Low carb help!

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello this might sound a bit silly and perhaps it's self explanatory but what do you guys that are on a low carb diet eat? How does/has it helped you? Do you eat any carbs?

Am thinking of giving it a try :)
Thanks all x

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
have a read of atkins induction diet, recipes and food list, that's hard core LCHF and not many are that low in carb

have a read and watch the video here
http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

the "bad' stuff is grain and high starch veg, and a couple of other carby things.. everything else is a free for all :)..well almost.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Look in the low-carb food section of the forum for ideas, they'll be something in there that should get you started. Good luck!!!!

Reactions: 2 people

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
I've quit ... spuds rice pasta noodles bread.
90% quit.
I eat full fat yoghurt everyday now with berries and nuts that I add myself.
Has to be plain full yoghurt.
I make my own now and again too.
No breakfast cereals either.
Bullet proof coffee three mornings a week for breakfast with nothing else.
My weight started coming off straighht away.
Over the last six weeks I've seen on the scales my weight yoyoing like mad but slowly going in the right direction.
Once you see your weight going wildly up and down I think you're winning.
I have now for definite lost just over a stone in six weeks.
Snacking a lot more than I used to.
Pork scratchings assorted nuts.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmm ok thanks guys. Thanks jack412 for the link, I don't wanna go too extreme, sounds like you need 100% commitment and I know for a fact I cannot commit! Interesting ideas though

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
75% commitment is enough to see some impressive results back. :)

Reactions: 4 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
50% is better than a poke in the eye :)

once you know what it is, you do what suits you

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
Hmm ok thanks guys. Thanks jack412 for the link, I don't wanna go too extreme, sounds like you need 100% commitment and I know for a fact I cannot commit! Interesting ideas though
I don't see this as a diet but a permanent change.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well yeah I suppose it's not a competition! I will try 50% I think first see how I get on.

**** competitive side I have!

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It will be the best 50% effort you ever made. ;-)

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I am the same as Jack the lad but when I get down in weight I will add some carbs if I can.

It is easy with no carbs to count.

The trick I found is replacing some bakery products with coconut flour and almond flour and Xanthan Gum.

Potato with pumpkin and zucchini.

It is easy to do and my raging hunger has gone and so has my raging thirst.

It is all good tucker including sweets and deserts.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Cool :) I've used almond flour in baking but had no idea you could get coconut flour... Don't think I've even seen it anywhere lol!

If there are no carbs to count then how do you take insulin?

forge

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Getting old and everything that goes with it. All the repeats on TV. The drongos who ring me up to sell me things. Religious havens for pedophiles and war-mongers.
I was on 130 units insulin per day and within 1 week of going no major carbs I was off insulin completely and on 4 tabs.

Other than that a good routine provides the same demand for insulin. You do not have to get insulin perfect just within an acceptable range, so there is some latitude.

In Australia we have 2 major supermarkets and I buy from one of those. I also buy from a wholesaler in bulk.

This is an email I just sent to friends.

Mostly all I do is adapt recipes and you are better cooks than I am. ( I am very inexperienced)

I try to use what I have got and my lo carb flours are

Almond Meal
almond flour/meal it is just ground up almond kernels so it tastes a bit nutty so it is good to use when you want that taste. We have used it in Zucchini slice that has lots of egg to hold it together and they use it to make pastry crusty stuff instead of crushed biscuit etc. It is a bit coarse for a flour tho.

Coconut Flour
Coconut flour is tricky it is finer than almond meal but not as fine as wheat flour. It is ground up from what is left after they extract the oil and it sucks up huge amounts of water and increases its volume BIG MOBS. It tastes a little bit coconut-ty and a bit on the sweet and salty side. You need less coconut flour than wheat flour if you are converting recipes.

Both the above flours need some glue (no gluten) to this end I have tried; olive oil, eggs, grated cheese, gelatine, margarine, peanut butter, yoghurt, and Xanthan gum. When converting recipes I just pick one or two of these that I think might work.

3 flour mix is only 25% wheat
If you can handle a bit of wheat flour you might like to try a 3 flour mix. I use 1/3 of each flours, almond coconut and wheat and this has some gluten from the wheat to hold it together (just) but the wet volume ends up only 25% wheat flour ( 75 % reduction in wheat flour if you are worried about wheat) or (about 16% carbs instead of 80% carbs).

Xanthan gum is a bit of a mystery to use it is hard to get it in a recipe without lumps forming but I found out it is easiest to either add it to any oil first, or more difficult mix it in to the dry ingredients.

The rule of thumb is one teaspoon of gum per cup of flour, too much can give a slimy feel in the mouth but it has no taste.

Body
If you want some “filler” or body in a mix crushed peanut is good and so is desiccated coconut.

I adapted a peanut butter biscuit recipe
I used
2 Tsp marg
3 Tsp peanut butter
1 small tub yoghurt
melted in microwave and added
2 tsp Xanthan gum
1/2 cup almond meal
1 cup crushed peanuts
1 cup fake sugar for cooking
1 egg
vanilla
baking soda
enough coconut flour to make a doughy mix
I only mix with a spoon I have not graduated to electric mixers yet.

Bake at about 180 or 190 C a wet mix takes longer but 40 minutes is likely.

My no major carb diet is
No sugars of any type.
Nothing related to any grain no oats or wheat or rice (no grains.)
No potato or sweet potato (no starch)
Limited fruit definitely no grapes (sugar bags) or dried fruit.

Make the difference up with extra veg or nuts or beans but eat normal amounts of protein.

Coles have Xgum and coconut flour and almond meal.
You can buy bulk from TRUMPS at Rocklea Markets they will send you a price list. It is best to order by phone and you have to pick up between 10 and 12 on Thursday or Friday.

The coconut flour comes in 25 pound bags (11.3kg) for about $70 (save $150 on Coles prices) We also bought Almond flour 3 KG but the saving is not huge and cashews and crushed peanuts.

Tonight I made a trifle from tinned fruit, diet jelly, yoghurt, cake and custard. I made the custard from milk, X gum coconut flour vanilla and sweetener.

I make chutney from jam and Worcester Sauce and I made the jam from microwaved frozen mixed berries and sweetener.

Have fun experimental cooking, I do.

Feel free to forward this email. But don’t blame me if it causes dandruff or tinea or another form of death or destruction.

I made bread rolls with Xgum and coconut flour and wheat flour they were ok,

Cheers Col

PS
I use a pie maker for cakes and muffins and a flat sandwich press toaster as a hotplate/oven (cooks for both sides) and the real oven.

Some use a Ryvita biscuit but they are still a bit high in carbs.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ahh ok, I'm type 1 diabetic though so I can't come off of insulin??

Thanks for the links and email, I'll have a good look around, I'm in UK so I'm not sure if we have coconut flour lol :)

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I started a couple of years ago by leaving the carbs out of my evening meal and then worked my way down from there. The biggest incentive for me is better BG control.

As a T1 it has helped to go down in steps so I could adjust insulin accordingly. Basal requirements and carb ratios are very different if you go very low carb.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That's one if my incentives too, better BG control. I guess you'd still take insulin, well you'd have to as there are still carbs in fruit and veg and nuts etc but you'd be reducing your intake so not needing as much basal either?

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
On 30g carbs per day I'm taking 11 units basal and 10-12 units bolus. I was on about double that when full carbing.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
That's one if my incentives too, better BG control. I guess you'd still take insulin, well you'd have to as there are still carbs in fruit and veg and nuts etc but you'd be reducing your intake so not needing as much basal either?
when you are ready ask Robert because from what I remember he boluses for carbs and some protein. There is more on the net about TAG total available glucose, to allow for proteins and fats.