1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2022 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Type 1s: What stupid things have people said to you?

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by type1harley, Apr 28, 2014.

1. Crimsonclient

Crimsonclient LADA · Well-Known Member

I would have never believed if but I did get the classic and until I heard it with my own ears I thought people were making this one up and that was " do you have the good sort or bad sort"

2. CarbsRok

CarbsRok Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Well apparently they have another client who has type 1 because he was on insulin and has been put on to something else now :) Suspect it's someone who has type 2 and been moved onto one of the other injectable medications.

#202 CarbsRok, Sep 7, 2014 at 6:00 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
  3. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Wow...............:rolleyes:

4. Seriously_Sax1989

Seriously_Sax1989 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Oh god lol a work colleague I've been trying to explain the procedure if I go low to, decided to tell me if I was to go low to the point of slurred speech etc basically a really bad low where I may need MEDICAL ASSISTANCE he would "slap me and tell me not to be stupid"...

I had 1 Bourbon biscuit with a cup of tea and another work colleague looked at me with utmost despair and loudly exclaimed "YOU CANT EAT THAT, YOU'LL DIE!"

• Like Like x 12
  5. Emmotha

Emmotha Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I've been diagnosed type 1 at the age of 29. You don't know how many times I've heard "but can't you only get that as a kid?"! Grr.

• Like Like x 2
  6. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Blimey, don't fancy working with that lot :eek:

7. Seriously_Sax1989

Seriously_Sax1989 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Lol ^^^ funny thing is most of the guys I work with have diabetes, but type 2 so you would like to think there was some knowledge of diabetes! *face palm*

8. Robbity

Robbity Type 2 · Expert

Two gems from the doctor I've been assigned to for my diabetes appointments: I was wanting advice on how I might reduce my somewhat higher than I wish for pre-meal readings, and he said "Oh it's all to do with eating sugar and carbohydrates..." and was a bit gobsmacked when I said I was actually eating a low carb diet, and had nothing useful to say. I was also trying (again) to get test strips on prescription, and had also printed out a graph of my last three months reading for him (which he did have a good look at) and he was adamant that "as a type 2 you don't need to test - but it's all right if you're doing it as a HOBBY!!!" :wideyed::banghead::banghead:

Robbity

• Like Like x 2
  9. PaulinaB

PaulinaB Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I work with a girl who is type 2 and has some very picky knowledge about diabetes. She knows it's carbs (not "sugar"), and that bread is generally bad, but she has no idea about difference between t1 and t2.
    She asks me questions like "how's your diabetes?" (What am I supposed to say? "Not too bad, we watched a movie last night"?!)

She was recently talking about how she started going to the gym 3 times a week (she's very slim) and how that made her doc lower her meds. She tried to suggest that maybe if I started exercising my doc will switch me to pills instead of insulin 0_0

She's actually not a first person who has no idea what "type 1" means and thinks that If I exercise and diet I'll be off insulin... I never know what to say to those people :/

• Like Like x 8
  10. User4

User4 Type 1 · Member

That is frickin scary. Request a new doctor ASAP.

11. Constantin21

Constantin21 Type 1 · Newbie

So when can you stop taking your insulin then?

• Like Like x 4
  12. Auckland Canary

Auckland Canary Type 1 · Well-Known Member

A couple of work colleagues a few years ago:
    Colleague 1: I don't really understand the difference between Type 1 and Type 2
    Colleague 2: Type 1 is the one you are born with and Type 2 is the one you get when you are older.

Also heard a funny on TV last night. I was watching the Tour of Britain cycling and the commentator was talking about Team Novo Nordisk who are all Type 1's. He was describing how they wanted to gain entry to the Tour de France in 2021 as that was 100 years since the "invention of insulin" It wasn't really an invention but at least Novo Nordisk got a mention.

• Like Like x 2
  13. amymac84

amymac84 Type 1 · Member

I have had a lot if these said to me.
    I have been a type 1 for 21yrs and have come across some real stupid questions for people but the best thing I have ever heard was from a nurse.
    I am a nurse myself and one day at work we had a patient admitted, the nurse who gave me the patients history said that the patient was a type 1 diabetic, I enquired about the insulin regime to be told that they only took insulin once a day but also took metformin. Hmmm??? I said that can't be right for a type 1? And the nurse's response was "well they were a type 2 but now they take insulin that makes them a type 1"
    It shocks me the lack of knowledge that some medical professionals have and is also a bit scary.

• Like Like x 10
  14. Heathenlass

Heathenlass Type 1 · Well-Known Member

In my not so humble opinion, anyone who stabs their finger, draws blood and tests it as a hobby should be under the care of an entirely different kind of HCP :rolleyes: I'm wondering what kind of patients he sees on a daily basis ? :eek:

Signy

• Like Like x 5
  15. JohannL1994

JohannL1994 Type 1 · Newbie

Do you inject liquid sugar? Was my favourite.

I was with my girlfriend for a few months and after the first time we made love she asked "is diabetes lik an STI? I don't mind having it but I would like to know!"

I assured her that she will have diabetes for the rest of her life only if we split up :p it took her a few months to realise I was joking!

• Like Like x 12
  16. hld1904

hld1904 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Registered nurse came to treat me while hypo in hospital while I was pregnant. She brought me a salad sandwich as she said " you're not allowed sugar" so I stated I needed something sweet. She asked if jam on toast would be ok and I said yes. She brought it with diabetic jam!!!! Priceless!!!!

• Like Like x 4
  17. AlexMBrennan

AlexMBrennan Type 1 · Well-Known Member

And that's how STIs spread

18. **shell**

**shell** Type 1 · Well-Known Member

This sort of problem occurred to me on a Diabetic ward!!!!
    They then asked me what I needed!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

19. **shell**

**shell** Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Classics I've had (some have already been mentioned):
    • which one is better to have?
    • why don't you do that low carb thing so you're no longer diabetic
    • can you not just take a tablet?
    • did you get that from eating too much sugar?
    • offering me a chocolate then pulling it away saying "oops I forgot"
    • in the pharmacy needing something for my extremely sore throat, having everything taken out of my hands and told to just drink plenty fluids instead.
    • you're having a burger and chips normal coke isn't going to hurt

... I'm sure I have more.

X

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

20. Hilary51

Hilary51 Type 1 · Member

You have diabetes ? Did you used to be fat ? That's about the worse I heard for all reasons

• Like Like x 2
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook