Not open for further replies.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quieter, may be but still a lot of posts, many that seem to pass me by and I find then days later and do not get notifications.

I do like to greet the new comers because if we don't then the forum will become quiet. All forums ebb and flood and we are just in the ebb at the moment. I am sure we will get a flood soon when andy and paul can both receive a new warning just so they feel like they are home again :D

I agree that we should not get into naval gazing disagreements within a newbies thread. That will just drive them away! May be we should have a sub-forum just to discuss all the political directions regarding life styles. How about call it the "Diabetes Lifestyle Debate Sub Forum". We currently have a diabetes discussion forum so this one would be just for diametrically opposed views.

Like a padded cell? o_O

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Think we need to answer the questions from OP-

"So, what does the forum think?
- What could we do to improve matters?
- Do we want our moderators to help us in any way?" Ie how can they help....

Put up new posters in GP Practices.. Make sure they are changed regularly so that people are aware of external help. Ask PPG members at your Practice if they could ask the Practice Manager to display them.
Ok
What does the forum think?
This member thinks that there is often disharmony that can be off putting.
So members seem to have an agenda.
Some members who try to offer genuine help are discouraged by personal attacks, and differences of opinion turning into conflict.
Most members try to help, but some are very 'blinkered' and not prepared to see another point of view.

What could we do to improve matters?
Be prepared to engage in 'dialogue' rather than 'debate'. That way we learn from each other.
If someone has a different opinion to one's own, don't take it personally.
'Do as you would be done by'. Respond to posts as you would like others to respond to you. Show respect to poster. If they are disrespectful, ignore them.

Do we want our moderators to help us?
All that is needed is for the forum rules to be upheld by all. Moderators should oversee this, and be consistent in ensuring conduct adheres to forum rules.

Just my opinion, though. Not got a problem if anyone disagrees.

Reactions: 8 people

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
How about call it the "Diabetes Lifestyle Debate Sub Forum". We currently have a diabetes discussion forum so this one would be just for diametrically opposed views.

AKA " The War Zone" ;):rolleyes:

Signy

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
[QUOTE="Andrew Colvin, post: 647351, member:
How about call it the "Diabetes Lifestyle Debate Sub Forum". [/QUOTE]

How about speaking in English, mate?
That's too tech for some of us scousers!

Is that a forum which submariners answer?

Reactions: 4 people

uncle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a thought
Maybe the negative posters are not controlling their BG and it's the diabetes that make them pedantic or just plain miserable

Reactions: 10 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

Is that a forum which submariners answer?

ok - how about LCHF vs Low GI Forum. That is what all the arguments are always about so just let peeps get it off their chest in one place and @Giverny can write a script to delete the sub-forum every hour or the server would fill up and bring the forum down ;)

Reactions: 8 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
[QUOTE="Andrew Colvin, post: 647351, member:
How about call it the "Diabetes Lifestyle Debate Sub Forum".

Is that a forum which submariners answer?[/QUOTE]

Well yes he did suggest looking at his ships not his belly button! This scouse noticed that.

Sorry @Andrew Colvin that was not very respectful of me!

Reactions: 2 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Well yes he did suggest looking at his ships not his belly button! This scouse noticed that.

Sorry @Andrew Colvin that was not very respectful of me!
Did I lol - wondered why nosher wrote that rofl well that would stop the arguements as well

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
ok - how about LCHF vs Low GI Forum. That is what all the arguments are always about so just let peeps get it off their chest in one place and @Giverny can write a script to delete the sub-forum every hour or the server would fill up and bring the forum down ;)

What about the minority group, Newcastle dieters? We get a pounding from the critics on here.

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just a thought
Maybe the negative posters are not controlling their BG and it's the diabetes that make them pedantic or just plain miserable

Oddly enough, one of the things that truly winds me up when I'm righteously ( as always!) argumentative is someone asking if my BG's are ok :D

Signy

Reactions: 7 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is so much that we are all agreed on regarding what makes an effective diabetic treatment, the need to exercise more, the need to improve diet reducing intake of highly processed food, the need to lose weight.

We are all agreed on the role of carbohydrates on glucose levels and on how reducing the intake of carbohydrates to a lower or greater degree is key in good glycemic control ( at least to the non insulin dependent and probably to those as well ).

We probably all agree on the importance of testing as a means of learning about the effect of different foods have on our control and how we should use this to guide us on how much we need to reduce carbs by to achieve our desired glucose level.

In fact as far as I can see just about the only disagreements are regarding the degree that carbs should be reduced rather than substituted for lower GI alternatives and on whether the reduction in carbs should be just a result of reducing overall calorific intake at the NHS recommended carbs to fats to proteins ratio or it should be the result of substituting fats for carbs.

Yet read a lot of threads and the relative importance of what we are agreed on seems lost in the endless arguments regarding the few matters we disagree on.

Personally I am glad to hear that people have managed to reach control through different paths and are feeling strong enough about their solution to argue about it. It means that there are more options available, more alternatives I can try if I fail with my initial approach. So perhaps our differences should be pointed out as a positive rather than a negative.

By the way I have been a member of this forum since 2009 and if memory serves arguments were a lot worse then.

Reactions: 14 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Oddly enough, one of the things that truly winds me up when I'm righteously ( as always!) argumentative is someone asking if my BG's are ok :D

Signy
Are you sure? ;)

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Signy

Oh, I hope they are. Don't like to ask.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Seriously!
Having a particular label on threads would help. @Brunneria asked @Giverny to create a sub forum for RH and hypoglycaemia. I don't know wether she even got a reply.
We have the basics on the greetings home page, but if you wanted to ask a question regarding thyroid problems how would we know if it wasn't in the title or do we have to read every post?

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
@pavlosn what you have written is so true and I must agree that when I read the discussions that people get heated over there does always seem to be so little difference. It all reminds me of a story by Dr Seuss called the sneetches.

Fortunately, I am too thick skinned or is it too slow to realise people are spoiling for a fight

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
By the way I have been a member of this forum since 2009 and if memory serves arguments were a lot worse then.

Yes, I looked in several years ago, and the animosity from some members discouraged me from posting. I have seen new members discouraged in this way recently. It is shameful.

Reactions: 4 people
Status
Not open for further replies.