Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
So there you have it.
No Carbs no protein.
Just fat then.
But hey i dont like fat.
Having lost 35 kg or 72 pounds and got my diabetes under control i must have done something right.
I wonder what that was...a balanced diet maybe and portion control even and calorie control.
Not rocket science really.
I think we all forget that we need to eat something and some of that we have to enjoy.
So follow the blood test and find what's good and bad for you. Read those labels.
You are not a nerd as we all do it.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So there you have it.
No Carbs no protein.
Just fat then.
But hey i dont like fat.
Having lost 35 kg or 72 pounds and got my diabetes under control i must have done something right.
I wonder what that was...a balanced diet maybe and portion control even and calorie control.
Not rocket science really.
I think we all forget that we need to eat something and some of that we have to enjoy.
So follow the blood test and find what's good and bad for you. Read those labels.
You are not a nerd as we all do it.

Same story, and the same results as me. :)

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Low fat, portion controlled, low gi.

Whatever gives me good bs, usually in the 5's to 6's.
I don't eat saturated fat.
I don't eat pasta, rice, potatoes, but I do eat a lot of veg, pulses, low fat yoghurt, salad, lean meat, fish,
When I was diagnosed, I tested everything I ate, to come up with foods that didn't cause a rise in my bs.
I went on a low fat diet to lose weight, which greatly improved my insulin resistance.
I'm just about at my ideal weight, so I have introduced a bit more fat, about 33% of fat, protein, carbs, by calories, but remember fat has twice the calories per gram of the other two.
It works for me, I have got my bs down, I don't feel tired all the time, and I don't feel hungry.

I guess you could call 33% fat, low fat
I guess you could call 33% carb high carb
but what do we call 33% protein?

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess you could call 33% fat, low fat
I guess you could call 33% carb high carb
but what do we call 33% protein?
I think he said 33% fat, protein,carbs,by calories. Not 33% fat.
Thats a lot of fat to eat.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
yes, 33% fat by calories, he can call it low fat if he wants to, I'm cool with that :)

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
yes, 33% fat by calories, he can call it low fat if he wants to, I'm cool with that :)

Good,glad you have finally agreed you're cool with my diet, especially as it's mostly unsaturated.

Probably apart from 1 tablespoon of olive oil occasionally if I do fry,(120 calories) there's nothing else I add to anything, but even that's very occasional. Skimmed milk, low fat for the rest of my food, more than enough fat for my daily intake of calories.
Exceptions, - say 100g of cheese, half my daily fat intake.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 people

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good,glad you have finally agreed you're cool with my diet, especially as it's mostly unsaturated.

Probably apart from 1 tablespoon of olive oil occasionally if I do fry,(120 calories) there's nothing else I add to anything, but even that's very occasional. Skimmed milk, low fat for the rest of my food, more than enough fat for my daily intake of calories.
Exceptions, - say 100g of cheese, half my daily fat intake.

Its hard for LCHF to accept that others can survive there own way with out tags and jargon.
Its just food that our bodies can handle.
Not Swedish or hip and trendy just food that my body accepts and i like to eat and can eat.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I guess you missed my posts linking the Newcastle diet, I do it quite often

1/3, 1/3 and 1/3 I'm sure that would have a name. if it doesn't we should give it one. the big thurd diet

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I guess you missed my posts linking the Newcastle diet, I do it quite often

1/3, 1/3 and 1/3 I'm sure that would have a name. if it doesn't we should give it one. the big thurd diet

It particularly suits you if you seem to feel yet another label is required, and reinforced the sites opinion that you seem to stop at nothing to try to take new posters thread of track, just to try to throw a few insults about.

1andylock

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It particularly suits you if you seem to feel yet another label is required, and reinforced the sites opinion that you seem to stop at nothing to try to take new posters thread of track, just to try to throw a few insults about.

Clearly you dont understand we are trying to simplify the debate.
It is easy to over complicate what we eat.
Keep it simple and take the BS away and its just a balance.
Then new people dont get confused and find a way forward that works for them.

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
as long as people get their BG in range, it doesn't matter how it's done,
I've been off side with people when I suggest the poster could ask their Dr about more drugs,
the success of the Newcastle diet
because I think carb are almost addictive for some people
even my..fats and carbs are like a seesaw and as one goes down the other goes up

for me a low carb higher fat is working and I'm not hungry, my bloods are good and I'm losing weight, how can I say it's not working for me.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Glad we all agree jack, and I'm glad you accept your diet suits you, and the op needs to find one that suits them, maybe such as 1andylock, and myself suggest.
If you found carbs addictive, fair enough, avoid them, in case they draw you back in.
I can't say I do, so I have no issue with them, I can pick then up, eat the portion, then stop.
So no more needs be said on the subject then, let's keep the thread on track.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. No need to make it complicated. Just keep the carbs down; perhaps 150gm/day initially and see what the meter says and increase the fats and protein as needed to give enough calories and nutrients to keep you healthy and sensibly full.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi. No need to make it complicated. Just keep the carbs down; perhaps 150gm/day initially and see what the meter says and increase the fats and protein as needed to give enough calories and nutrients to keep you healthy and sensibly full.
Yes exactly that Daibell, there's no need to complicate matters and no need to fell hungry at all

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Bit worrying, as that's appeared twice now, and really should be pointed out.
Maybe the rush to agree is overcoming the warnings, and the fear of feeling vaguely hungry?

But, at the risk of repeating advice, protein can cause problems if kidney function is impaired, excess protein turns to glucose, so protein is always worth watching.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Poor Pip16 (the OP, in case anyone had forgotten).

Yet another thread started with a genuine request for advice, but wrecked by unhelpful squabbling.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Poor Pip16 (the OP, in case anyone had forgotten).

Yet another thread started with a genuine request for advice, but wrecked by unhelpful squabbling.

I entirely agree.
It's a shame that choice seems to be frowned on by some.

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I entirely agree.
It's a shame that choice seems to be frowned on by some.

Then why do you do it?

(That was a rhetorical question. If you wish to respond, please PM me.
If you answer on the open forum then you are sustaining the derailment)

Reactions: 4 people