Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

Crimsonclient

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I would have never believed if but I did get the classic and until I heard it with my own ears I thought people were making this one up and that was " do you have the good sort or bad sort"

CarbsRok

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
pasta ice cream and chocolate
Using something else ? Like what ?
Well apparently they have another client who has type 1 because he was on insulin and has been put on to something else now :) Suspect it's someone who has type 2 and been moved onto one of the other injectable medications.

Last edited by a moderator:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Optician..... Are you still taking insulin
Me....... I have type 1 diabetes.
Optician......... But are you still taking insulin?
Me.............. Unless you are talking to a corpse then yes I am as type 1 diabetes has no cure.
Optician.............. Well you could be using something else so as a professional I have to ask. :eek:

Wow...............:rolleyes:

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Oh god lol a work colleague I've been trying to explain the procedure if I go low to, decided to tell me if I was to go low to the point of slurred speech etc basically a really bad low where I may need MEDICAL ASSISTANCE he would "slap me and tell me not to be stupid"...

I had 1 Bourbon biscuit with a cup of tea and another work colleague looked at me with utmost despair and loudly exclaimed "YOU CANT EAT THAT, YOU'LL DIE!"

Reactions: 12 people

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've been diagnosed type 1 at the age of 29. You don't know how many times I've heard "but can't you only get that as a kid?"! Grr.

Reactions: 2 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Oh god lol a work colleague I've been trying to explain the procedure if I go low to, decided to tell me if I was to go low to the point of slurred speech etc basically a really bad low where I may need MEDICAL ASSISTANCE he would "slap me and tell me not to be stupid"...

I had 1 Bourbon biscuit with a cup of tea and another work colleague looked at me with utmost despair and loudly exclaimed "YOU CANT EAT THAT, YOU'LL DIE!"

Blimey, don't fancy working with that lot :eek:

Seriously_Sax1989

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Lol ^^^ funny thing is most of the guys I work with have diabetes, but type 2 so you would like to think there was some knowledge of diabetes! *face palm*

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Two gems from the doctor I've been assigned to for my diabetes appointments: I was wanting advice on how I might reduce my somewhat higher than I wish for pre-meal readings, and he said "Oh it's all to do with eating sugar and carbohydrates..." and was a bit gobsmacked when I said I was actually eating a low carb diet, and had nothing useful to say. I was also trying (again) to get test strips on prescription, and had also printed out a graph of my last three months reading for him (which he did have a good look at) and he was adamant that "as a type 2 you don't need to test - but it's all right if you're doing it as a HOBBY!!!" :wideyed::banghead::banghead:

Robbity

PaulinaB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I work with a girl who is type 2 and has some very picky knowledge about diabetes. She knows it's carbs (not "sugar"), and that bread is generally bad, but she has no idea about difference between t1 and t2.
She asks me questions like "how's your diabetes?" (What am I supposed to say? "Not too bad, we watched a movie last night"?!)

She was recently talking about how she started going to the gym 3 times a week (she's very slim) and how that made her doc lower her meds. She tried to suggest that maybe if I started exercising my doc will switch me to pills instead of insulin 0_0

She's actually not a first person who has no idea what "type 1" means and thinks that If I exercise and diet I'll be off insulin... I never know what to say to those people :/

Reactions: 8 people

User4

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Two gems from the doctor I've been assigned to for my diabetes appointments: I was wanting advice on how I might reduce my somewhat higher than I wish for pre-meal readings, and he said "Oh it's all to do with eating sugar and carbohydrates..." and was a bit gobsmacked when I said I was actually eating a low carb diet, and had nothing useful to say. I was also trying (again) to get test strips on prescription, and had also printed out a graph of my last three months reading for him (which he did have a good look at) and he was adamant that "as a type 2 you don't need to test - but it's all right if you're doing it as a HOBBY!!!" :wideyed::banghead::banghead:

Robbity

That is frickin scary. Request a new doctor ASAP.

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A couple of work colleagues a few years ago:
Colleague 1: I don't really understand the difference between Type 1 and Type 2
Colleague 2: Type 1 is the one you are born with and Type 2 is the one you get when you are older.

Also heard a funny on TV last night. I was watching the Tour of Britain cycling and the commentator was talking about Team Novo Nordisk who are all Type 1's. He was describing how they wanted to gain entry to the Tour de France in 2021 as that was 100 years since the "invention of insulin" It wasn't really an invention but at least Novo Nordisk got a mention.

amymac84

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I have had a lot if these said to me.
I have been a type 1 for 21yrs and have come across some real stupid questions for people but the best thing I have ever heard was from a nurse.
I am a nurse myself and one day at work we had a patient admitted, the nurse who gave me the patients history said that the patient was a type 1 diabetic, I enquired about the insulin regime to be told that they only took insulin once a day but also took metformin. Hmmm??? I said that can't be right for a type 1? And the nurse's response was "well they were a type 2 but now they take insulin that makes them a type 1"
It shocks me the lack of knowledge that some medical professionals have and is also a bit scary.

Reactions: 10 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Robbity

In my not so humble opinion, anyone who stabs their finger, draws blood and tests it as a hobby should be under the care of an entirely different kind of HCP :rolleyes: I'm wondering what kind of patients he sees on a daily basis ? :eek:

Signy

Reactions: 5 people

JohannL1994

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Do you inject liquid sugar? Was my favourite.

I was with my girlfriend for a few months and after the first time we made love she asked "is diabetes lik an STI? I don't mind having it but I would like to know!"

I assured her that she will have diabetes for the rest of her life only if we split up :p it took her a few months to realise I was joking!

Reactions: 12 people

ManUtdGal!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Animal cruelty!
Registered nurse came to treat me while hypo in hospital while I was pregnant. She brought me a salad sandwich as she said " you're not allowed sugar" so I stated I needed something sweet. She asked if jam on toast would be ok and I said yes. She brought it with diabetic jam!!!! Priceless!!!!

Reactions: 4 people

AlexMBrennan

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was with my girlfriend for a few months and after the first time we made love she asked "is diabetes lik an STI? I don't mind having it but I would like to know!"
And that's how STIs spread

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Another thing, I ended up on a psychiatric ward due to depression & due to being diagnosed only a few months back, I was prescribed 12 units of novorapid per meal & 14 units of levemir on a night.
The ward nurses wouldn't let me inject less than 12 units but my honeymoon phase had just started and I didn't need 12 units!! That was scary as hell because the food served didn't have enough carbs to require all that insulin.
Despite protesting to the doctor, my choices were no insulin or hypo. They also forced me to inject 14 units of levemir on an evening so my sugars were plummeting all day anyway.
Most terrifying week of my life.

This sort of problem occurred to me on a Diabetic ward!!!!
They then asked me what I needed!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

**shell**

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Insects, ignorance, horror films.
Classics I've had (some have already been mentioned):
• which one is better to have?
• why don't you do that low carb thing so you're no longer diabetic
• can you not just take a tablet?
• did you get that from eating too much sugar?
• offering me a chocolate then pulling it away saying "oops I forgot"
• in the pharmacy needing something for my extremely sore throat, having everything taken out of my hands and told to just drink plenty fluids instead.
• you're having a burger and chips normal coke isn't going to hurt

... I'm sure I have more.

X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App