Diabetes and Arthritis

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@anna29 I'm sorry you are suffering. I was diagnosed with mid to severe rheumatoid arthritis around the same time as diagnosed T2 diabetic. It is no coincidence that both are autoimmune diseases. The RA has given me far more trouble than diabetes but since addressing my diet and going LCHF I've dropped all my strong RA meds, including pain killers. I really do believe there is a connection with diet . My weaning myself off my meds was not intentional, but a happy by product of my improved eating. I'm virtually pain free now, and without the joint swelling, (my fingers have almost returned to normal shape and size after years of having "swan neck" ring fingers on both hands) but I recognise the symptoms you describe, especially inability to grip. I was forever dropping things, and still do drop my car keys if I have other things to carry in the same hand.

Like @this is too difficult two mine has been slightly worse these past few days but is bearable. I shall have to face the music in November when I see the rheumatologist

I hope you find some relief soon

Reactions: 4 people

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to say that I was advised by the consultant to take baths rather than showers, especially in the morning. Soaking in a warm deep bath helps ease joint pain and warms things up. It definitely works for me :)

Reactions: 2 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I forgot to say that I was advised by the consultant to take baths rather than showers, especially in the morning. Soaking in a warm deep bath helps ease joint pain and warms things up. It definitely works for me :)
Yes, warm baths with added sea salt or Epsom salt. I have trouble getting in and out of bath though.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
What is the re
I exactly agree with @Brunneria concerning Holford. Just because he is a bit dodgy, doesn't mean everything he says is wrong. An inflammatory connection between diet and arthritis makes sense. My mother (to whom I am related) reversed all her arthritis symptoms with a Japanese macrobiotic diet. Not for everyone, but it worked for her.
What is the relationship?

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I always preferred baths. I now have to use a thermometer as I cant tell the temperature of the water with my hands.

poshtotty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I always preferred baths. I now have to use a thermometer as I cant tell the temperature of the water with my hands.

I can't like this. Its sad, but wise to use a thermometer. Do you remember Princess Margaret scalding her feet in a hot bath? I do wonder if she had our condition/s.

My daughter has poor circulation and little sensation in her feet. Two winters ago she burned the soles of both feet on an electric blanket I bought her which adjusted itself when it detected certain areas of the body were cold. Its taken 18 months for the burns to heal. It'll take me a lot longer to forgive myself for buying the blanket for her.

Beware if using electric blankets or hot water bottles this winter

Reactions: 3 people

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I can't like this. Its sad, but wise to use a thermometer. Do you remember Princess Margaret scalding her feet in a hot bath? I do wonder if she had our condition/s.

My daughter has poor circulation and little sensation in her feet. Two winters ago she burned the soles of both feet on an electric blanket I bought her which adjusted itself when it detected certain areas of the body were cold. Its taken 18 months for the burns to heal. It'll take me a lot longer to forgive myself for buying the blanket for her.

Beware if using electric blankets or hot water bottles this winter
I use neither.

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As we are beginning to creep into the autumn and
pre winter .
Starting with getting arthritis in my knuckles for the
first time ever .
Knuckles swollen up and red when it really kicks in .

Am an arthritis newbie :p
Am aware it may well push up the blood sugars with the
inflammation from it all ?

How do others cope ? control or manage the pain factor better or well ?
Had to remove a lovely favourite ring as much too painful to wear or even take off .
Pulling and tugging it over my swollen knuckle . :inpain:
Taking some paracetamol for the pain also .
Cant bend or grip things the same either :bigtears:

Wondered about using a pain relieving gel also ?
Applying it onto my knuckle .
Pain is variable daily too .
One day its very painful other days its more bearable .

Sorry to hear that you've got pain in your hands. Arthritis is a complicated condition and I don't know diddly squat about it, but...

I get lots of pain in my hands these days, especially in the joints below my thumbs. I wouldn't say I cope with it, but it's down the pecking order in comparison with arthritic knees and frozen shoulders.

I do crochet every day when listening to radio or watching tv - if it's something where I don't have to look at the screen 100%. I think this might help to keep the finger joints active, but that's not the reason I do it.:D

I make a bottle of oil for massage - pure almond oil with about 8 to 12 drops, in total, of, say, lavender, rosemary, juniper, rose, cinnamon leaf, mandarin, or lemon essential oils, or a mixture, and massage my hands daily. You can just rub the oil in, or you can follow a hand massage tutorial on YouTube if you want. This may help with inflammation of the joints and help to keep them moving.

I'm sure that many people will think, "La, la, la, .....!" And I don't blame them, but I do know from experience that massage and massage oil protect skin health and aid relaxation of joints.

I also massage oil in to skin after a shower. A little goes a long way, and essential oils in minute quantities (always very well diluted with oil) really help to protect the skin. Plus, it's a little bit of self-care, which never goes amiss.

I hope the pain settles down and goes away. ;):(

Reactions: 6 people

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Also see your GP. Arthritis comes in many guises and some can be knocked on the head at an early stage, some can't but that's life. I've had RA for 56 years - crippling, believe me.

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Will give a soak in a warm bath a go .
Have always been a shower person though .
How does the Epsom salts help ?
Draw out? calm the inflammation?

Noticed if soak hands in warm water in sink
(whilst washing up)
It has eased the pain temporarily .
The warmth IS certainly needed ...
I use my elbow to temperature test the water .

Been using ibuprofen gel and pain tablets to get
through this .
Plus tuck hands under duvet/blanket at night .
Colder possible wetter? weather is a definite trigger !
Never knew it could be this painful . :inpain:

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Will give a soak in a warm bath a go .
Have always been a shower person though .
How does the Epsom salts help ?
Draw out? calm the inflammation?

Noticed if soak hands in warm water in sink
(whilst washing up)
It has eased the pain temporarily .
The warmth IS certainly needed ...
I use my elbow to temperature test the water .

Been using ibuprofen gel and pain tablets to get
through this .
Plus tuck hands under duvet/blanket at night .
Colder possible wetter? weather is a definite trigger !
Never knew it could be this painful . :inpain:

Those wheat bags that you microwave are excellent! They don't hold the heat like a hot water bottle, but neither do they go cold and clammy. And they mould (mold?) to shape fantastically.

I think you can get them cheap from that well known online auction house.

My friend uses one as a mouse wrist rest.

K

Kat100

Anna there are those gloves without the fingers in ....for the moments your hands are cold but you might be indoors reading a book or sitting using the net ....for example .... Just a thought ...

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Thanks for your great replies and support .
I am looking into getting a small lavender filled
microwaveable warming bag .

My mum has one of these and uses it with her
arthritis .
She bought hers years ago from a chemists .
Will have to hunt similar one down .

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks for your great replies and support .
I am looking into getting a small lavender filled
microwaveable warming bag .

My mum has one of these and uses it with her
arthritis .
She bought hers years ago from a chemists .
Will have to hunt similar one down .
What ever you do, don't leave in the microwave to long. but if you do you will know about it.
We have overcooked a few, terrible smell.
however still a great idea. they are also quite easy to make ( smelly socks might need washing first )Microwave Heating Pads | ThriftyFun

Minnie45

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Sorry to everyone who is suffering at the moment - I'm a T1 with other autoimmune conditions including under active thyroid, UC and inflammatory colitic arthritis - all confirmed/linked to my T1 (ie auto immune), this time of year is horrible for joints but I find swimming offers some relief, I also find massaging affected joints with a soothing aromatherapy oil helps. When my flare ups are bad I'm usually put on steroids but I try to avoid that as obviously T1 and steroids cause more problems.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi guys, I hope your aches and pains are not too bad today, but the colder weather we now have must be an extra problem.

Well, since my horrible multi fragmented wrist break, I have complications. It is a form of Arthritis, RSD/ CRPS . The excruciating pain is subsiding but my hand/wrist was quite painful this morning. My wrist is a deformed shape and locked solid, fingers bent, hand swollen and many more symptoms. I attend a weekly hand therapy clinic at my local hospital.
Went back to GP today to tell him how I was getting on, and told GP my hand therapist suggested a medication called Amitriptyline, (as the two Tramodol tablets I was taking, were making me so ill with vomiting), but this has quite a lot of side affects, so he gave me Nortriptyline instead as this ( after a couple of weeks) should help a little with the pain. I found out there are about 100 different forms of Arthritis, just incredible. Has anyone been given Nortriptyline or Amitriptyline for their symptoms.?

Take care, RRB:)