Flu vac. Yes or no?

G

graj0

How stupid do I feel. Was at the nurse on Thursday and was offered the flu vac but said no. Started feeling dodgy Friday and have just been to the docs today after trying to cure myself with paracetamol. Not slept in days due to high temp , sore joints, swollen glands, nausea and terrified as bs all over the place. Once this is over I will be going back to the nurse with my tail between my legs:-(
Don't feel too bad, a lot of people who say that the flu jab gives them flu have actually contracted the virus in the few days before the jab. Not everyone, but a lot. So the jab on Thursday would not have stopped the flu on Friday. It might not be any good having a jab now until next year, but obviously consulting a proper medic is best advise.

kesun

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I usually get the jab, but it's important to remember that although it lessens the risk it doesn't eliminate it: as @Brunneria said, it only vaccinates against last year's flu. A few weeks after my first ever flu vaccination I was astonished to go down with flu - and the doctor explained that I'd caught the wrong kind of flu: I had a strain of influenza B when the world was worried about bird flu and swine flu, both strains of influenza A.

I still have the jab, but I feel less invincible than I did previously: therefore I'm careful about handwashing and encourage my children to use a hanky, to try to limit infection spreading rather than relying purely on the vaccination.

Kate

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I plan on having it, better call up today and organise it. Apparently my local surgery is already filled up until the end of November :banghead:

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I am a Type 2 diabetic for over 12 years now, and I will NEVER have a Flu Jab, Why?, because I have 2 reasons not too. The first is that its a virus and it changes, so last years vaccines may be inefficient againt this years Flu Strain, Secondly and most importantly, I take a non medical product for over 7 years now, and never get a cold, sore throat or any Flu like symptoms. It called Colloidal Silver, and it wards off all the nasty bugs from my system for over those last 7 years. I would not be without this product, and I start taking it from Beginning of Sept until the last day of March

Reactions: 2 people

MsPrim

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Lemons
I had my first flu jab in years last week - i used to get them when i was in my teens when i had asthma also, which luckily i grew out of. Whenever i was told by a doctor or nurse i needed to have a flu jab i always got a cold/cough/flu before i got the jab - which is weird :D

But i have never had any complications - thank God ;)

Reactions: 3 people

andcol

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Had mine this morning, fast paved up to the GPs and ran home afterwards. Great exercise and only a kilometre each way. Shame it won't stop this **** cold I have though. The sore through is so annoying. Luckily still running in the 4s and 5s so no harm done there.

I say have it - what have you got to lose!

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Been having the flu jab since 2010 .
Never had a reaction until this years flu shot .

Battled flu symptoms and unbelievable tiredness
for 2.5 weeks after 48hrs of having it done :yuck:

Discovered they have included swine flu prediction
in this years strain .
Maybe this is how and why I reacted to it ?

C

chris lowe

I plan on having it, better call up today and organise it. Apparently my local surgery is already filled up until the end of November :banghead:
I think that Boots & Lloyds Pharmacies are doing free flu shots (Iknow my local chemist is doing them) but check them out first to make sure. If you do get one done therejust let the surgery know you've had one done. My surgery gives out two dates where you can just turn up and get a jab,
They have about four doctors doing the jabs normally a long queue but it's in the front door & out the back a bit like a conveyor belt so never a long wait.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
the media is full of "if you have certain conditions you must get the flu jab". But I keep getting no appointments available.:(

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I haven't been able to get it the last couple of years.:(

Why is that may I ask, you don't have to go to your gp surgery to have the flu jab, most high street pharmacies offer this service and they write to your gp to say you've had the flu jab done.

this is too difficult two

Type of diabetes
Don't have diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Why is that may I ask, you don't have to go to your gp surgery to have the flu jab, most high street pharmacies offer this service and they write to your gp to say you've had the flu jab done.
Never knew that Mate. The receptionists always tell me I have to wait for an appointment.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Never knew that Mate. The receptionists always tell me I have to wait for an appointment.

Well you know now :) I had mine done in the Asda pharmacy last year and in the Sainsbury's pharmacy this year, all they do is take a few details and then write to your gp surgery to say you've had it done, I find it much better to do it this way as you can get the flu jab when your in store shopping, so much more cconvenient than trying to fit in with the sugery's timetable.

dtennant9

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think that Boots & Lloyds Pharmacies are doing free flu shots (Iknow my local chemist is doing them) but check them out first to make sure. If you do get one done therejust let the surgery know you've had one done. My surgery gives out two dates where you can just turn up and get a jab,
They have about four doctors doing the jabs normally a long queue but it's in the front door & out the back a bit like a conveyor belt so never a long wait.

Thanks alot. Apparently they weren't as busy as they made out and I got an appointment for next Thursday.

Reactions: 3 people

kennethjames

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bogus 'must take' remedies.
Wonder how much the NHS is charged per flu vaccine given. Anybody know?

Paulabetts

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
meat selfish people slugs and snails
I have mine every year. usually makes my tongue go numb no idea why. This year I was actually sick very unusual but not put off having next years. I know I now take a long time to recover from bugs viruses and other medical probs and having a numb tongue or throwing up once a year is far preferable to being ill for weeks