Low carb didn't work for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alice233

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If you are eating less Carb, you will lose weight. It is important to keep your blood sugar within the normal range to avoid any complication.

Reactions: 4 people

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You sound as if you are having a great time and have balanced your quality of life and your diabetes.

And just to show that we are all different , I love the water but I really hated the one time I tried scuba diving.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@douglas99 - Thanks for the update. It sounds like you're moving quickly into a place you want to be with your life. Vis-a-vis your eating regime, I feel it's important to have a variety of posters, utilising a variety of methods to control their condition. My own approach being a hybrid, bit of everything, I fit all camps and no camps at the same time. :)

Enjoy your diving. Personally, I have done almost all my diving in tropical waters, and find no attraction whatsoever in dry suit driving. Where we have been diving for the last 5 years, a shorty wetsuit is only really worn to prevent the BCD and any other paraphernalia chafing. I have also snorkelled in depths of almost 100ft, with the water so clear, it felt like one could stretch out and touch the bottom.

Life could be so much worse.

sanguine

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Intolerance, career politicians, reality TV and so-called celebrity culture, mobile phones in the quiet carriage.
Very well done for finding a management solution that works for you.

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@douglas99 - Thanks for the update. It sounds like you're moving quickly into a place you want to be with your life. Vis-a-vis your eating regime, I feel it's important to have a variety of posters, utilising a variety of methods to control their condition. My own approach being a hybrid, bit of everything, I fit all camps and no camps at the same time. :)

Enjoy your diving. Personally, I have done almost all my diving in tropical waters, and find no attraction whatsoever in dry suit driving. Where we have been diving for the last 5 years, a shorty wetsuit is only really worn to prevent the BCD and any other paraphernalia chafing. I have also snorkelled in depths of almost 100ft, with the water so clear, it felt like one could stretch out and touch the bottom.

Life could be so much worse.
I agree @AndBreathe
Tropical waters: the current isn't too bad, no need for gloves, calm and warm water and the reefs amazing :) I miss it, plus boating/sailing in general :)

Reactions: 2 people

Bev18

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If only the fish weren't there. I have a panic attack if they come anywhere near me. Lost count the number of times I've fell of a lilo in a panic because i spotted a tiny fish. I tried scuba diving last year in the Dominican Republic I only managed about 6ft deep, the fish were huge, grey with yellow stripes, the coral was sharp and i couldn't go any further. yet eldest daughter went out to the deepest dive site and absolutely loved it. To get that far has taken me 25 years lol.

Its a fabulous hobby and i love watching them, as long as I'm not near them lol.

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
To be honest, I couldn't swim either, then I tried it, and realised I floated, mostly. As to swimming, it is encouraged to swim with just your feet, but you can also just use your arms. I hope you can have the chance to try a dive, even the once though.

Sorry for disappearing so fast last night, wasn't trying to be rude but my OH came out and told me off for not being in my pit, bless him he said if I really wanted to try he would find the pennies, I know he has been saving up for a new battery for his drill and he offered that, no I can't take it the battery is more important, and I still have my dreams.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Sorry for disappearing so fast last night, wasn't trying to be rude but my OH came out and told me off for not being in my pit, bless him he said if I really wanted to try he would find the pennies, I know he has been saving up for a new battery for his drill and he offered that, no I can't take it the battery is more important, and I still have my dreams.

Hopefully one day dreams can become reality.

As to other comments about being scared of fish, I know what you mean, my wife is, but I convinced her to try snorkelling, and she wasn't too bad. She didn't hang around when an enormous shoal swam all around me though.

I have another dive planned later in the year, with seals though, they're supposed to be friendly!

Back on the diet, (as much as I can be) until then though.

My cholesterol was always going to be the next thing I was going to target, after getting my BS under control, the house has now got a fridge, and a microwave, so I can get back onto the salads and fresh veg for a few weeks at least, and don't have the excuse for the beer anymore now I'm off holiday.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Interesting what you say about diving with type 1 diabetes as I did honestly think there was a blanket ban on this. Anyway well done on finding a diet that works for you and hope you get your house finished soon.

Reactions: 5 people

claymic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Gozo, but the next dive is planned to be Iceland, in the water at 5 or 6c, but then down to a geo-thermal vent, and in water at a tropical temperature!
Gozo Yay glad you liked it. I am from Malta so I spent many summer holidays in Gozo. There are some lovely beaches. And yes some gorgeous food too :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Interesting what you say about diving with type 1 diabetes as I did honestly think there was a blanket ban on this. Anyway well done on finding a diet that works for you and hope you get your house finished soon.

There used to be, but it's accepted as ok to dive now provided you have good control, and get a medical from a dive doctor.
I went with a few different schools recently, they didn't seem at at bothered. They took a copy of the medical for their records, they ddn't ask about anything, just told me to make sure I told them if I needed anything, and to let them know if I needed to eat at any time. I got the impression they know what they were talking about, and had seen a fair few people before.

As to the house, needs to be finished by September, it's a buy to let for one of my daughters, and her friends when they start uni.
(No free rides either, they're all paying rent)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I wondered what you have been doing and where you had gone. It's a long time since you disappeared, so welcome back from me.

I am pleased you have found a diet that works for you, and have managed to carve out a new lifestyle that you are obviously thoroughly enjoying. Best of both worlds there - weight loss and normal level BS plus a contented life style where diabetes doesn't rule the roost. Well done Douglas, and thank you for updating us. Good luck.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Gozo Yay glad you liked it. I am from Malta so I spent many summer holidays in Gozo. There are some lovely beaches. And yes some gorgeous food too :)

I agree about the beaches and the food!

Some sharp rocks though, we took to wearing dive boots on most of them.

Even the 'crowded' beachs like Mellieha Bay in Malta were good, (went jet skiing there) but if you wanted peace and quiet that's covered as well.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I have a plum tree.

We got home after a couple of weeks away, and have about 2 bucketful’s of plums that were ready to eat.

I fought the wasps for them, and I won, without any resort to any unpleasant stinging or use of pesticide. (They fought me for a few, mainly by enacting their version of 'James and the Giant Peach' I didn't want them that badly)

So no need to wash them, and as plums aren't too bad normally, I've been grazing on them all day.

Then I realised I really should think about cooking something this evening.

6.3 before eating. Obviously not working hard enough today.
That or a bucketful of plums.

And back on the 'healthy' food, so it's whatever is in the fridge and the cupboards that qualifies.

Mushrooms, pepper, onion, a tin of kidney beans and a tin of Fray Bentos Chili Con Carne. (It's either that or defrost a 2kg slab of mince)

So, lightly brown off the onions in a small amount of rice bran oil. Add the mushrooms and peppers, the kidney beans, and what looks amazingly like a tin of dog food, if you're not that fussy a dog.
Leave cooking in the hope it will improve visually.

(It did list meat as an ingredient, honestly).

A dash of hot sauce, (and a few more) as a chili can never be too hot.

It actually began to taste quite good, and did look less like dog food.

So, tested 30 mins after, 7.5. 1 hr after 7.4.

Getting back on track. :)

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I get a new hip in October.I swim twice a week its easy to move about in the water and I feel no pain,you dont have to swim walk in the water,Im trying to keep strength up for the opp.
All the best Douglas and enjoy.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I get a new hip in October.I swim twice a week its easy to move about in the water and I feel no pain,you dont have to swim walk in the water,Im trying to keep strength up for the opp.
All the best Douglas and enjoy.

I wish you all the best for the op. I have several friends who have had various joint replacements, and it's a new lease of life. I also think it's amazing how different water is to land. I may in fact be a bit of a coward really, if you scuba, rather than swim, you have your own air, so you can just bimble about underwater, and still breathe no matter how messy you get.

semiphonic

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Ignorant people, diabetes!
@douglas99 you were one of the first people to answer my first post (actually my first question, not my first post), your earlier posts often talked about your house and diving, I'm truly pleased that you are living your dream :)

You are proof, not that it was ever needed, that there is not a "one size fits all" answer to diabetes. I've moved on since my first 'real' post on this forum, and, while I choose to low carb I always advise people to do what is best for them.

Welcome back @douglas99 it's good to see you posting again :)

Reactions: 11 people
A

AnnieC

Just wo
Oh to be a tablet taker a roving I would go, but with the jabs I'm stuck , and my body cries no no no. My son love diving in egypt jealouse I am of both of you, to go where your dreams take you. lol
Wondered why you are stuck because of jabs

A

AnnieC

Hi Douglas good to see you back on here sounds like your life is really exciting now. You are proof that people should try different diets before they commit to one and not just opt for the LCHF straight away we need to experiment . You were one of a few here who did low fat and was not afraid to say so..I do low fat myself but it is not really talked about on here it is just dismissed as being bad
Continue to enjoy your life to the full Douglas

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Just wo

Wondered why you are stuck because of jabs

I'm stuck on jabs because of pre existing digestive problems and can't take the normal tabs as I'd end up spending more time in the loo than I do now.

Status
Not open for further replies.