Rant about work!!!

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all.

Sorry to post a negative but I need to let off steam!

I started my new job in May. I took over my function the 9th June. I took on a job which had a lot of problems caused by the person I took over from - I shall call them Fred - and by their own bad practices. I highlighted the problems and my proposed actions in a meeting on the 9th. That night I was admitted to hospital for 3 days and diagnosed as type 1. I returned the following Monday- bearing in mind they all knew what had happened- to the same weekly meeting where they said nastily "well nothing's changed since last week. Maybe we need to bring Fred back" !!!!

Anyway, I have highlighted many issues and suggested an implemented actions, which all members of the meeting are accountable for.

Anyway, they have told my boss that all these problems have started since I joined!!! Basically that I caused them all. I am very upset and I believe they are taking advantage of my vulnerability due to a big shock in my life. I honestly think one of their behaviours can be likened to bullying, blaming me because they see me as weak rather than take responsibility.

I really don't know how to handle it and the stress is messing up my blood glucose!

Any advice?

jack412

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
my guess....you're seen as a them, fred was an us...that's probably why he's not there any more...as long as your boss knows it's bitching, I can't really see a problem .. your wish to be liked and accepted by the group may or may not happen.

Emmotha

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You're right about the "us" and "them". My brother tells me not to be a wimp and just carry on doing what I'm there to be paid to do, which is not to make friends.

I'm just worried my boss won't realise what's going on

moz1

It is hard, be strong and stay the course. Do not stoop to their level although you probably feel like giving them a slap. It takes time to show them why Fred is not there any more! I am sure they will come around if not they will probably go to join Fred! Lol chin up all the best!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It would appear that there's some resentment and jealousy going on from your work colleagues, is your position above those who are doing the complaining, if so I would say that they secretly wanted the job themselves and were turned down or were not confidant enough to apply for it, either way don't let them get you down and just stick with it.

Reactions: 4 people

Serenasaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
bosses don't seem to understand diabetes. mine doesn't anyway. im off with work related stress due to the fact, after 7 years hard work, im told i will "never be offered a full time position because you're unreliable with your diabetes and you might become pregnant one day." i am gutted. :(

Bazzza

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im told i will "never be offered a full time position because you're unreliable with your diabetes and you might become pregnant one day.

I'm pretty sure that's borderline for the grounds sexism...specifically about the pregnant part! I'd sue them :p

Reactions: 4 people

Serenasaurus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm pretty sure that's borderline for the grounds sexism...specifically about the pregnant part! I'd sue them :p
yep thought about it. got some advice and can't prove anything cos SHE said it behind closed doors etc. :/ its a bit grim tbh

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

I agree, what is that statement all about...........

if I were you I would leave there as soon as you can............7 years part time seems odd, but everyone has different circumstances..........your obviously looking for a full time position.........time to go........;)

sorry for hijacking your thread @Emmotha ..........

Reactions: 2 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Your boss employed you, so he'll know what you're there for.

And you don't have a pleasant job to do, as you said, Fred caused the problems, but they were in there with him, and now it's catching up with them.
'Anyway, I have highlighted many issues and suggested an implemented actions, which all members of the meeting are accountable for.'

I would guess they want the old days of doing nothing back.

But your boss won't.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
People like the security of a group and feel emboldened by it. You may have to publically clip someone's wings, eg by telling them that unless they have something positive to contribute, to leave the room. The others usually fall into line because none of them will want to be singled out. Spend a bit of time working out who to target and how to do it and you'll come accross as more self assured. Practice if you have to. Even Churchill spent hours in front of a mirror rehearsing.

Have a google for some witty put downs, eg:

My manager Sally, is from England and has pale, pale, pale white skin; not unlike a porcelain doll. She told me this story. Upon meeting a work colleague's husband (Lou) for the first time, Lou said to Sally, 'So Sal, when are you going to get a tan?'.

Appalled, Sally cut him down with 'When you grow hair'. The fat, bald and unfunny Lou didn't say a word for the rest of the encounter.

Karen Brady who is on the Apprentice manages a football team and of course came in for a lot of rigging from the players. One who got a bit bold on the team's bus said something about having to put up with a woman so she publically said that he wouldn't have to anymore because she had decided to sell him.

Last edited by a moderator: