Lower carb diet and Fatty Liver Gone

Adelle0607

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got my ultrasound results, and I found that my liver has gone back to normal! I've done a low carb plant based Mediterranean diet getting my fats (moderate intake) from fish like salmon nuts and avocados. Ive cut down on grains and bread and not take any processed food. I've tried the balanced diet before with grains, green juice, yoga and it hasn't worked out, since I've had my diagnosis three years ago even despite being in the normal weight range and exercising. I'm used to seeing "fatty infiltrate" on my abdo ultrasound...now it's normal, Only the low carb diet has done this. And also my blood sugars and hba1c have been on the non diabetic range. Just wanted to share this news so that the ones who have had fatty liver like me would also get this information. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That's all great news @Adelle0607 . It sounds like you're in great shape.

I'm tagging @Susiespearish onto the thread as she voiced a desire to try a Med style lower carb way of eating the other day. I'm sure you don't mind?

Reactions: 6 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, well done!

Can I ask, how long were you on LC to see these results?

And is/was there any indication of how fatty your liver was, before you started low carbing?

I'm so pleased for you!

Reactions: 4 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, well done!

Can I ask, how long were you on LC to see these results?

And is/was there any indication of how fatty your liver was, before you started low carbing?

I'm so pleased for you!
Yes I'm interested in this too, since my own liver is vastly improved but still is fatty. Very well done Adelle!

Reactions: 4 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done Adell0607,
Your diet sounds very healthy and a pleasant way to enjoy your food .:):)
I saw this on Google:
"Plain old water! But, truly your body needs plenty of water to facilitate the breakdown of fat in your body."
Also green tea, lemon and lime with water helps cleanse the kidney.

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I just got my ultrasound results, and I found that my liver has gone back to normal! I've done a low carb plant based Mediterranean diet getting my fats (moderate intake) from fish like salmon nuts and avocados. Ive cut down on grains and bread and not take any processed food. I've tried the balanced diet before with grains, green juice, yoga and it hasn't worked out, since I've had my diagnosis three years ago even despite being in the normal weight range and exercising. I'm used to seeing "fatty infiltrate" on my abdo ultrasound...now it's normal, Only the low carb diet has done this. And also my blood sugars and hba1c have been on the non diabetic range. Just wanted to share this news so that the ones who have had fatty liver like me would also get this information. :)

Great! Well done! Keep telling people about it.

iHs

Well Done

Fatty liver disease isnt something to take lightly. What was the cause of it? You look fairly well in the avatar

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well Done

Fatty liver disease isnt something to take lightly. What was the cause of it? You look fairly well in the avatar
healthy plate, 5 serves of hi carbs a day. eat lots of grain/wheat flour.. the low fat high carb rubbish since the 1960/70's
once the corporate giants got hold of grain, grain oils and corn syrups in fenceless broad acre farming..that it now god
taxpayers subsidise grain farming, but nothing for veg farming

Last edited by a moderator:

Lesleywo

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
My addiction to carbs
Great to hear these stories ... keep 'em coming! :)

iHs

healthy plate, 5 serves of hi carbs a day. eat lots of grain/wheat flour.. the low fat high carb rubbish since the 1960/70's
once the corporate giants got hold of grain, grain oils and corn syrups in fenceless broad acre farming..that it now god
Another cause is alcohol...too much wine and other alcohols. Drug medication can also cause damage to the liver over the long term. Its not just about carb

bobrobert

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You can get fatty liver without drinking alcohol. An author of a book I read claims he has treated people for cirrhosis who hadn't drank but ate too much sugars. If you are over 50 and overweight it is common to get fatty liver.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Silly question, but I have to ask. How do you know if you have a fatty liver?
My last blood tests showed:
Total Bilirubin 6umol/L
ALT 30 IU/L
Alk Phos 127 IU/L
Albumin 44 g/L
which were all within the normal ranges, but which one is it that shows fatty liver?

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure what the ALT level should be. I think under 33 or under 35. Mine is 51 (down from a high of 159). I have a fatty liver. I don't know what the other tests mean