don't normally eat that many as I want to get rid of my insulin resistance, so the lchf suits me for now.
I'm getting calories from fat to make up the loss of carb calories, but overall it's still calorie negative with normal protein intake

If I went low fat, I would have to take more meds to eat more carbs

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
It's getting there, a before, during, and after shot.
Still need the carpets down though. 17.jpeg PICT0035.JPGDSC_0399.jpg DSC_0555.jpg

A

AnnieC

well i felt it to be an attack, as you are so anti low carb im not surprised you didnt, your posted you removed due to no responses regarding the low fat diets recently wasnt an attack, it was a positive post and its a shame no one replied, i love hearing success stories regardless of method, but you, douglas and a few others seem to have a hatred for low carbing, its like a quest to rubbish the whole idea, i dont get it, sit here and tell me honestly you dont hate lchf and are irritated by it, for why? its demented, i hate lo fat diets because everyone i know has and is doing one with dire consequenses so yes indeed i think its a terrible thing, lchf isnt for everyone i agree and thats fine, tell me how great low fat is, and ill carry on banging my drum, who knows someone may even be helped along the way by one of us, the evidense is overwhelmingly on the side of lchf as far as i see it

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
As I said in another post to you I don't hate LCHF I customise it to suit me and that is all the matters to me. ...I have certainly never said I hate it or rubbished it

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I said in another post to you I don't hate LCHF I customise it to suit me and that is all the matters to me. ...I have certainly never said I hate it or rubbished it
But you have Annie. You have said we shouldn't keep pushing it just because it suits so many of us. It's the only thing that has helped me so that's what I used to tell new members to the forum. I can't tell them about diets I don't have faith in. I don't bother any more though.

Reactions: 10 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Just putting my feet up for the night. Dinner was another burger, brisket and pulled beef, with a salad, and pushed the boat out with a bit of low fat coleslaw, and a few chilli stuffed olives.
6.2 before food, 6.9 one hour after, even with the can of Coors Light.
I think I can mange another one later.

The only problem I really have here is that all the local pubs do real ale, all within walking distance, one even boasted they have 14 different ales from a range of micro breweries. Too wet and windy for a walk out though. :(

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@douglas99 well done on your weight loss and control. I am glad that you have a diet that you have found suits your life style and body; that is all everyone is trying to do.

From what I have read your diet now and weight lose journey is much the same as mine. I will say this though; at diagnosis I reduced carbs down to between 60g and 90g per day (didn't really know what I was doing) and didn't increase fat. The reduced carbs worked in that with the reduced calories as well I rapidly achieved control (aka newcastle). [wonder what would happen with High Carb low Calorie - would it work as well?]

So low carb works, High Fat isn't for everyone so how low people go is a personal threshold. I am still doing about 150g/day (well I was until I injured my legs and haven't been able to exercise so have cut the calories by cutting the carbs).

I do not understand animosity towards any diet. I listen to all, as one day I may need to change my approach, so need to be armed with every piece of information I can get hold of.

Well that's my two penneth
Ever the Diplomat
A

Reactions: 10 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I can only speak for myself. Initially my diet was 800 to 1200 calories, minimal fat, some protein. So on ratio, out of the 200g of food that made up the carbs and protein, based on the fact most food was veg or salad, it would by definition a high carb, high fibre. Based on quantity, it was low everything. I put some fat back in when I wanted to maintain my weight, and generally upped the portion sizes. It worked for me, I didn't try to label it, I just ate it and I'm reporting back now.

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I can only speak for myself. Initially my diet was 800 to 1200 calories, minimal fat, some protein. So on ratio, out of the 200g of food that made up the carbs and protein, based on the fact most food was veg or salad, it would by definition a high carb, high fibre. Based on quantity, it was low everything. I put some fat back in when I wanted to maintain my weight, and generally upped the portion sizes. It worked for me, I didn't try to label it, I just ate it and I'm reporting back now.
That sounds exactly like me except I got to a certain amount of fat and went more carb to see where I could take it. Didn't find a limit but have gone back down to 150g as I seem happy there. It allows me to have an occasional bread and butter pudding at a restaurant (or eat the occasional pound of peanuts uncontrollably again and again :banghead:) but not so silly that I am having to do hours of exercise just to keep my body happy when I do indulge. Even more importantly I find that when I do do an hour on the bike and burn 1000 kcal my bloods stay around the 4.8 to 5.2 no matter the intensity. Stability brings variation in routine.

Keep at it and keep it up :)

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
Well, an update after a long while.

Probably more of a blog to cover the story so far really.

I’m still here, and still definitely not on the LCHF. I hopefully will never need to be.

I hit my target BMI of 25 around Easter this year, by counting calories, and avoiding fat and the wrong carbs. So, after being diagnosed, it would be good to say I’m twice the man I used to be, but I’m actually three quarters the man I used to be. 4 stone down from the 16 to 12.

Not too difficult until the last 7 pounds, when I seemed to stall until I made a real push at counting the calories, and reducing them down further.

Then, I thought I looked too thin, so allowed my weight back up by the 7 pounds I just lost.

But I then tried low carbs as a variation on the calorie counting, which was a complete disaster as a lifestyle choice.

I found I very quickly lost most of my ability to cope with any change in diet that took carbs up even by a small amount. It was almost as if I stopped producing insulin, and then had to take time to turn it back on. Bloods all over the show.

So, unless I spent my life being a slave to carb counting, and panicking at the sight of a piece of white toast, it simply wasn’t to be. I couldn’t see any point in letting diabetes ruin my life this way either. I want to be normal. Well, as normal as possible.

It also wasn’t helped by the hobby I’d taken up, - scuba diving.

Fitting diabetes in was fine, but with others that ate anything you could cook with a kettle, it wasn’t easy.

So, a diet of Pot Noodle, Instant porridge, cup a soup, toast, maybe fruit, or fish or burger, and chips, if the van by the quayside was open wouldn’t work if my pancreas was permanently asleep until a week next Tuesday.

So, back onto a diet that provided some exercise for my pancreas as well taking care of the rest of me, and one that didn’t induce panic at the thought of white flour by the thimbleful.

Also my ongoing house restoration meant times without a fridge, or more than a one ring cooker, and a kettle. So, tins and dried food were the order of the day, and veg that wouldn’t go off overnight. It also meant I was away from home, and importantly, away from the gym. Exercise is also on the backburner until I finish in the autumn.

So, basically I’m still on the calorie counting, healthy(ish) balanced diet, but maybe accepting it was balanced over an extended period at times. (And a lot higher calories now, then when I was trying to lose weight)

This regime was supported by my GP, and a lot of blood tests to keep on top of the diabetes, and my ongoing response to it.

I’m mainly between 5 and 6 in the morning and a good steady 5.3 to 5.4 HBA1c for the past year. Tested every three months, as my meds have been gradually reduced to one 500mg Metformin and one 50mg Sitagliptin as my control improved.

I took to testing myself about 30 mins and again 2 hours after food, and I’m normally a maximum of 8 after most ‘bad’ foods, although I did hit a ten after a (very) sweet and sour soup, and a caramel fudge cornetto. Normally lower though.

Today I’m 5.8 after (a lot) of pizza and muffins. White flour, almond flour, soya flour, chickpea flour, in varying amounts in the mix. (Birthday, so again, the diets a bit on the backburner)

And so onto my latest test.

A HBA1C of 5.4 this week.

But, it was after my last reduction in medication, and coming near enough completely off my diet.

So, a ‘warts and all’ test.

The worst possible scenario for me.

Mainly due to a two week holiday in the Mediterranean. A program of deep dives to 100ft, night dives, a lot of pasta, crisps, ice cream, beer, wine, but then also still interspersed with ‘healthy food’, with salads, local sausage, cheese, white bread, but now in a reasonable amount, not the loaf I used to eat. But not entirely counting the calories as I normally do.

Preceded by a weekend diving in France, with the customary French bread, cheese, pate, and other bad stuff.

So, a really ‘heavy’ carbs diet, ‘junk’ food, and the last holiday until Saturday, then the blood test Monday.

And still 5.4 HBA1C, with a fasting level of 6.5. Sunday still counted as the holiday to me, so a bit higher than normal and also taken fairly late on in the morning, after a bit of work, so consider a liver dump in that, and from a well primed liver. Certainly not a figure I massaged to look good anyway.

But onto the downside as well.

I stopped the statins three months ago.

I have increased across the board, so I’ve been back in today to discuss it.

Trigs up from 0.6 to 1.6

HDL steady at 1.6

LDL 3.4 to 5.1

I stopped due to shoulder pains, not helped by the colder dry suit dives in the uk.

Maybe statins, maybe not, but the diving is more important.

But, today I agreed to go back on, and switched from Simvastatins to Atorvastatins, but half the dose.

So, we’ll see how it goes.

But, would I swop a ‘normal’ diet, drinking, eating when I want to, not worrying about what I eat so long as I’m sensible, keeping my bloods down to normal, enjoying diving, jetskiing, visiting the waterpark, for anything else?

No!

I’m not going to be a slave to diabetes, in any form.

I’m now advanced open water qualified, dry suit qualified, nitrox qualified, I have regular annual medicals that show I have absolutely zero diabetes complications, or any other health problem, and blood sugar levels well in the normal range. I can eat to enjoy, and keep levels well down, or if I need to alternatively just to stay alive, on whatever is available, without worrying my body can’t cope.

I would never have done these sports before, I was too fat and out of condition. I wouldn’t have jetskied, I wouldn’t have got to the top slide in a waterpark, I wouldn’t have survived the Mediterranean at +30c for two weeks.

So diabetes? Maybe not the best thing that happened to me, but certainly now the best result in my life.

I figure I have the support of my GP, they want regular three month blood tests to ensure I’m keeping control, so by November, I want my cholesterol back into the good numbers, then I’ll look at reducing my Sitagliptin down to zero.

And as to LCHF, I’m afraid, not for me. A sensible diet yes, I now need to fine tune it still to bring my cholesterol down again, but it still needs to be one that lets me live the life I want to, and not just replace one restriction with another set that limits my opportunities.
And after I finish this next house, it's time to semi retire, and live off the income, so even more overseas travel and diving, and grabbing food where I can.
I think more fresh veg, meat, is in order, but for me, relaxing over what I eat is the key.

What a journey, Douglas. You've kept at it and it has worked. A tip that I can offer is to do your best to steer clear of PROCESSED food, then you will automatically eat the right stuff if most of what you eat hasn't been too processed. It makes a lot of sense, but doesn't mean that you shouldn't dabble with processed food sometimes, 'cos some of it is very nice.

Russ

forge

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I cannot have HF because as another poster reminded me (I had forgotten) I do not have a gall bladder (the storage is used to break down fat overloads) my gall bladder had 2 stones in it and they filled the whole thing and killed it (gangrenous). I had a pacemaker inserted early this year and I had all the heart tests and family history examined and I got some stern warnings re my chances of hardened arteries (build up of plaque (which killed my brother). I also get gout and gout sufferers have it all the time but diet sends it over the top and it start to crystalise. When a crystal forms or lodges in a joint it agravates the joint and the joint tries to lubricate the joint with fluid (swelling and heat).and of course pain, I was also getting low on potassium, and trending lower towards danger levels.

Those are my diet considerations that I know about re. my bod and that list does not even include diabetes.

So I strongly suggest that before going on any radical diet we should all seek medical advice.

Apart from that I do not have an issue with HF, but what puzzles me is why anyone would choose eating extra grease when extra veg will do the job. The only thing knowing about the LCHF has done for me is made me a bit slacker with grease in my diet which might end being my downfall like my brother.

Re weight loss my medical advice is slower is better because we have a better chance of keeping it off..

Re carb tolerance my medical advice is it gets better with weight loss and then I should increase my carbs..

Unlike a lot of posters in here, I value my medical advice and I pay for it, it is not part of a free service.

A

AnnieC

But you have Annie. You have said we shouldn't keep pushing it just because it suits so many of us. It's the only thing that has helped me so that's what I used to tell new members to the forum. I can't tell them about diets I don't have faith in. I don't bother any more though.
But that is far from saying

Yes I probably have said that because it is true it is pushed on here as the only suitable diet but thats not saying I hate it personally I have customised it to suit me as I imagine everyone does if they choose to do it
Unlike many people here though I also think about the people it does not suit People come here for diet advice but are never told there are options to LCHF and that there are other diets to be considered if they can't or don't want to do LCHF for whatever reason.. medical conditions etc
You have to be brave like Douglas on this forum to say you eat any other way but LCHF because you only get knocked back about it and told you hate LCHF and are discouraging people from doing it. Is that the way a forum should be totally biased to one diet only no I don't think it should be

Reactions: 6 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Interestingly, I was just reading @Pipp thread.
I can see similar results, although I won't claim to be 'post-diabetic' I have certainly had a great improvement with my BS and carb tolerance.

I haven't pushed it though, but fish and chips, (with the batter) cornetto, caramel magnum, have all been tolerated, and seem not to take my much over my self-imposed limit of 8. Not all at once though.

As to 'what is a normal number', that's another question.
I took the liberty of testing most of my family, some reading from them were over 8, so it's not an easy question to answer.

I don't seem to need carbs to excess, if I do eat them, I can put them down, maybe that's the result of the regime of 'portion control' as a nagging voice tells me to stop, no matter what food it is, and if I'm still hungry I distract myself.

As @Russ says, unprocessed food in the way to go, keep the additives out.

Fasting this morning was 5.7, so the salads seen to be working again, and the scales are going the right way.

As a long term plan, particularly after reading the other thread, I think I will have a trial of the Newcastle diet in November, and see if I can improve my tolerance to carbs even more. So thanks to @Pipp for posting that.
I'll have a chat to my doctor, they are supportive, and see what they can offer me.
(The only downside is I may turn into a skeleton, so it could be a shortened version)
Coffee break over, back to more work!

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
But that is far from saying
Yes I probably have said that because it is true it is pushed on here as the only suitable diet but thats not saying I hate it personally I have customised it to suit me as I imagine everyone does if they choose to do it
Unlike many people here though I also think about the people it does not suit People come here for diet advice but are never told there are options to LCHF and that there are other diets to be considered if they can't or don't want to do LCHF for whatever reason.. medical conditions etc
You have to be brave like Douglas on this forum to say you eat any other way but LCHF because you only get knocked back about it and told you hate LCHF and are discouraging people from doing it. Is that the way a forum should be totally biased to one diet only no I don't think it should be

No of course that's not the way a forum should be Annie, but I also feel I have to be brave to mention LCHF! I am not brave enough to answer new members questions now. That can't be right either. I havn't noticed people jumping in with advice about other diets though and although I follow LCHF because it's the only thing that has worked for me, I hate it because I'm not fond of protein without 'white carbs'. So if anyone really has a decent alternative diet that will help me lose weight and keep my BG's down I would love to hear it.

Reactions: 8 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I cannot have HF because as another poster reminded me (I had forgotten) I do not have a gall bladder (the storage is used to break down fat overloads) my gall bladder had 2 stones in it and they filled the whole thing and killed it (gangrenous). I had a pacemaker inserted early this year and I had all the heart tests and family history examined and I got some stern warnings re my chances of hardened arteries (build up of plaque (which killed my brother). I also get gout and gout sufferers have it all the time but diet sends it over the top and it start to crystalise. When a crystal forms or lodges in a joint it agravates the joint and the joint tries to lubricate the joint with fluid (swelling and heat).and of course pain, I was also getting low on potassium, and trending lower towards danger levels.

Those are my diet considerations that I know about re. my bod and that list does not even include diabetes.

So I strongly suggest that before going on any radical diet we should all seek medical advice.

Apart from that I do not have an issue with HF, but what puzzles me is why anyone would choose eating extra grease when extra veg will do the job. The only thing knowing about the LCHF has done for me is made me a bit slacker with grease in my diet which might end being my downfall like my brother.

Re weight loss my medical advice is slower is better because we have a better chance of keeping it off..

Re carb tolerance my medical advice is it gets better with weight loss and then I should increase my carbs..

Unlike a lot of posters in here, I value my medical advice and I pay for it, it is not part of a free service.
You can get bile salts to substitute
You can't be high carb and high fat, it will kill you, so go easy on the grease

For fun google lchf stuff about fat deposits and lipids
Statins are good for you too and even low doses for vascular inflammation

Reactions: 3 people
Status
Not open for further replies.