Flu vac. Yes or no?

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Join the club Smidge, I think injecting everyday makes us control freaks and we don't like the thought of others injecting us. I have to look away and hate seeing the needle coming anywhere near me, I've had a few comments from Dr's & Nurses who are surprised that I'm like this given that I inject myself 4 times a day.
Yes, I can't look when someone else injects me, but it's more the whacking great syringes vs the 5mm hair thin on a pen, plus with yourself, you know when to stop a second when it stings. Well I say I can't look, but then I always look at precisely the wrong moment, I think my mind likes playing tricks on me, I don't consciously do it.

Reactions: 2 people

Lucy-M

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What, are you too use to google the basics of how vaccines work? I'm pretty sure I learned the basic idea in kindergarten (when exposed to viruses your body produces antibodies which help you fight subsequent infections, and clever people realised that if you use weakened/dead/inert viruses instead of the real thing you lower the risk of people dying before they can develop a full immune response). Some viruses change rapidly, meaning that you need to get a new vaccine for the latest strain every year.

What makes you think that this is "dodgy"? The fact that we don't have a single shot that cures all disease? Guess what, there are plenty of diseases we don't have cures for (e.g. Cancer) and even if we manage to find a cure then they will simply be replaced by new diseases (much like no one used to worry about cancer because they simply didn't live long enough to die of cancer), so jumping to the conclusion that there must be a conspiracy because there's no cure is insane,

Ok ok!. Don't have a go. I don't think it's a 'conspiracy'. Can't quite explain it. Maybe I just need more information instead of just been told "quick here's a jab TAKE IT!". Also I set up this topic to see just how many diabetics do/don't take the jab and their reasons.

Reactions: 6 people

manicarrie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Ok ok!. Don't have a go. I don't think it's a 'conspiracy'. Can't quite explain it. Maybe I just need more information instead of just been told "quick here's a jab TAKE IT!". Also I set up this topic to see just how many diabetics do/don't take the jab and their reasons.
Sometimes it's ok to trust your gut instincts. Have you grabbed the leaflet from the surgery? Maybe that will have the information for you to make a decision that is right for you. I have decided yes, for my own reasons stated above. BUT, and I am awaiting a backlash on this one, I have not had my 6yo son done with the MMR. The reason being, is that I heard from a nurse a fair few years back that there is a link between that and Crohns. There is already Crohns in the family so I know how dangerous and debilitating it can be. my son has digestive issues anyway.My biggest issue is that NO health professional I have asked from health visitor to nurses, to gp, to consultants at the hospital can give me a definitive NO. Yes I could google it, but the answer is in medical jargon, and I would like the facts presented so that I can understand them. A couple of health professionals have asked Public Health to ring me back with the answer, they haven't. So, unless I can have a definite no, I feel that the risk of measles is quite low versus what Crohns can do. I am not necessarily talking about the effects of measles being low risk, rather, the risk of him catching it as last year we had a massive MMR campaign round here with a massive uptake.
The point I am making is that I for one am not judging you on wanting to know the facts before going ahead with something. google is all well and good, but full of false information as good. I do know that the Welsh flu leaflets do have a number for further info.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Yes, I can't look when someone else injects me, but it's more the whacking great syringes vs the 5mm hair thin on a pen, plus with yourself, you know when to stop a second when it stings. Well I say I can't look, but then I always look at precisely the wrong moment, I think my mind likes playing tricks on me, I don't consciously do it.

4mm here, but you make point :)

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Definitely in the yes camp.

< sharon>

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
extreme hot weather
Yes , would rather have a flu jab than risk getting full blown flu ,which is not a pleasant experience.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Robinredbreast - I think they can use the leg. I mentioned to the nurse after my jab that I'd be less namby if I injected myself, and she responded that she doesn't see why I shouldn't but I'd probably have to jab my leg as the arm would be difficult to reach. So I think they just use the arm for expediency as it's quickly accessible.

Smidge
I've certainly considered doing my own. Here you have to take the form to the doctor he signs it (that will be 23€ please), take it to the pharmacy who gives you the vaccine and syringe , go back to the doctor to do the injection (23€); I do get most of the money back!
I've read of other Brits over here doing it and they aren't even used to injecting themselves

G

graj0

I'm going to have my jab as soon as I can because I don't want the flu, man flu or otherwise. LOL I've had flu once and do not want it again if I can avoid it. Same goes for pneumonia and I've had a jab for that as well.

K

Kat100

Had my flu jab this week , then the pneumonia one , now I can't lift my arms very much ...in the night both arms became swallowenand felt like bee stings ..I am not very good with these things ....but it will be fine in a few days ....I am never sure if I am doing right or wrong ,,but some chronic other health conditions make my mind up for me.....x

julifriend

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've booked to have my jab at my health centre in a couple of weeks time. As I'm also asthmatic and have had the full range of chest problems all the way from a collapsed lung to pneumonia I'm not prepared to take any unnecessary risks.

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I totally agree with manicarrie . I would not wish DKA on my worst enemy it was one of the most frightening things I have experienced together with being hospitalised 200 miles from home for a week. Anything that helps reduce the possible risk of developing DKA has to be a good thing. I had my flu jab today, slightly raised BS this evening, but I corrected with extra insulin shot and appear ok. If I caught the flu it would be difficult to manage my diabetes plus the flu itself would be horrendous even with diabetes.

coco44

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hmmm that should read "difficult to manage without diabetes" :arghh:

Googum

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Am having my jab this week plus pneumonia jab i recommend any one to have one

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
I always have the flu jab and for me its a no brainer and I cant understand why anyone would choose not have it and risk the awful consequences of contracting such a debilitating condition as influencer which KILLS thousands of people every single year.

Its free and it could save your life or at the very least help remove the risk of a fortnight off work and unable to get up out of bed.

edit...ps and ive never had any sort of bad reaction at all.

rgibson

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was once explained to me that the NHS has little money so if they are offering you something for free it must be worthwhile :) I'll be having mine on Thursday :) x

Ali H

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had mine this morning and have rung the nurse to get them out to do my parents (both housebound due to age and illness). My partner is having his done at the clinic in a fortnight. We always have them, none of us can risk having the flu with 3 diabetics in the house, 2 of which are very old.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had real flu years ago. I paid for my flu jab at the chemist for a few years, but now I'm a fully fledged card carrying diabetic, I jumped at the chance of having a free one from my GP.
One dose of influenza is enough for one lifetime!

Reactions: 3 people

trixietoes

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Up until last year I would never have it, but nurse qpersuaded me to have it. Had mine this morning. I know my mum had it every year for years, the one year she didint have it for some reason was the only time she ever caught the flu!