Are we losing the plot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

emptyplate

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
I looked at this forum having stumbled across the main website, between my initial diagnosis and my very first HbA1c that confirmed the diagnosis.

I was and always will be eternally grateful for the helpful information I discovered within this forum.

Initially, I lurked. Eventually, I joined and was given a friendly welcome which I really did appreciate at such a personally difficult time.

For some months I tried to give back to the forum by sharing my experience and signposting new members to relevant (to them) areas of the forum.

I found my initial experience of the forum remained with me for many months. Then, it seemed there was a steady rise in what I would describe as tension - there seemed to be a few determined trolls. I even experienced some nasty personal comments directed at me. This did shock me as it was contrary to my experience within the forum up to that point.

I tried to resolve the differences with the troll using PMs to no avail. So I reluctantly used the ignore button - I'd have rather resolved it but, sometimes you have to accept that people are people.

Due to other extenuating personal circumstances at that time. I found I had decreasing time available to spend engaged with the forum. I became frustrated as I found it more and more difficult and time consuming to get through the non constructive debates to find pertinent and constructive dialogue - eventually leading to me being a lurker once again.

I still lurk here and there but, find little worthy of the precious and little time I have available to spend in the forum. I do feel guilty about not being there for new members as much as I would like but, hey, that's life and relates to my personal challenges as opposed to my desire to help.

I'm not sure how any of that helps or contributes to the original post but, that's my experience and I thought it was worth sharing.

For me personally, I'd like to find some way of sifting through the forum to the pertinent information - of course, what is pertinent to me is not necessarily pertinent to someone else. My problem is in interested in all aspects of Diabetes.

I would add that there are a lot of very relevant posts on this thread.

Reactions: 14 people

satindoll

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
It is my opinion rightly or wrongly that the health of the forum is dependant on the members themselves, I have seen on some threads the moderators trying very hard to defuse disagreements only to be ignored by the people concerned, what to do about it? I don't know, but it is up to us the members to learn to behave in a civilised way.

Reactions: 7 people
K

Kat100

I don't understand "hidden agenda". Aren't people just passionate about what has worked for them?

I'm passionate about my volunteer work at my GP's which is why I mention it fairly often. It's a passion that helps others to be aware of things external to this forum that affect our health....

Passion is good but I am absolutely bewildered as to how "hidden agendas" are seen. Perhaps I'm thick. I just think people have passion...
Hi donnellydogs ....I am not referring to people with passion ...yes it is about what works for individuals I am a firm believer in that ....passion yes , I am a very firm believer in that to....
I am refering to games being played ....with another agenda ....maybe ...I can't say ...
A bit of a google on threads and forums gives you answers ....some answers some may find upsetting rather than funny ....
Of course the lines do get blurred with passion and games and emotions and attitudes values and beliefs ....
But the us and them attitude is not something I support ....we are all unique individuals , giving and receiving support at different times and stages ...

Sorry if this muddles you ..it is not intended to ...best wishes Kat

Cc @Giverny

Reactions: 6 people
K

Kat100

Personally, I chose not to read the particular thread beyond the original post, as I predicted that it was one that would quickly descent into a dogfight between LCHF supporters and skeptics; something that I have probably read all before on countless other threads and so have little interest in at the moment.

Such discussions are not wrong of themselves, as long as they remain within civil bounds and do not descend into personal attacks they are in my opinion to be encouraged. Interest and progress is often the result of the resolution of opposing views.

At least this thread was one that made it obvious from the title that it was dedicated to such a discussion and like me one could decide for himself whether to participate or not.

I do not really have a big problem with such threads.

What I do find highly objectionable is threads, particularly initial enquiries from newly diagnosed being hijacked by keyboard warriors fighting their cause in complete disregard and disrespect of the original poste'rs wishes and needs.

We are first and foremost a support forum and the need to offer support to those in need must override all other considerations.

Pavlos
Support yes support ....

Reactions: 2 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Agree...Would be nice if the small minority who start threads to delibrately wind up low carbers and get a reaction knew this too.
Yes I agree with Paul here, because yes, it winds up low carbers, but even worse than that, can also mislead newbies. Neither of these is good for a support forum.

alliebee

Ultimately I wish both sides well..whatever diet you can live with in order to keep blood readings low and stay well..at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice ( just wish I could eat more carbs. But even slow release sends me too high :( )

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Whatever way we treat this infernal disease we should all help newbies to learn that they need to take charge of their own DB and get a meter and test
CAROL

Reactions: 12 people

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well I came into this forum not knowing about sides. To me then (naively) the sides were 'us' and 'diabetes'. I did find that some people always talked sense so I read most of their posts. Then one day someone labelled me and I found myself on a 'side'. Up till then I was just me, zand, that's who I would like to be again, but if I'm forced to take sides, then I will, and I will stand by what I believe in.

Reactions: 8 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Personally the only argument I wish to win is the one against my diabetes, which ultimately is an argument with my own personal demons, which have caused me to stray from the right path on occasion; complacency being the worst amongst them.

In this, I have always found this forum an invaluable help, both as a source of information and encouragement but also as a means of maintaining my focus on the task in hand.

Through participating here and trying to hopefully help others, I am actually doing my own therapy, to quote my friend @Andy12345, reinforcing my own commitment and resolve to fight this disease.

Pavlos

K

Kat100

Agree...Would be nice if the small minority who start threads to delibrately wind up low carbers and get a reaction knew this too.
My diet fits into many boxes I guess Paul , low carb meals , medium carb meals and low GI meals ...so even I get confused with myself , but I choose what my body needs ...and it works for me ...I do what I feel is my best ...
What I really find awful is the games or rather the fighting that takes place (my words) about diet choices ....
People should be aware of different diets I believe what works for one may not work for another ....
But with diets comes all sorts of other issues ...us the holistic human being ...with many needs ...at different times ...
Humans with feelings a very big complex subject ...but support suggestions and even a laugh now and then all helps ...
I don't like separating people by diet groups or antis as they have been called I find that offensive.
I just like to support people and their needs at the time ....
As to are we loosing the plot ..I took a break,from the forum a little while ago , it really gives you back your engery ....people forget that giving support requires the giver to have a rest as well , you come back with a clearer mind , otherwise thoughts can get lost on forums ...due to all the emotions ...the nice thing was people cared enough to ask about me....I guess we are living in a world where we can get over involved at the click of a button ..
Best wishes ...Kat

Reactions: 10 people
K

Kat100

Ultimately I wish both sides well..whatever diet you can live with in order to keep blood readings low and stay well..at the end of the day it comes down to personal choice ( just wish I could eat more carbs. But even slow release sends me too high :( )
Yes I agree with you alliebee it is about us all and that includes many many sides ....and as you say personal,choice ....Kat

Reactions: 4 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of people here post what works for them and acknowledge that it may not work for others surely this is what this forum is about . When I was first DX I was in a complete panic i didnt do "ill" I found this forum and took the advice and tested and found out what I could eat and what not and tried the suggested foods etc and found my way from a HbA1c of 15+ to 7 .We need to help others in the same way
CAROL

Reactions: 8 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Thanks again everyone.

There have been some great points raised on here; some of which sit with us, the general membership of the forum and others focusing on the Moderator/Admin population. It feels, to me, like this it could be interesting to either keep this thread going, or have some form of feedback mechanism on the site? I don't know if Admin/Mods have any shared areas, or message boxes we could use to make contact, without having to single out any individual? I know we have the Report button, but that carries certain connotations and is usually linked to a specific post or poster, which might not always fit the bill, and doesn't feel like it covers either general feedback or even praise. Sometimes, we may just want to feed back thanks for something very positive.

Would anyone else find this sort of thing useful?
Please direct any feedback you have to me :)

Heathenlass

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

Feedback : I formally report @Giverny for changing her avatar from the Lush Jaime Lannister to a bl**dy sheep! :eek:

I have seen more sheep in the last two weeks than most people ever will in several lifetimes, and I prefer the eye candy ;):D

It's intimidation, say I ! :p

Signy

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@Giverny Yes, and everyone knows I don't like sheep! They frighten me. They are vicious.

Paul59

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A lot of people here post what works for them and acknowledge that it may not work for others surely this is what this forum is about . When I was first DX I was in a complete panic i didnt do "ill" I found this forum and took the advice and tested and found out what I could eat and what not and tried the suggested foods etc and found my way from a HbA1c of 15+ to 7 .We need to help others in the same way
CAROL
I totally agree Carol. We have to look at the advice given & then come to our own decision on which way to go :). But it's most important that those giving their point of view from their own experience, must under know circumstance must they stand aguing on which is best, they are only giving their own view, I had my first thread on here locked because of such happenings, I also found out that some of the info given was untrue.

Reactions: 5 people

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Feedback : I formally report @Giverny for changing her avatar from the Lush Jaime Lannister to a bl**dy sheep! :eek:

I have seen more sheep in the last two weeks than most people ever will in several lifetimes, and I prefer the eye candy ;):D

It's intimidation, say I ! :p

Signy
I've already apologised profusely for this :angelic:

Status
Not open for further replies.