Not open for further replies.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another reflection, after reading through a few more threads on here, and plodding slowly on in the house.
Because I have spent a lot of time working on the house renovation, I've been staying there while I did it.
(the joys of being self-employed)

Which meant I haven’t managed to get out to the gym.
I reckon this hasn't helped my BS, both in actual numbers, and stability.
So, I'm actually looking forward to September when I can get back in there, and get a bit more muscle tone back again.
Even a short session seems to react well.

Since starting tracking my BG at home, I think the thing that has amazed me most, is the impact of exercise.

Thank heavens we got a dog. :happy:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
well i felt it to be an attack, as you are so anti low carb im not surprised you didnt, your posted you removed due to no responses regarding the low fat diets recently wasnt an attack, it was a positive post and its a shame no one replied, i love hearing success stories regardless of method, but you, douglas and a few others seem to have a hatred for low carbing, its like a quest to rubbish the whole idea, i dont get it, sit here and tell me honestly you dont hate lchf and are irritated by it, for why? its demented, i hate lo fat diets because everyone i know has and is doing one with dire consequenses so yes indeed i think its a terrible thing, lchf isnt for everyone i agree and thats fine, tell me how great low fat is, and ill carry on banging my drum, who knows someone may even be helped along the way by one of us, the evidense is overwhelmingly on the side of lchf as far as i see it

No one has a hatred for low-carbing Andy and to suggest so is rather silly, I suspect that most members of this forum low-carb to some extent if they eat below the RDA.........including Douglas. To what level an individual chooses to eat carbs is a personal matter to them based on their own bg results and likes/dislikes of food.

There's no such thing as 'Anti's' (that idea was dreamed up by some a former member who were out to cause trouble and disruption on the forum )and I'm sure we are all happy to see other members manage their diabetes well.......no matter what their dietary preference is.

Reactions: 11 people

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
No one has a hatred for low-carbing Andy and to suggest so is rather silly, I suspect that most members of this forum low-carb to some extent if they eat below the RDA.........including Douglas. To what level an individual chooses to eat carbs is a personal matter to them based on their own bg results and likes/dislikes of food.

There's no such thing as 'Anti's' (that idea was dreamed up by some a former member who were out to cause trouble and disruption on the forum )and I'm sure we are all happy to see other members manage their diabetes well.......no matter what their dietary
preference is.

there are people here that are anti low carb, its very clear, so there are what i call antis, ive no idea what previous members said, i am silly but not blind

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

There's no such thing as 'Anti's' (that idea was dreamed up by some a former member who were out to cause trouble and disruption on the forum )and I'm sure we are all happy to see other members manage their diabetes well.......no matter what their dietary preference is.

Does calling people 'silly' usually help support your discussions?

I find it has the opposite effect, rather like pressing a great big red Self Destruct button.

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
there are people here that are anti low carb, its very clear, so there are what i call antis, ive no idea what previous members said, i am silly but not blind

Well if you want to go along with that belief then that's fine Andy :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Does calling people 'silly' usually help support your discussions?

I find it has the opposite effect, rather like pressing a great big red Self Destruct button.

The "anti low carb" remark was silly, didn't mention the person.

A

Avocado Sevenfold

I see I've rattled ‘Thick Eddie', no doubt he'll be spouting his usual tripe on why carbs can't be eaten by anyone without instant death.

The normal ‘once size fits all’ NHS doesn’t work Eddie, you eat your fat, you be happy!

Calling a fellow diabetic "thick" is not helpful and frankly such a post has no place on a family forum.

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The "anti low carb" remark was silly, didn't mention the person.

Doesn't matter. It appears (to me) as patronising and derogatory - with the automatic effect that everything that comes after is tainted in the same way. So even if the person has a valid argument, they weaken it.

C

catherinecherub

Personally I couldn't give a monkeys as to how people manage their diabetes and it is a shame that this thread is going down the usual route of them and us by some people who are posting.

Douglas does not have to get forum approval for his title to this thread and anyone who sees it as an attack seems to be missing the point. He is giving an account of his time off from the forum, his activities and his diet.

Buying into the word "anti" is so old hat and used to be used on this forum by people who no longer post or are banned. It was almost a cry to arms to defend their LC/HF diet as being the only sensible method of control and included things like. "You are with us or against us" which further inflamed the situation.

If this type of behaviour becomes the norm on here again then it will result in thread locking, personal attacks and people leaving the forum as it did before.
Do we want all that behaviour to start again? If you don't like what is being said and you cannot discuss it without resorting to upsetting posts then why not ignore it or thrash out your differences via the pm system.

Peace is a very hard thing to achieve in loads of situations but when it cannot be achieved on a forum that aims to support diabetics from all walks of life, with different needs and different approaches to diet then we have to ask ourselves why we are here.
We are all in this together aren't we or have I missed something?

Reactions: 9 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Doesn't matter. It appears (to me) as patronising and derogatory - with the automatic effect that everything that comes after is tainted in the same way. So even if the person has a valid argument, they weaken it.

Well that's not how it was intended:)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Since starting tracking my BG at home, I think the thing that has amazed me most, is the impact of exercise.

Thank heavens we got a dog. :happy:

It does make a difference for me certainly. I had a 200m sprint against my daughters19 year own boyfriend, 'old' indeed. (it was an even heat). Felt a bit shaky later, and I hadn't eaten for several hours, I tested my BS and it was 3.7.
I'm happy down to 5. I never go low normally, even with extended exercise.
The lack of regular exercise seems to have decreased my stability.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
It does make a difference for me certainly. I had a 200m sprint against my daughters19 year own boyfriend, 'old' indeed. (it was an even heat). Felt a bit shaky later, and I hadn't eaten for several hours, I tested my BS and it was 3.7.
I'm happy down to 5. I never go low normally, even with extended exercise.
The lack of regular exercise seems to have decreased my stability.

I'm a fairly sedentary person, and I'm never going to be sporty (for several reasons), but bursts of kettlebell swings, doggy walks, and bouncing up and down stairs really do wonders. :) Especially after that last wafer thin mint...

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I wish I was back on a warm beach.
It's wet, it's cold, I just changed the living room light fitting and realised I only have one bulb and it needs three.
PICT0308.JPG

A

AnnieC

i think the thread was supposed to turn into this, daft of me giving douglas what he wanted but heyho, i think debate is good and it gives me an opportunity to beat that drum

Why can't you just play nice and say you are glad that Douglas is having a nice life at the moment and managing his diabetes well why use it as an excuse as you said to beat your own drum. Most of us enjoyed reading what he had to say and did not put the interpretation on it that you did as it was not about whether LCHF low fat or any other diet was the better but just about what he was doing

Reactions: 6 people

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I wish I was back on a warm beach.
It's wet, it's cold, I just changed the living room light fitting and realised I only have one bulb and it needs three.
View attachment 6454

You should try being back after 9 months away Douglas.

No, really. You should try it. :D

Although, you'd probably hate the views.

Vista.jpg

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I've only had one heated exchange problem with one person here about lchf and that was noblehead who thought it was zero carbs, go figure...

Status
Not open for further replies.