1. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2021 »
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Guest, stay home, stay safe, save the NHS. Stay up to date with information about keeping yourself and people around you safe here and GOV.UK: Coronavirus (COVID-19). Think you have symptoms? NHS 111 service is available here.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

New Flash Glucose Monitoring from Abbott - Bloodless Testing

Discussion in 'Type 1 Diabetes' started by Omnipod, Aug 14, 2014.

1. Winifred12345

Winifred12345 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

It's a lot less than Medtronic!

2. daniT1D

daniT1D Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I hope everyone wanting this can find a way to afford it. I don't have loads of spare cash but happy to sacrifice other things to fund this :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

3. Winifred12345

Couldn't agree more Dan and they are so easy to get in, I've just wasted a Medtronic at a cost of £40 as that is so hard!

• Like Like x 2
  4. daniT1D

5. Winifred12345

Only tried one and yes it did, I know some others haven't.

6. daniT1D

Great, thank you

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

7. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

I've read on some blogs that Abbotts are guaranteeing the sensors for 14 days and have replaced any that haven't lasted. Of course, that might only be during the trial as they don't want any bad publicity at this stage, but if any fail (unless it's my fault) I'll certainly be contacting them to replace it. I guess we'll soon find out.

Smidge

• Like Like x 2
  8. noblehead

noblehead Type 1 · Guru
    Retired Moderator

Hardly a vote of confidence, what are the reasons for the sensors failing ?

9. Robert 2170

Robert 2170 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

I saw to my nurse last week and she had the meter and was trying it and was to report back to the rep.
    She said don't rush out just now to get it there is still a few problems with it and one was the length of time the sender lasted.
    She found when it got near to the 14 days the Senser would start to give faulse readings and still had to do the finger test to get the correct reading
    Also as it was not a blood test it was reading it was about 15 behind what your actual reading was
    So I will wait and see and there is also other testers in the pipe line

10. smidge

smidge LADA · Well-Known Member

@noblehead - seems to be all sorts of reasons from poor accuracy to failed adhesive. Complaints are that once a sensor fails and you contact Abbotts customer service, they can't supply new sensors as they have no supplies and no timescales for having any. Abbotts have gone totally silent on Twitter for the last couple of weeks and are no longer responding to trial users' tweets as they were early on. People have contacted customer services as late as this Friday and the staff still have no idea when it will be launched. People are now rumouring that Abbotts have totally underestimated the demand and know they won't cope with the launch or subsequent sensor demands and are putting it off. #frustrating is now being used in connection with this product and the lack of information from Abbotts. It doesn't bode well.

Smidge

• Like Like x 2
  11. donnellysdogs

donnellysdogs Type 1 · Master

Sounds familiar to freestyle navigator at the moment:(

12. Hooked

Hooked · Guest

Oh dear, doesn't sound good at all. Surely they should have realised the interest in a system like this would be huge.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Hooked

Hooked · Guest

I notice the latest advert is coming up on the side of Facebook for this device is saying "You can do it before driving". Did the DVLA approve them?

14. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

Am wondering if the sensor would be a lot better in accuracy and adhesion if it was sold to last 10 days and so 3 would be needed to last 30 days instead of 2?

15. donnellysdogs

I think they need to look at the actual issue of the glue adhesive. It was bad on the Navigator... Doesn't look lime they have listened to feeback from yheir users and probably still using the same...it was bad enough getting 5 days adhesion with the Navigator sensor.. I used to wear another tubgrip over the top of it. Then when advised not to do that by Abbott they advised to use a brown tape.. Can't remember name of it now. Then they sent me a large big plaster looking thing to use. Then it was my fault because I use my arms gardening alot!!

No good altering the time of wear.. They never addressed the issue with the Navigator sensor that was bad.. So they need to listen to their Users more.

If the sensors are not firmly attached then the readings will be inaccurate..

• Like Like x 2
  16. iHs

iHs · Well-Known Member

What about Skintac or Tegaderm?

17. donnellysdogs

They didn't recommend those products to me

18. Engineer88

Engineer88 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

We use loads of stuff not recommended by Dexcom. If it makes it stick then so be it!

Seriously though even dex has issues with adhesion sometimes.

• Like Like x 4
  19. donnellysdogs

Why can't they use the same sticky stuff as the sets? They never have problems!!

• Like Like x 2
  20. hale710

hale710 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

Ummmm yes they do. I currently have physio tape holding mine down as it started to come off yesterday after less than 24 hours. For me it's hit or miss as to whether it stays down!

• Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook