Bread choices

Silver Hammer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Now that Liv Life bread is no longer available from Waitrose I have been looking around for alternatives. I have tried Vogel oat and wholemeal at 14g carbs per slice (limited to 1 slice) which tastes great, but is a bit high on carbs, but currently have settled on Hi Lo from Sainsburys at 5g per slice (so 2 slices at a time) which I recon are better tasting than the Liv Life. I have recently had a look at Sukrin bread mix, which would mean making my own, but 1g carbs per slice sounds amazing; but does it taste rubbish? I have also heard much about Burgen soya and linseed so may give this a try.
What is your "bread of choice" how would you rate it for taste and how much does it affect your BG?
Also if it had no adverse affect at all - which bread would you pig out on if you could (in your dreams now as we cannot wind the clock back now)?

Maxwell

Mushroom

A lot of diabetics seem to use Bergen. It's quite nice. You would need to test to see if it affects your blood sugars.
As someone on LCHF and eating no bread pasta etc after being a bread addict, I would suggest you move away from the bread fantasies! I don't crave it at all now but if I keep thinking about it, I would unfortunately be tempted to try and would be back to high blood sugars in no time.

cold ethyl

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Don't eat the Burgen at the minute ( trying to lose weight as well as stabilise my BS) but used to eat it and it is ok.
The Sukrin is vile. Made a loaf last week and binned it- even the very vile flaxseed bread I made was less vile. I have the occasional slice of pre-sliced rye/pumpernickel which is ok with scrambled eggs or open sandwich.
I miss bread in all its forms but it doesn't agree with me BS aside so my IBS is liking my abstinence.

Ambersilva

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I like the Hi Lo bread too. It has a small amount of carbs so one slice each day is easily coped with.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Try baking some Scandinavian Oopsie bread. Makes a lovely bacon sandwich or burger bun. Much easier and quicker to bake than normal bread. Less than 1g carb per slice.

Made from eggs and soft cheese. 10min to mix ingredients 25 min in oven. Delicious.

diadeb

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
bullies, racism, ridiculous political correctness
Maxwell, after deliberating about whether to buy the Sukrin bread mix because of the price I actually went for it and mistakenly bought the 1kg bag because it worked out cheaper. I also looked at the reviews on Amazon and they were mainly very positive.I baked it last night and it is as cold ethyl stated quite vile. It's greasy and tastes a little like weetabix (which I actually used to like) but as bread I suggest you save your money. Ah well £16 down the drain, you live and learn. I am now finished trying to find a low carb bread

Reactions: 2 people

macnorfolk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Try baking some Scandinavian Oopsie bread. Makes a lovely bacon sandwich or burger bun. Much easier and quicker to bake than normal bread. Less than 1g carb per slice.

Made from eggs and soft cheese. 10min to mix ingredients 25 min in oven. Delicious.

macnorfolk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Your bread sounds delicious. Could you please let me have the complete recipe including oven temperature and method.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Oopsie bread (6 slices).
3 eggs
100 grams (3.5 ounces) of cream /soft cheese
a pinch of salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
Separate the eggs, into two different bowls
Whip the egg whites together with the salt until very stiff.... Very stiff.... This is the only difficult bit.
In the other bowl Mix the egg yolks, baking powder and the cream cheese.
Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mix – try to keep the air in the egg whites.
Spoon 6 large oopsies on a buttered or grease proof paper baking tray.
Bake in the middle of the oven at 150° C (300° F) for about 25 minutes – until they turn golden.
You can eat Oopsies as bread or use them as a bun for a hotdog or hamburger. You can add seeds on the oopsies before baking eg. poppy, sesame or sunflower seeds.

Reactions: 4 people

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather

Would also like this recipe as I did buy Morrisons signature Sunflower seeded bread but they have stopped making it. 12g carbs a slice.

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Why are people so hung up on having bread? I can't eat wheat so I don't bother with bread. It is the biggest waste of carbs going. You just don't need it.

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Nothing like a bacon sandwich. And bacon in 1g carb oopsie bread makes a lovely bacon sandwich.

macnorfolk

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oopsie bread (6 slices).
3 eggs
100 grams (3.5 ounces) of cream /soft cheese
a pinch of salt
½ teaspoon baking powder
Separate the eggs, into two different bowls
Whip the egg whites together with the salt until very stiff.... Very stiff.... This is the only difficult bit.
In the other bowl Mix the egg yolks, baking powder and the cream cheese.
Gently fold the egg whites into the egg yolk mix – try to keep the air in the egg whites.
Spoon 6 large oopsies on a buttered or grease proof paper baking tray.
Bake in the middle of the oven at 150° C (300° F) for about 25 minutes – until they turn golden.
You can eat Oopsies as bread or use them as a bun for a hotdog or hamburger. You can add seeds on the oopsies before baking eg. poppy, sesame or sunflower seeds.
Thank you very much for the recipe I cannot wait to try it. I must say it looks very easy and I am sure it will be popular

Ian DP

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Chips
Has anyone made Ians bread yet. Can we have a photo???
Photo here of Oopsie bread bacon sandwich
ImageUploadedByDCUK Forum1409780908.586283.jpg

A

AnnieC

They look lovely what is the texture like recipe seems to suggest they are more like omlettes. I am going to give them a go

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sukrin is definitely expensive (special occasions only!), but I made my first loaf last week. It was neither vile nor greasy. Tiny slices, mind you. Had it with scrambled egg, and as toast with butter and marmite. Yum.

Even Mr B was happy with it. :wideyed:

The Sukrin cake we tried was less successful though. Too artificially sweetened. :(