New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
Having had a discussion with my gp about blood test strips and determined that the nhs pay roughly £17 a pot, I get through roughly £56 worth a month. That's likely to be the target price for sensors before the NHS takes them up. Roughly £34 per sensor.

Given the retail cost of strips online is below £20 (vat exempt) there is a little way to go.

newenden

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
football cricket rugby most things that involve a ball
whilst driving to the hospital i received a call saying rep had turned up with part of the equipment missing so now waiting for call to go back later this week. i was very disappointed i have not been this exited about getting something since i was a kid at christmas. still i have been assured i will have it by the end of the week.

iHs

I look forward to reading msgs on the forum from those who have been asked to take part in trialling the Libre.... Keep us updated everyone on the good, the bad and the ugly so we all can make the right decision on whether to purchase or not.

I'm not on facebook or twitter as yet but am interested to get updates @hale710

Reactions: 4 people

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Did anyone actually get a date for the release of the libre to the paying public? I have searched high & low without any success...

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I cannot wait for this :) I have already asked all my family and friends who would usually buy me Christmas & Birthday presents if they can give me money toward the sensors instead :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

SpikeThacker

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
looking forward to its release in the uk. being a LGV driver and needing to take bloods every 2 hours, this will be a godsend, lets hope the NHS take it on. i believe on the grapevine that they will be cutting down on the amount of meters to a choose from, 2 for t1 and 4 for t2, to make it more cost effective. lets hope this is 1 of them

Reactions: 2 people

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
looking forward to its release in the uk. being a LGV driver and needing to take bloods every 2 hours, this will be a godsend, lets hope the NHS take it on. i believe on the grapevine that they will be cutting down on the amount of meters to a choose from, 2 for t1 and 4 for t2, to make it more cost effective. lets hope this is 1 of them

The DVLA have not yet approved it for pre driving readings so you will still have to test every 2 hours I'm afraid with a normal finger prick!

Winifred12345

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had it on trial for the last couple of weeks and it has been amazing! I've also got the Medtronic CGMS and have put that on again today to find yet again that it's not working.

Reactions: 6 people

jackois

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Nice to hear that you are getting on so well with it, Winifred. Can't wait for them to release it generally!

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Only other thing if you are type one and you have to test before you drive the DVLA will not accept this meter readings yet

Hilary51

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A rep bought it into the hospital. Brilliant idea but £130 to buy and will cost £90 a month for arm pods. Won't be on Prescription for 18 months + and only very limited number of people will be eligible. Great if you can afford it!!!

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I cannot wait for this :) I have already asked all my family and friends who would usually buy me Christmas & Birthday presents if they can give me money toward the sensors instead :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

That's a brilliant idea.

(Obviously, I didn't have to reply to you, but wanted to bump your post for maximum exposure for others feeling uncomfortable about the running costs. ;))

Reactions: 3 people