New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Has anyone seen the price advertised anywhere?

Reactions: 4 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Not yet. I think its going to be released on the 15 September and will be available online.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great seeing it in action, the sensor isn't as big as I thought it would be, but my concern would be knocking it off all the time :( Hoping it becomes widely available as it does look good.

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Wow...yes please! Are these going to be available in prescription?

malhotrn

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello All,
I am new to this forum. My son was diagnosed with Type 1 about 6 months ago. I have learnt a lot from this forum, and wanted to thank you all.
Also, I came across this other bloodless testing device, which I thought I would share with you. It has been launched in many countries, and hope it comes to the UK soon. Pls check this out:
http://www.integrity-app.com/the-glucotrack/
Seems quite useful!

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The disc is so flat so its virtually impossible to knock off.
Wont be on prescription for a while. Sadly it will only be available online and we will have to pay for it until such time it gets approved on NHS.
I have a feeling that 2 discs are going to work out the same price as 200 strips which means the NHS may agree to them but i have no doubt that they will fund the meter.
I am DEFINATELY going to pay for mine until such time.

Last edited by a moderator:

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
is the scanner rechargeable/battery replaceable?

Sounds like this would be ideal for me on long rides/runs, to be able to get current readings and trends. Wouldn't necessarily need the full cost of 1 sensor every two weeks either depending on training patterns (although I'm sure after using it once, I'll be using for ever;))

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Guys just FYI not sure if you saw the warning at 3.15 in still need to do finger pricks for rapidly changing blood glucose levels. Looks interesting a midway between CGM and BG almost. I reserve judgement until i see it myself.

Reactions: 3 people

iHs

The disc is so flat so its virtually impossible to knock off.
Wont be on prescription for a while. Sadly it will only be available online and we will have to pay for it until such time it gets approved on NHS.
I have a feeling that 2 discs are going to work out the same price as 200 strips which means the NHS may agree to them but i have no doubt that they will fund the meter.
I am DEFINATELY going to pay for mine until such time.
200 strips at NHS prices works out at approx £60 or do you mean 200 strips at pharmacy price £100?

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
200 strips at NHS prices works out at approx £60 or do you mean 200 strips at pharmacy price £100?

I've seen prices of 150 for reciever and £50 per sensor not sure how accurate it is though.

iHs

£25 per week doesnt sound so bad if someone earns a substantial salary but for those who dont, the price might be considered too expensive and would mean economising on other things

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
£25 per week doesnt sound so bad if someone earns a substantial salary but for those who dont, the price might be considered too expensive and would mean economising on other things

Its only the same as a CGM and I would be interested to see if life could be extended before I invested.

iHs

I will tend to wait for feedback first......the proof of the pudding is in the eating.

Years ago Medtronic launched the Guardian as a standalone cgm and Abbott launched the Navigator. Both devices were very expensive and loads of diabetics got very excited at the chance to monitor bg levels in a different way. They both fell flat though and ended up being a tiny bit unreliable. Will just have to wait for the new Navigator technology to prove itself

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Just out of interest .. When you put the disk on .. Was it painful ? Also what is the disk attached with ? Is it a plaster like glue or suction effect.
Hope it works out well for you and look forward to seeing the price tag it will have when out on general sale.

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am interested in it, have been watching it's progression for a while.

Ideally I'd love a CGM but long term it's not affordable for us, so we have discussed getting for pregnancy and then occasional use thereafter. I'm hoping this may come in cheaper!

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Found this on the Diabetes UK site

It seems to be a cross between both, I have the prices. It only reads when you scan it so it won't alert highs or lows like a CGM would. But you can scan it as much as you like, no calibration required. I think the reader is guaranteed for 2 years, sensors last 14 days.
Starter pack (reader plus two sensors) £133.29 + VAT
Then £48.29 + VAT per sensor
Having diabetes we have VAT exemption on medical items
http://diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=48429

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Found this on the Diabetes UK site

It seems to be a cross between both, I have the prices. It only reads when you scan it so it won't alert highs or lows like a CGM would. But you can scan it as much as you like, no calibration required. I think the reader is guaranteed for 2 years, sensors last 14 days.
Starter pack (reader plus two sensors) £133.29 + VAT
Then £48.29 + VAT per sensor
Having diabetes we have VAT exemption on medical items
http://diabetessupport.co.uk/boards/showthread.php?t=48429

So looking more affordable than the current cgms on the market!