Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
As we are beginning to creep into the autumn and
pre winter .
Starting with getting arthritis in my knuckles for the
first time ever .
Knuckles swollen up and red when it really kicks in .

Am an arthritis newbie :p
Am aware it may well push up the blood sugars with the
inflammation from it all ?

How do others cope ? control or manage the pain factor better or well ?
Had to remove a lovely favourite ring as much too painful to wear or even take off .
Pulling and tugging it over my swollen knuckle . :inpain:
Taking some paracetamol for the pain also .
Cant bend or grip things the same either :bigtears:

Wondered about using a pain relieving gel also ?
Applying it onto my knuckle .
Pain is variable daily too .
One day its very painful other days its more bearable .

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Ah that may be whats happening. My arthritis has been much better recently. I put it down to diet BG control or B 12. it has got worse in the last few days.

Reactions: 2 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Today went outside and touched the gate and my finger went white, yep the weather has brought the Raynaud’s back, now I must remember to keep my hands warm until next spring,
Being rather stupid as I dont like wearing gloves and keep forgetting not to grab bottles etc; out the fridge, I will have to be more careful.
@anna29 I hope your arthritis calms down and you get many successful remedies and tips :nurse::oldman::nurse:
I have a little arthritis but as soon as I feel it coming (slight flare with very mild pain ) I immediately take one ibuprofen 400mg 3 times that day and it seems to nip it in the bud, so far so good. I think some of those strong gels do help. Yet like diabetes we are all different,
Best of luck and stay nice and warm :):):)

Reactions: 4 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
There have been books out for a while (I think Patrick Holford has one, but there are many on Amazon), which claim that diet is the key.

I have a number of reservations about Mr Holford (anyone who claims to know what is best for you, including tailored tv supplements, which he happens to produce, promote and sell, in his own books is a teensy bit suspect) but there are plenty of others out there.

From what I can remember, the recurring theme is avoid white carbs, sugar, alcohol and suchlike (but it is years since I had a flare up.

They were always worst (hands) when I had been eating bread and higher carbs.
Now that I'm very low carb, even my sore knees are better too. So I think there is (for me) a link between higher carb and inflammation.

Mind you, I'm older now, so it will be interesting to see what dog walking in the cold does this year... :meh:

Your mileage may, of course, vary.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As we are beginning to creep into the autumn and
pre winter .
Starting with getting arthritis in my knuckles for the
first time ever .
Knuckles swollen up and red when it really kicks in .

Am an arthritis newbie :p
Am aware it may well push up the blood sugars with the
inflammation from it all ?

How do others cope ? control or manage the pain factor better or well ?
Had to remove a lovely favourite ring as much too painful to wear or even take off .
Pulling and tugging it over my swollen knuckle . :inpain:
Taking some paracetamol for the pain also .
Cant bend or grip things the same either :bigtears:

Wondered about using a pain relieving gel also ?
Applying it onto my knuckle .
Pain is variable daily too .
One day its very painful other days its more bearable .

Keep your hands warm. Keep fingers moving, kneading dough is good. I have used playdough in the past, just squeezing it for ages when sitting down resting or watching tv.

I have used a TENS machine for arthritic pain.

Don't wear rings, it is not nice having to have them cut off.

If you are able to tolerate Ibuprofen take that alternating with paracetamol. You could also use ibuprofen gel. If they don't work get prescription for something stronger. It may be a good idea to see doc about it anyway.

Hope you feel better soon.

JTL

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Litterbugs war mongers hate mongers propagandists.
I'm sure there's more.
The higher my sugars the worse my pain.

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I exactly agree with @Brunneria concerning Holford. Just because he is a bit dodgy, doesn't mean everything he says is wrong. An inflammatory connection between diet and arthritis makes sense. My mother (to whom I am related) reversed all her arthritis symptoms with a Japanese macrobiotic diet. Not for everyone, but it worked for her.

Scouser58

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Hello Anna29 and to all, I have arthritis and diabetes and I find that the main thing that makes them worse is the changing of the weather, and now the colder weather has arrived then the gloves have to go on, and the socks too.(socks on before August Bank Holiday week end!).What!!
My arthritis is pain relieved with Zapain (co-codermol 30/500) which I taken mainly going to bed, and wake up rested and no pain, when the shoulders kick off then I use a gel on the pain and then keep the shoulder warm and draft free, drafts on pain makes the whole condition worse. My body is so used to having the co-codermol at night I sleep when I take them during the day.
The diabetes seems to know when the cold weather has arrived, as I feel hungry sooner between meals, which is no good for the blood sugar control. So I have taken to having slow cooked steak with some roast potatoes, which fills me up and then I feel warm and comfortable. (
Yes roast potatoes are not low carb, but the body needs comfort in the cold weather).When your fingers are cold have you tried the glove type mittens, were the finger ends are free of the glove are away they you can fold over the ends of the fingers to keep them warm without being too tight. Have you got a comfortable mug for yoyr brew up, and then your other hand can warm up on the mug as well.
As yet I have not found the arthritis affecting the diabetes,
Please all remember to go for your Flu Jab, tis the season to be vaccinated, ttfn

Reactions: 5 people

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, and I remembered this about 4 in the morning - when I was chasing the s*dd*ng cat round the kitchen trying to extract a mouse from his jaws - the worst year I had for my hands and knees, was about 8 years ago.

I had been impressively progressive (for me), and swapped my desktop PC for a laptop and a cordless mouse. I could sit, sprawled comfortably in an armchair, feet up on footstool, hand resting on the mouse on the chair arm. Very laid back and luxurious. For hours (that was the year I discovered Warcraft :woot:).

Anyway, my right fingers, both wrists and my knees got worse, and worse. My finger joints lost their strength, yada yada, you know the symptoms.

Eventually I twigged that it might be something to do with the laptop and switched back to my ancient PC - and everything got better. Much better. Quite quickly. I even have full strength back in my finger joints, which I never thought was possible.

So (and I'm guessing here) I think it was the magnetic fields from the rechargeable batteries in laptop and cordless mouse.

I've been very careful not to have electric cords (which have magnetic field) running under my chairs or bed ever since...

Anyone else experience anything similar?

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Oh, and I remembered this about 4 in the morning - when I was chasing the s*dd*ng cat round the kitchen trying to extract a mouse from his jaws - the worst year I had for my hands and knees, was about 8 years ago.

I had been impressively progressive (for me), and swapped my desktop PC for a laptop and a cordless mouse. I could sit, sprawled comfortably in an armchair, feet up on footstool, hand resting on the mouse on the chair arm. Very laid back and luxurious. For hours (that was the year I discovered Warcraft :woot:).

Anyway, my right fingers, both wrists and my knees got worse, and worse. My finger joints lost their strength, yada yada, you know the symptoms.

Eventually I twigged that it might be something to do with the laptop and switched back to my ancient PC - and everything got better. Much better. Quite quickly. I even have full strength back in my finger joints, which I never thought was possible.

So (and I'm guessing here) I think it was the magnetic fields from the rechargeable batteries in laptop and cordless mouse.

I've been very careful not to have electric cords (which have magnetic field) running under my chairs or bed ever since...

Anyone else experience anything similar?
Did have similar when using laptop. Put it down to posture, when using the laptop. You know, 'sprawled comfortably in armchair" = slouched in chair. Plus weight of the laptop. Neck and shoulder pain and numb fingers resulted. So, to the pc, which is set up following an ergonomic assessment, with a good quality office chair, also set up for my individual requirements.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Sorry to hear that anna :inpain:(and all you fellow sufferers) have you been to your GP yet ? When I was at a hand therapy clinic( at my local hospital) they had so many leaflets on Arthritis, so possibly your GP could refer you to something similar? Take care and I hope you can find something that will help.:)

Reactions: 3 people

Spiker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Brunneria surely bad laptop ergonomics is more likely a culprit that electromagnetic fields? At the very least I would want to rule that out first.

Hang on am I being hoaxed here? :)

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Brunneria surely bad laptop ergonomics is more likely a culprit that electromagnetic fields? At the very least I would want to rule that out first.

Hang on am I being hoaxed here? :)
lol.
Nope, I'm serious.
My comfy posture in the chair wasnt actually ergonomically bad (Ive had a previous brush with bad posture and keyboards, so I'm v careful):). Fully supported back, cushions, relaxed arm position, and legs at a good angle. Head rest. No strain.

I really do believe it was the batteries in the laptop and the cordless mouse.

As soon as I switched to a corded mouse and PC, the symptoms began to fade.

I absolutely realise how far fetched it sounds - and dont mind in the least if you dismiss it out of hand.
But I found it very convincing.

Colleagues find it very odd that I have repeatedly refused cordless mice at work.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Many thanks for all your lovely replies :)

Visted my own GP today got a script for pain relief .
Cocodamol and some gel to rub direct on knuckles .
Two of them are still red and swollen up yet .
Really struggle to open things and lift/grip things like used to :grumpy:

Discovering little tricks like keeping hands warm 'helps'
to ease the pain .
Keep hand under my duvet and not out to get cold -
then awake in early hours with pain .
Was soaking my hands in warm soapy water in kitchen
on tues to ease the pain also !
Dunno if this was right or wrong thing to do?

Certainly a newbie with arthritis this autumn :wacky:
It has just sprung itself upon me :eek:

Today weather been warmer and pain eased a bit 'relief'
Had no idea 'arthritis' can be so painful .
My BG levels have been a bit raised since flare up too
Hoping to get them down more now pain eased .

K

Kat100

Hi
Many thanks for all your lovely replies :)

Visted my own GP today got a script for pain relief .
Cocodamol and some gel to rub direct on knuckles .
Two of them are still red and swollen up yet .
Really struggle to open things and lift/grip things like used to :grumpy:

Discovering little tricks like keeping hands warm 'helps'
to ease the pain .
Keep hand under my duvet and not out to get cold -
then awake in early hours with pain .
Was soaking my hands in warm soapy water in kitchen
on tues to ease the pain also !
Dunno if this was right or wrong thing to do?

Certainly a newbie with arthritis this autumn :wacky:
It has just sprung itself upon me :eek:

Today weather been warmer and pain eased a bit 'relief'
Had no idea 'arthritis' can be so painful .
My BG levels have been a bit raised since flare up too
Hoping to get them down more now pain eased .
hi Anna ...hope you are soon pain free or pain controlled ....this is so,painful ...look after yourself ...best wishes ..Kat

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hi

hi Anna ...hope you are soon pain free or pain controlled ....this is so,painful ...look after yourself ...best wishes ..Kat
Used the gel before making our tea tonight .
It did ease the pain quite a bit too :D

Many thanks for your thoughtful reply Kat .

K

Kat100

Hi s
Used the gel before making our tea tonight .
It did ease the pain quite a bit too :D

Many thanks for your thoughtful reply Kat .
hi Anna, glad you used the gel .....
Hope it is working ....and have a nice weekend what ever you are doing ...X

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
so that's what's going on, I also have a lap top...so it's not the movies I'm watching, it's the electromagnetic fields that are having an autonomic effect. too many iron tablets perhaps :)