Bionic Pancreas - nearly here?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-28810813

Looks like a step further than the trials of closed loop CGM/pump combinations they've trialled at addenbrookes.

Needs a bit of miniaturisation though.

Seems a bit odd when you think about it how much technology goes into atrificial limbs of all kinds and the complex biomechanics involved, to think that the artificial pancreas is still "almost there".

Reactions: 4 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
The future has never looked so promising :)

Reactions: 2 people

alaska

I can see the addition of glucagon being beneficial to reverse hypos quickly but is it worth it for putting in an extra cannula? A low glucose suspend feature which is available on newer Medtronic pumps achieves a similar result, although suspension of insulin probably takes longer to restore normal glucose levels than infusion of glucagon. I think I'd rather have just the one cannula and slower hypo recovery if there was a choice.

Either way, it's really good to see a number of new solutions coming forwards for a working artificial pancreas.

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although this is a huge step in the right direction, I just don't think I'd want to wear it as it looks so big!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Although this is a huge step in the right direction, I just don't think I'd want to wear it as it looks so big!

We are somehow going to have to miniaturise it, ;) but wouldn't it be wonderful if it really came through :happy:

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It would be awesome! Being on injections for so long what a great relief not having to inject! Although I've got used to injecting so it's just the norm... Next stop will be an actual artificial pancreas with a bit of luck!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So, basically an insulin pump and a separate glucagon pump to counteract lows... Creating a sort of "smart insulin" regime?

This reminds me of the treatment used for kidney disease patients with dangerously high blood potasium levels used to bring it back under control...

smcc

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sounds a good idea but will require miniaturisation++++++. I hate to think how I would manage to work out in the gym or even carry out work in the garden while wearing all that paraphernalia.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Anyone remember the 1966 Sci fi film Fantastic voyage, with Donald Pleasance and Raquel Welch ?

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
id rather stick to MDI or my pod. I couldnt imagine all that tubing and having 2 devices attached could make your life easier! As it is, wearing a medtronic pump that was half the size was an absolute nightmare for me. Thank god for Omnipod. all i need now is the new freestyle libre where I dont have to carry out finger prick blood tests.

Reactions: 4 people

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Anyone remember the 1966 Sci fi film Fantastic voyage, with Donald Pleasance and Raquel Welch ?

Yep, there's talk of a "reboot" of this film with James Cameron...?
The 1987 film Innerspace was a similar concept...

Where are we heading with this... "Nanotechnology"??? ;)

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
id rather stick to MDI or my pod. I couldnt imagine all that tubing and having 2 devices attached could make your life easier! As it is, wearing a medtronic pump that was half the size was an absolute nightmare for me. Thank god for Omnipod. all i need now is the new freestyle libre where I dont have to carry out finger prick blood tests.

I'd have to agree with you... If one of those two cannulas or tubes went AWOL? You'd end up either going hypo or DKA..
Just risk assessing...!

H

Hooked

Sounds a good idea but will require miniaturisation++++++. I hate to think how I would manage to work out in the gym or even carry out work in the garden while wearing all that paraphernalia.
Yes, but remember the first insulin pumps they were working on filled a back pack. ;)

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I can see the addition of glucagon being beneficial to reverse hypos quickly but is it worth it for putting in an extra cannula? A low glucose suspend feature which is available on newer Medtronic pumps achieves a similar result,
I dunno, but I doubt that the scientists working on it are just gluing random parts together.

I'd have to agree with you... If one of those two cannulas or tubes went AWOL? You'd end up either going hypo or DKA..
You face the exact sme problem with a regular pump.