Status
Not open for further replies.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
When I was first diagnosed the information I received from my GP was laughable, but the help I received here was fantastic.
Then it started to feel like people where trying to get me to use there diet and did not value other peoples opinions so I did not post as I felt intimidated by there attitude

This is exactly the sort of situation we need to stop!
This forum is not an exclusive club for us to boost each others' egos. There are threads that are obviously just a bit of fun, and there is a place for them, but when someone newly diagnosed or even a member with a genuine concern posts a message, then we need to respond with consideration for their feelings. I too have felt intimidated, and avoided posting on forum.

Reactions: 2 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@pavlosn has your PC got a virus?
Believe it or not I was out riding my bike for a bit of exercise and had my iPhone in my pocket to track my progress. The forum's app was running in the background and the result are the totally random posts above :embarrassed and slightly amused:

Apologies everyone!

Reactions: 9 people
K

Kat100

This is exactly the sort of situation we need to stop!
This forum is not an exclusive club for us to boost each others' egos. There are threads that are obviously just a bit of fun, and there is a place for them, but when someone newly diagnosed or even a member with a genuine concern posts a message, then we need to respond with consideration for their feelings. I too have felt intimidated, and avoided posting on forum.
That again is really sad .....no it is not an exclusive club , it should be a supportive one , for all...

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Believe it or not I was out riding my bike for a bit of exercise and had my iPhone in my pocket to track my progress. The forum's app was running in the background and the result are the totally random posts above :embarrassed and slightly amused:

Apologies everyone!
I love this! :hilarious:
I think I will adopt the phrase 'Your 8 oijo'. When I really feel like saying 'bullsh1t'! ;)

Reactions: 5 people

pavlosn

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I love this! :hilarious:
I think I will adopt the phrase 'Your 8 oijo'. When I really feel like saying 'bullsh1t'! ;)
Combine random (virtual) keyboard presses and predictive text and I suppose I should be grateful nothing worse was posted.

Don't they say that if you sit a monkey before a keyboard and allow for an infinite amount of time, he will come up with the collective works of Shakespeare?

Tonight's output was no sonnet that's for sure!

Pavlos

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't post here often as I don't have a huge amount of experince in managing my diabetes having only been diagnosed less than 18 months ago but I do have significant experience posting on a hi-fi forum where flame wars can erupt. You would not believe how dogmatic some people can get over their personal preference for a certain type of material used in a speaker cable and in the past members have left the forum because of the level of heated dialogue. This is extremely sad as they often take with them a huge amount of experience which others could benefit from. However the most recent tendency has for anyone posting advice has been to qualify it with the acronym YMMV. And that's something we should all bear in mind. Something that works for me may not work for you, your mileage may indeed vary.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

I'm sorry, but reporting one case of bullying is not what this thread is about. IMO

I've nearly left this forum twice now. Both times it was because individual posts or threads broke the camel's back. It wasn't the individual case. It was that there had been far too many similar incidents which combined to overload. I suspect that happened to the person who left.

And MANY regular helpful generous posters have left in the time I have been here.

@zand may agree with me on this, but I don't want to put words in her mouth.

I am more than capable of dealing with attacks/disagreements/silliness aimed at myself.

What gets me down is when I see some poor newbie thread swamped by diet fundamentalism and bickering. Or the same people post irresponsible advice in thread after thread.

Each time I have nearly left, I have taken a break instead, then concentrated on greeting newbies for a few days, and hung out on the silliest threads I can find in the Chat section for a while. But I'm not prepared to do that any more.

I'm going to be using the REPORT button more (you are all witnesses that @Giverny encourages this!) and when I see a post that I think is inappropriate, I will be speaking up.

I have no expectation that the offending poster will take any notice of me, but maybe the poor newbie will realise that they don't have to listen to that plonker's advice.

The only reason why I mentioned bullying was because Zand mentioned it when she quoted my earlier post, I was merely addressing the issue and what action members should take if they feel they are a victim.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The only reason why I mentioned bullying was because Zand mentioned it when she quoted my earlier post, I was merely addressing the issue and what action members should take if they feel they are a victim.

If I can comment, taking a different tack, noblehead.

You recommend a bullied poster hits the Report button, but what actually happens then? On the very small number of times I have felt compelled to hit the Report button, I have had absolutely no idea what, if anything, has transpired. For all I saw and experienced, I might as well have pressed my fingers together and chanted. There was silence in both word and visible action. I have no idea if the Report button does anything; if anyone picked it up, never mind if they took any action as a result. OK, there's an automated message, but that is merely coded to the action button to make the report. It means absolutely zero.

Let's be clear, I'm certainly not asking for any sort of public, shouting or naming and shaming on threads. That achieves nothing positive, but, if I have felt sufficiently moved or disturbed to hit the Report button, I do feel it would be both polite and correct to at least have my discomfiture and concern acknowledged, by the person picking it up. I wouldn't expect it for the bots, advertising sports or other websites, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

This isn't anything, targeting anyone, it is an attempt to put some of the things raised into context, and explain why people perhaps feel there is no point doing the things they should.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted on here. I'm so, so impressed by our commitment and passion, and the even-handedness with which we have given or received feedback.

Reactions: 11 people

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
we are all ill or related to ill people. That is all that really matters surely. People use the word bully too much. I think the people calling bully are the bullies sometimes.

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have to say I agree with @AndBreathe regarding the report button. We should know what happens next. A PM from admin would do.
When I was feeling intimidated some time ago, it really shook my confidence. Nothing happened when I hit report button, and a PM to admin went unanswered for 10 days until I repeated the PM. Then the person who had intimidated me disappeared. So I do not know if they were banned or reprimanded or what? Maybe they just got fed up with me? It still spooks me a bit.

Reactions: 4 people

Pipp

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Maybe I should not have admitted I get spooked. Invitation to trolls, but I am a lot more 'savvy' now, so won't be intimidated.
Would help to know what happens when we hit the report button though.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If I can comment, taking a different tack, noblehead.

You recommend a bullied poster hits the Report button, but what actually happens then? On the very small number of times I have felt compelled to hit the Report button, I have had absolutely no idea what, if anything, has transpired. For all I saw and experienced, I might as well have pressed my fingers together and chanted. There was silence in both word and visible action. I have no idea if the Report button does anything; if anyone picked it up, never mind if they took any action as a result. OK, there's an automated message, but that is merely coded to the action button to make the report. It means absolutely zero.

Let's be clear, I'm certainly not asking for any sort of public, shouting or naming and shaming on threads. That achieves nothing positive, but, if I have felt sufficiently moved or disturbed to hit the Report button, I do feel it would be both polite and correct to at least have my discomfiture and concern acknowledged, by the person picking it up. I wouldn't expect it for the bots, advertising sports or other websites, but I'm sure you know what I mean.

This isn't anything, targeting anyone, it is an attempt to put some of the things raised into context, and explain why people perhaps feel there is no point doing the things they should.

Thanks again to everyone who has posted on here. I'm so, so impressed by our commitment and passion, and the even-handedness with which we have given or received feedback.

I would expect that any issues raised by the Report option should be addressed by a Mod or member of Admin at the very least, and if the reported posts is in need of moderating then action should be taken.

As a rule I don't report many posts so don't know how well they are up to speed on dealing with these issues at the moment, but I'm sure these are the sort of issues you could take up with Giverny via the Conversations facility if you feel your complaints are not being addressed.

AndBreathe

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I would expect that any issues raised by the Report option should be addressed by a Mod or member of Admin at the very least, and if the reported posts is in need of moderating then action should be taken.

As a rule I don't report many posts so don't know how well they are up to speed on dealing with these issues at the moment, but I'm sure these are the sort of issues you could take up with Giverny via the Conversations facility if you feel your complaints are not being addressed.

Well, in order to check my memory for exactly what happens when the Report button is hit, I hit it on your post. I did state it was a test, with no action required, so don't worry. But, somebody, somewhere should be alerted to your post. Hopefully, they then might read on.

As regards asking for feedback on something, I did this once (not with Giverny) and get a response, but it didn't include specific feedback on my concern. I hope my experience was isolated, and I hadn't intended that it be discussed here, but it is relevant in the context of the current sub-topic.

Let's be clear. Moderation is a thankless task, but that doesn't negate the need for timely communication.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Well, in order to check my memory for exactly what happens when the Report button is hit, I hit it on your post. I did state it was a test, with no action required, so don't worry. But, somebody, somewhere should be alerted to your post. Hopefully, they then might read on.

As regards asking for feedback on something, I did this once (not with Giverny) and get a response, but it didn't include specific feedback on my concern. I hope my experience was isolated, and I hadn't intended that it be discussed here, but it is relevant in the context of the current sub-topic.

Let's be clear. Moderation is a thankless task, but that doesn't negate the need for timely communication.

I'll not worry and hope your reported post gets a response :)

Giverny has given some reassurance that issues will be addressed in your thread so you can't say fairer than that.

Reactions: 6 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As a rule I don't report many posts so don't know how well they are up to speed on dealing with these issues at the moment,

Since I am up and about fairly early in the morning I used to report the kitchen ads regularly. These were usually dealt with promptly.

Talking of losing the plot, what did the OP ask again?

Reactions: 6 people
Status
Not open for further replies.