No link between Driving & Hypo while you are asleep!

Ocho8

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Why does the DVLA link all hypo's with the ability to drive?

If you have a severe hypo whilst you are asleep during the day or in the night when you are in bed, why should this count towards the DVLA question regarding severe hypo's?

It's like asking Usain Bolt to run the olympics blindfolded and still expecting him to win!

Is there a process, web site oe even an MP who we can get this changed? Severe Hypo's whilst you are awake are tottally different to those when you are asleep!!!

This should be part of the DVLA qusetionaire, as the ability to know if you are going into a hypo is not possible whilst you are sleeping!

THERE IS NO CONNECTION BETWEEN A SEVERE HYPO WHILST YOU ARE ASLEEP AND THE ABILITY TO DRIVE!

This is another EU law inforced on us with no logical answer medically where the connection betweem sleep and driving.

Now....

Lets get this ludicrous unfound link between hypo's whilst you are asleep and the ability to drive overturned!

Any info regarding changing the law / DVLA would be appreciated!

Thanks

(We do need to get this changed as its unfair).

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
Dvla are supposedly at least lengthening the length of time they will renew our licences to more than 3 years as of sometime next year...

It is wrong, but just how do you reckon really to try and get things changed?

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not to sure if I fully understand, " if your asleep in the vehicle during your legal driving break, surely a Hypo could lead to a serious problem, eg; accidentally release of safety brake, even attempting to move the vehicle etc;" or am I on a different planet.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I understand that if on a break from driving then the driver should be in the rear seats thereby demonstrating that they are "not driving and not in control" of the vehicle.
Less likelihood of accidentally knocking any controls such as the handbrake.

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I understand that if on a break from driving then the driver should be in the rear seats thereby demonstrating that they are "not driving and not in control" of the vehicle.
Less likelihood of accidentally knocking any controls such as the handbrake.
That is a good point
"When a daily rest is taken, this may be taken in a vehicle, as long as it has suitable sleeping facilities
and is stationary
."
Not all vehicles abide by this rule. maybe that's why the rules are somewhat unfair.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This may be a European law, that's necessary because people with UK licences may use them in Europe and vice versa.

The committee that advised the EU on this included people from several different countries including the UK. The outside consultant on hypoglycaemia was in fact British but if you read the report it seems the question on nocturnal severe hypoglycaemia wasn't specifically addressed as a separate issue.
There was a petition about this a year or so ago. I mentioned to the complier of that petition that if he wanted to get authorities evidence he should perhaps contact the external advisor. (he might of course not agree)
The advisor was Professor Prof Brian Frier. He has written many articles and the standard text on hypoglycaemia. Perhaps you should contact him for his views . Until 2012 he was the chair of the DVLA diabetes medical panel. http://www.cvs.ed.ac.uk/users/brian-frier

(though, maybe, I should be complaining that because of the high British influence people on the committee which means T1s in France now have to go before a medical tribunal to review their licences! (personal doctors are not allowed to reveal confidential info so a state employed doctor is used)

Minnie_19

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
This may be a European law, that's necessary because people with UK licences may use them in Europe and vice versa.

The committee that advised the EU on this included people from several different countries including the UK. The outside consultant on hypoglycaemia was in fact British but if you read the report it seems the question on nocturnal severe hypoglycaemia wasn't specifically addressed as a separate issue.
There was a petition about this a year or so ago. I mentioned to the complier of that petition that if he wanted to get authorities evidence he should perhaps contact the external advisor. (he might of course not agree)
The advisor was Professor Prof Brian Frier. He has written many articles and the standard text on hypoglycaemia. Perhaps you should contact him for his views . Until 2012 he was the chair of the DVLA diabetes medical panel. http://www.cvs.ed.ac.uk/users/brian-frier

(though, maybe, I should be complaining that because of the high British influence people on the committee which means T1s in France now have to go before a medical tribunal to review their licences! (personal doctors are not allowed to reveal confidential info so a state employed doctor is used)
https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-dav...ed-carefully-in-the-context-of-the-individual