1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Diabetes and Arthritis

Discussion in 'Diabetes Discussions' started by anna29, Sep 25, 2014.

1. poshtotty

poshtotty Type 2 · Well-Known Member

@anna29 I'm sorry you are suffering. I was diagnosed with mid to severe rheumatoid arthritis around the same time as diagnosed T2 diabetic. It is no coincidence that both are autoimmune diseases. The RA has given me far more trouble than diabetes but since addressing my diet and going LCHF I've dropped all my strong RA meds, including pain killers. I really do believe there is a connection with diet . My weaning myself off my meds was not intentional, but a happy by product of my improved eating. I'm virtually pain free now, and without the joint swelling, (my fingers have almost returned to normal shape and size after years of having "swan neck" ring fingers on both hands) but I recognise the symptoms you describe, especially inability to grip. I was forever dropping things, and still do drop my car keys if I have other things to carry in the same hand.

Like @this is too difficult two mine has been slightly worse these past few days but is bearable. I shall have to face the music in November when I see the rheumatologist

I hope you find some relief soon

• Like Like x 4
  2. poshtotty

I forgot to say that I was advised by the consultant to take baths rather than showers, especially in the morning. Soaking in a warm deep bath helps ease joint pain and warms things up. It definitely works for me :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. Pipp

Pipp Type 2 · Expert
    Retired Moderator

Yes, warm baths with added sea salt or Epsom salt. I have trouble getting in and out of bath though.

• Like Like x 4
  4. this is too difficult two

this is too difficult two Don't have diabetes · Well-Known Member

What is the re
    What is the relationship?

5. Spiker

Spiker Type 1 · Well-Known Member

To be honest I don't remember the details beyond certain foods causing inflammation.

The macrobiotic diet avoids acid-promoting foods.

• Like Like x 3
  6. this is too difficult two

I always preferred baths. I now have to use a thermometer as I cant tell the temperature of the water with my hands.

7. poshtotty

I can't like this. Its sad, but wise to use a thermometer. Do you remember Princess Margaret scalding her feet in a hot bath? I do wonder if she had our condition/s.

My daughter has poor circulation and little sensation in her feet. Two winters ago she burned the soles of both feet on an electric blanket I bought her which adjusted itself when it detected certain areas of the body were cold. Its taken 18 months for the burns to heal. It'll take me a lot longer to forgive myself for buying the blanket for her.

Beware if using electric blankets or hot water bottles this winter

• Like Like x 3
  8. this is too difficult two

I use neither.

9. poshtotty

You have your love to keep you warm!:p

10. this is too difficult two

Indeed I do. I don't know how she puts up with me.

• Like Like x 4
  11. poshtotty

Yo
    Maybe something to do with your movie star looks and razor-sharp wit? ;)

12. lizdeluz

lizdeluz Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that you've got pain in your hands. Arthritis is a complicated condition and I don't know diddly squat about it, but...

I get lots of pain in my hands these days, especially in the joints below my thumbs. I wouldn't say I cope with it, but it's down the pecking order in comparison with arthritic knees and frozen shoulders.

I do crochet every day when listening to radio or watching tv - if it's something where I don't have to look at the screen 100%. I think this might help to keep the finger joints active, but that's not the reason I do it.:D

I make a bottle of oil for massage - pure almond oil with about 8 to 12 drops, in total, of, say, lavender, rosemary, juniper, rose, cinnamon leaf, mandarin, or lemon essential oils, or a mixture, and massage my hands daily. You can just rub the oil in, or you can follow a hand massage tutorial on YouTube if you want. This may help with inflammation of the joints and help to keep them moving.

I'm sure that many people will think, "La, la, la, .....!" And I don't blame them, but I do know from experience that massage and massage oil protect skin health and aid relaxation of joints.

I also massage oil in to skin after a shower. A little goes a long way, and essential oils in minute quantities (always very well diluted with oil) really help to protect the skin. Plus, it's a little bit of self-care, which never goes amiss.

I hope the pain settles down and goes away. ;):(

• Like Like x 6
  13. Alanp35

Alanp35 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Also see your GP. Arthritis comes in many guises and some can be knocked on the head at an early stage, some can't but that's life. I've had RA for 56 years - crippling, believe me.

• Like Like x 2
  14. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Will give a soak in a warm bath a go .
    Have always been a shower person though .
    How does the Epsom salts help ?
    Draw out? calm the inflammation?

Noticed if soak hands in warm water in sink
    (whilst washing up)
    It has eased the pain temporarily .
    The warmth IS certainly needed ...
    I use my elbow to temperature test the water .

Been using ibuprofen gel and pain tablets to get
    through this .
    Plus tuck hands under duvet/blanket at night .
    Colder possible wetter? weather is a definite trigger !
    Never knew it could be this painful . :inpain:

• Like Like x 2
  15. Brunneria

Brunneria Other · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Those wheat bags that you microwave are excellent! They don't hold the heat like a hot water bottle, but neither do they go cold and clammy. And they mould (mold?) to shape fantastically.

I think you can get them cheap from that well known online auction house.

My friend uses one as a mouse wrist rest.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Kat100

Kat100 · Guest

Anna there are those gloves without the fingers in ....for the moments your hands are cold but you might be indoors reading a book or sitting using the net ....for example .... Just a thought ...

• Like Like x 2
  17. anna29

anna29 Type 2 · Well-Known Member
    Retired Moderator

Thanks for your great replies and support .
    I am looking into getting a small lavender filled
    microwaveable warming bag .

My mum has one of these and uses it with her
    arthritis .
    She bought hers years ago from a chemists .
    Will have to hunt similar one down .

18. izzzi

izzzi Type 2 · Well-Known Member

What ever you do, don't leave in the microwave to long. but if you do you will know about it.
    We have overcooked a few, terrible smell.
    however still a great idea. they are also quite easy to make ( smelly socks might need washing first )Microwave Heating Pads | ThriftyFun

19. Minnie45

Minnie45 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Sorry to everyone who is suffering at the moment - I'm a T1 with other autoimmune conditions including under active thyroid, UC and inflammatory colitic arthritis - all confirmed/linked to my T1 (ie auto immune), this time of year is horrible for joints but I find swimming offers some relief, I also find massaging affected joints with a soothing aromatherapy oil helps. When my flare ups are bad I'm usually put on steroids but I try to avoid that as obviously T1 and steroids cause more problems.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Robinredbreast

Robinredbreast Type 1 · Oracle

Hi guys, I hope your aches and pains are not too bad today, but the colder weather we now have must be an extra problem.

Well, since my horrible multi fragmented wrist break, I have complications. It is a form of Arthritis, RSD/ CRPS . The excruciating pain is subsiding but my hand/wrist was quite painful this morning. My wrist is a deformed shape and locked solid, fingers bent, hand swollen and many more symptoms. I attend a weekly hand therapy clinic at my local hospital.
    Went back to GP today to tell him how I was getting on, and told GP my hand therapist suggested a medication called Amitriptyline, (as the two Tramodol tablets I was taking, were making me so ill with vomiting), but this has quite a lot of side affects, so he gave me Nortriptyline instead as this ( after a couple of weeks) should help a little with the pain. I found out there are about 100 different forms of Arthritis, just incredible. Has anyone been given Nortriptyline or Amitriptyline for their symptoms.?

Take care, RRB:)

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook