T2 Diabetic education

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think he's probably saying that Jordan's wholemeal/grain flour makes healthier bread than the processed putty that is Ye Olde Englishe sliced white loaf (and tastier too).

Whatever the failings of the NHS, when I last looked, they were advising that slow release carbs (including wholemeal bread/pasta, brown rice, pulses and - probably - Uncle Tom Cobbley) were better for you, albeit still carby and starchy, than white flour and its associates in infamy :)

I have obviously unwittingly tiptoed into a den of controversy, due to my limited knowledge of dodgy topics on here. Perhaps it would be best if we just let it lie?

Next thrilling instalment a week today...............
just to be different..all wheat is bad, it doesn't matter how they pack it :bag:
http://www.wheatbelly.com/

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
:writer:

Because it's my mission in life to spread peace and understanding? :rolleyes: :p

(I had prepared a much longer reply but - really - what's the point)? :banghead:
there is no point, there are a few members that just come here to wind people up

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all. Perhaps my post was a bit rambling and not clear. I guess my point was that flour producers know that wheat is mainly starch but the best bits are only in the wholegrain types. Yes, some in the NHS do clarify that wholegrain is better for you i.e. lower-GI but many just say 'starchy carbs'. The fact that highly refined white flour is 100% starch and known to be high-GI and causes BS spikes makes some NHS advice particularly stupid, but I think most of us know that already. Just looked at the NHS Choices diet advice website where they explain at length that most of us eat too few starchy carbs and need to eat more; so that's why there are so many obese people and T2s

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hi all. Perhaps my post was a bit rambling and not clear. I guess my point was that flour producers know that wheat is mainly starch but the best bits are only in the wholegrain types. Yes, some in the NHS do clarify that wholegrain is better for you i.e. lower-GI but many just say 'starchy carbs'. The fact that highly refined white flour is 100% starch and known to be high-GI and causes BS spikes makes some NHS advice particularly stupid, but I think most of us know that already. Just looked at the NHS Choices diet advice website where they explain at length that most of us eat too few starchy carbs and need to eat more; so that's why there are so many obese people and T2s

If you looked at the website, it would only then be fair to state that it shows a specific picture of wholegrain bread, and starts with the advice

'Where you can, choose wholegrain varieties, '

As to bread
  • Try different breads, such as seeded, wholemeal and granary, and go for thick slices.
http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Goodfood/Pages/starchy-foods.aspx

So, while I don't eat it, and wouldn't recommend it, it's unfair to claim they recommend starchy white bread, and I would doubt any website would claim that refined white was a good health choice.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
White,wholemeal,wholegrain etc,same thing according to my meter.

Reactions: 6 people

NoCrbs4Me

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Vegetables
White,wholemeal,wholegrain etc,same thing according to my meter.
Me, too. But some diabetics seem to have success with low glycemic index carbs. :bored: Really, the best approach is to eat to your meter.