New hip on Monday

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
I go into hospital on Monday for a long awaited new hip,I have been offered a general anaesthetic or spinal,Im a bit scared,
Has any one any advice.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good luck on Monday. Patricia.

My neighbour had her hip done under an epidural a couple of years ago, and her partner had just had his knee done the same way. They both said how well they felt afterwards. He has had a few issues since, but those are not orthopaedic and relate to another underlying condition flaring up.

Reactions: 2 people
C

chris lowe

A friend had hers done with an epidural and said it was much better than coming round from a general. I think the best thing is be guided by the surgeon when you have the pre op checks. Good luck - you'll be running round like a spring chicken in no time!

Reactions: 4 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
A friend had hers done with an epidural and said it was much better than coming round from a general. I think the best thing is be guided by the surgeon when you have the pre op checks. Good luck - you'll be running round like a spring chicken in no time!
Best wishes for Monday

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
they are a brilliant op now with key hole sugery, you will be so pleased with the outcome..I'd take the spinal, as general has some memory loss they say.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
No mention of key hole Jack,Its total hip replacement,but Im leaning toards spinal.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
keyhole is just standard now, you will have a 2"cut instead of a foot

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No mention of key hole Jack,Its total hip replacement,but Im leaning toards spinal.

Of my neighbour's most recent experiences; she napped on and off during her op and he said he felt he was having a nice relaxing lie down, where he could hear some stuff going on "in another room".

They're sold on it.

I really hope it goes well. My memory is deserting me here, but we have a poster who has recently had a new hip.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Just want to share with the ladies,I bought a pair of trainers from E Bay last week,Sketchers Go Walk slip ons.
I have never worn anything so comfortable,never had them off my feet,lighter than slippers,and absorb shock of the pavements,and look smart.
They will go in hospital with me.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Aawww bless you Patricia. I have never had an epidural and I'm a bit of a wuss regarding operationso_O so I would go for a General, but have a word with your doctor/surgeon and I wish you all the best for Monday, I will be thinking of you and good luck for a safe and healthy recovery :D

Take care RRB x

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Thank you Robinredbreast.
I hope your hand has improved,it looked so painful.
I had a fall last January on a cruise ship,I didnt see the Doctor my hand and arm was black and blue,It took about three months for the swelling to go. x x

WeeWillie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dictators who positively go out of their way to force misery, tears and fears, upon their countryman's lives.
Politicians who, in dealing with dictators, have a wishbone where a backbone should be.
It's understandable you're going to be apprehensive Patricia21.
But try and put your complete confidence in the medical team
who are there to do their very best for you.

We tend to read or hear more stories regarding op's going wrong, and very
little of the thousands and thousands that turn out very successful indeed.
All things considered.... they really are in the minority.

My very best of good wishes to you, I'll be thinking about you.

weewillie
fdf_zps17a79e35.gif

Reactions: 6 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Good luck for Monday Patricia, I've had a general anaesthetic on two occasions without any problems, they ask you to count to 10 when they administer the drug and your lucky to get past 2, when you wake it's all over and done with.

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Thank you Weewillie,your little man dancing may be me in a few weeks time.

connie104

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Of my neighbour's most recent experiences; she napped on and off during her op and he said he felt he was having a nice relaxing lie down, where he could hear some stuff going on "in another room".

They're sold on it.

I really hope it goes well. My memory is deserting me here, but we have a poster who has recently had a new hip.
Hi it was me I had a new hip on 14th August and I am walking very well now 6 weeks in . I had epidural and never felt a thing as you are quite drowsy . I didn't even need physio and now go back in December to see consultant .

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi it was me I had a new hip on 14th August and I am walking very well now 6 weeks in . I had epidural and never felt a thing as you are quite drowsy . I didn't even need physio and now go back in December to see consultant .

Thanks for dropping by with your recent feedback. I remembered you'd had the epidural, but just couldn't recall if it was you or another person.

Reactions: 3 people

Patricia21

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Animal crualty
Thank you Connie,and glad all is well for you.

Anie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck, hope all goes well and you are soon back on your feet pain free