Smoking

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I am interested to find out how many people with Diabetes smoke, I happened to take my mother to see my sister yesterday both of them smoke I do not...I found their smoke agrivated my eyes a little ...My brother has diabetes and smokes also and says he has no intention of stopping/ so am wondering if other people with diabetes smoke and have no affects from the habit??

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to smoke before diagnosis but I got diagnosed with COPD the same day, so I needed to give up smoking. However my partner was in the surgical ward at the royal Glamorgan hospital for 2 weeks and the amount of amputees she saw from diabetics smoking actually had her in shock. It really is not worth smoking if we still smoked whilst she was in hospital we wouldn't now as it was enough to make you want to give up smoking

Type 2 diagnosed 24/01/2013.
NovoRapid, Lantus, Victoza, Metformin (sr), Simvistatin

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i smoked my whole life but thankfully switched to e-cigs 4 months before diagnosis, i mostly say thankfully as i definitely would have given up at diagnosis and that could have tipped me over the edge, I would of course like to be e-cig free too one day but for now i am a happy vaper

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to smoke and wont lie and say I occasionally steal one from my friends if I am drinking..........

I am overweight slightly and I am on BP meds to protect my eyes, I have no doubt the smoking has contributed to the higher BP....

PatsyB

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
well acording to my brother smoking has not affected his BP or sugars but hey might be somhting he likes to believe...

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to smoke. I gave up 7+ years ago - put on 2 stone and got myself a diabetes diagnosis!!

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well acording to my brother smoking has not affected his BP or sugars but hey might be somhting he likes to believe...
He needs to worry about clogged arteries :eek: this builds up over years and combined with diabetes the risks are probably doubled.

I smoked for 35 years - gave up 7 years ago and thought I'd got away with it as I had no symptoms. But nope... I had a quadruple heart bypass last year.

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
my partner was in the surgical ward at the royal Glamorgan hospital for 2 weeks and the amount of amputees she saw from diabetics smoking actually had her in shock.

Smoking without being diabetic can lead to complications and amputations. One reason is that red blood cells carry carbon monoxide just as well as they carry oxygen. That's why you hear about people with faulty boilers dying of carbon monoxide poisoning.

A diabetic who does not smoke can have problems leading to amputation since the high sugar levels cause circulation problems.

A diabetic who smokes just has a double whammy and is that much more likely to end up in a hospital like the one mentioned above.

Reactions: 4 people

2131tom

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am interested to find out how many people with Diabetes smoke, I happened to take my mother to see my sister yesterday both of them smoke I do not...I found their smoke agrivated my eyes a little ....

I stopped smoking last May, a few months before my diagnosis, but I have found that my eyes are often a lot sorer now than they used to be before I was T2.

That's become so sudden and frequent that I've taken to using eye drops, which I'd never had to before, and I now keep a bottle at home and another in the fridge at work.

For me the drops work well but I'd just as happily not have the problem at all. I've mentioned it to the GP but it got rather lost in the welter of other symptoms at the time. I think I need to raise it again ...............

johnboy412000

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Arrogant and ignorant people.
I gave up smoking 19 months ago long before diabetes came along.2 of my mothers brothers were smokers and both were diabetic and eventually died from cancer.Not sure if the smoking affected their diabetes or not.
I gave up cos i was fedup of coughing constantly and also fedup of being skint all the time.Since then i have switched to using inhalators which workout much cheaper than fags and i still get that nicotine hit without the 4000 chemicals that are in fags.

Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
This way he can blaim the cigarettes for the gangrene when they start chopping off toes. Instead of the uncontrolled diabetes

Y3MBailey

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My mother smoked and growing up I always found it abnoxious even as a small child

These days I come into so little contact with smoke I really hate having to even walk past someone in the street or be behind another car smoking.

C

chris lowe

I gave up when the smoking ban came in. It also cut my alcohol intake as I used to go the pub next door (I know) every night as I didn't smoke in the house (husband sings in his band and gave up in about '74 when it started affecting his voice) so not only did I save a fortune on cigs, I also saved money on booze. Now I find that I hate sitting outside in cafes/pubs etc because the smoke always seems to blow my way. I did sneak a crafty cigar a couple of weeeks ago at the races when I won £20 on a horse, though the celebration was a bit premature - none of the other horses won. Ho hum!

C

chris lowe

Same here we hardly ever drink
Only thing is because I don't drink (much anyway) I always get to be the designited driver on nights out. My "drinkypoos" night is normally a Tuesday, feet up in front of the telly and a bottle of Canadian Club rye with a diet lemonade. Very few pubs seem to keep CC behind the bar

C

chris lowe

I stopped smoking last May, a few months before my diagnosis, but I have found that my eyes are often a lot sorer now than they used to be before I was T2.

That's become so sudden and frequent that I've taken to using eye drops, which I'd never had to before, and I now keep a bottle at home and another in the fridge at work.

For me the drops work well but I'd just as happily not have the problem at all. I've mentioned it to the GP but it got rather lost in the welter of other symptoms at the time. I think I need to raise it again ...............
Could it be the diabetes that's aggravating the eyes? Might be worth checking out with doc or diabetic nurse.

Twinks

I stopped smoking not long after a year after i was diagnosed been on my ecig for 10 months now nd slowly weenin ma self off it, the only problem my DN had with me was that i smoked but the fort of coping with diabetes and quitting smoking at the same time was too much! Glad iv stopped now though the smell of cigs turns my stomach

Aldebaran

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I haven't Janiept and I believe one of the reasons is because I'm occupied using the ecig instead of picking at food. I'm not searching for something to chew on and replace the cigarette, if that makes sense. I can pick it up and put it down throughout the day. E cigs definitely give you the feel of a smoke but without it being a normal cigarette.