Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Sometimes I just raid the fridge and freezer and add chicken stock cubes. But my best soup is very simple.
Just three ingredients I buy a pack of cooking bacon offcuts from ASDA 500g and much cheaper than lardons
Cut your bacon up .Soak a lot of dried Marrowfat peas overnight, rinse well.
Simmer both together with plenty of white pepper.
Hubby has it smooth I love it chunky
This tasty pea and ham soup sounds super .

Why are the best soups or stews I whizz up the ones
where you just grab a few bits and chuck them in together ?

Its a bit like when I am in a rush and just quickly do my hair
and make up .
I end up looking far better - than when take I ages over these .

These quick rustle up meals always end up being far more tastier
and are so much easier to do .
Than the ones I have done from scratch via a fancy recipe .

Maybe its ' how ' I do these ?

Reactions: 2 people

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I ummed and aahed, but eventually caved and bought a soup maker on offer at Robert Dyas. I find it very convenient and have been enjoying lots of vegetable soups of all kinds. Chop your veg (and maybe bacon) and fry briefly, maybe in butter, add to soup maker with stock, turn on and return after 25 minutes to lovely soup. I've used everything from yesterday's leftovers (cauliflower and cabbage) to chestnut and dried porcini mushrooms, served with a truffle cream for a dinner party last weekend.

badbrogs21

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
i just went out and brought a new blender time to get some indigence what soup to make lol never done a homemade soup.

louismum

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
I love my soup maker. I'm going to give the pea and ham soup a try.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
About a week ago I made carrot and mixed peppers (from my freezer) soup. And I added 1/2 red onion ( from the fridge) about a pint and a half of Veg stock (gluten free)season to taste, only used pepper and cooked it in my new slow cooker and then gave it a blitz, tbh it was one of the nicest tasting soup ever and I have a portion left in the freezer. Yummy :D

RRB

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
About a week ago I made carrot and mixed peppers (from my freezer) soup. And I added 1/2 red onion ( from the fridge) about a pint and a half of Veg stock (gluten free)season to taste, only used pepper and cooked it in my new slow cooker and then gave it a blitz, tbh it was one of the nicest tasting soup ever and I have a portion left in the freezer. Yummy :D

RRB

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm......does sound nice RRB :)

Carrot & Coriander soup is nice too.

frankman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Friends, I'm a new member, and I just found this stew and soup forum. I've had a quick read it and it's very informative indeed.

I'm not the greatest cook, but I can feed myself and the family which is ok. I'd afraid and nervous to cook for anyone else.

Are there any ingredients that are not suitable for diabetics? I know onions and garlic are brilliant. Whenever I make a soup or stew and I think it's boring, I simply add a can of tomatoes - magic!

K

Kat100

Today I made a large pot of brocollie and Stilton soup ....it was very nice ...plenty left ...

Veggie and bean hotpot tonight with veggie sausage ....

If you use soya sauce .and .just a bit of chilli powder .and lemon juice ..you can make a bbq flavoured veggie stew ..nice as well , I would use quorn ...but meat would work ..

K

Kat100

Hello Friends, I'm a new member, and I just found this stew and soup forum. I've had a quick read it and it's very informative indeed.

I'm not the greatest cook, but I can feed myself and the family which is ok. I'd afraid and nervous to cook for anyone else.

Are there any ingredients that are not suitable for diabetics? I know onions and garlic are brilliant. Whenever I make a soup or stew and I think it's boring, I simply add a can of tomatoes - magic!
Those tims of tomatoes are just great .....but I love to roast fresh tomatoes with a pepper and garlic ..then bliz into a soup ...
Don't be afraid to cook ..trying is part of the fun ....;)

Welcome as well ....

Last edited:
K

Kat100

i just went out and brought a new blender time to get some indigence what soup to make lol never done a homemade soup.
Have you got your car keys sorted out, hopefully for the best.
( brought back a memory, we misplaced out tv control, found it 15 years later when cleaning out the dummy wishing well. the culprit was our little nephew never thought to ask him at the time.)
Can you smell that lovely aroma, My wife is cooking "Porotos Granados" something us posh veggies have this time of the year.
Come to think about it I think it is pumpkin stew.
images
lol just seen this ....@izzzi but my broomstick has just been put away until next year :woot:

madperson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Fish-ugh & rudeness
they all sound fab, but I think I'll try the bacon & peas- better give to master when he's going to be out of the house, he's a walking methane machine:wacky:

frankman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those tims of tomatoes are just great .....but I love to roast fresh tomatoes with a pepper and garlic ..then bliz into a soup ...
Don't be afraid to cook ..trying is part of the fun ....;)

Welcome as well ....

Hello Kat, thank you for your replies. See, I'm just a bloke, but I feel, with some inspiration from my friends here, and on food programmes on TV, I could be a little adventurous! Those roast tomatoes sound brilliant, I think I can do that.

I've also got a cat, his name is Buddy. Our daughter brought him home about 10 years ago as a kitten. He had been abused by some horrible people.

Frank.

K

Kat100

Hello Kat, thank you for your replies. See, I'm just a bloke, but I feel, with some inspiration from my friends here, and on food programmes on TV, I could be a little adventurous! Those roast tomatoes sound brilliant, I think I can do that.

I've also got a cat, his name is Buddy. Our daughter brought him home about 10 years ago as a kitten. He had been abused by some horrible people.

Frank.
Hi frank ..yes you can make soup and anything else you want to .... :) I can't add those cut and paste links with ideas but someone else might ...
I just use a large pan and one of those hand held blizzers ...I am a rustic cook ...
Great ideas on the tv programmes ....and in magazines etc , I just adapt , I think a lot of people do ...
Soup freezes well
Well most things do ...always useful that ...
What do,you mean just a bloke ...a lot of famous chefs are male :rolleyes:

Your cat buddy sounds lovely , it is so awful how animals are mistreated ....glad buddy is with you ...:cat:
Chat soon kat

Helsin

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Channel 4's Sunday Brunch (see website) had a lovely looking Venetian Chicken Stew last week. Made with chicken thighs cooked with a cinnamon stick, saffron, some other curry spices, ground almonds and almond milk. Also some chopped dates, but that could be optional.

frankman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hello Helsin,

I'll have to look that up, it really sounds exciting.

Frank.